The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 10:46 AM

jhardin80 is on a distinguished road
Default Everyone says good tools

I looked at the sticky about the fly tying materials but I was wondering what list of tools I needed and what brand(s) are "good" tools to get. I'm just getting into fly tying (well trying to, haven't bought anything yet) and would like to know what you all consider to be "good" tools and what tools a beginner would need?

I start looking at things like a hair stacker, but what size would be a good size? 3", 2" 1.5"?

What type of scissors? There are about a million different wordings for the scissors. LOL

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:07 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Everyone says good tools

good tools

scissors = dr slick (for the small stuff) fiskars (for the big stuff)

whip finisher = your fingers. learn to whip finish by hand.

bobbin holder = anything with a ceramic tube

bodkin = needle stuck into a balsa dowel

half hitch tools = your fingers

hair stacker = how long is the hair you want to stack? get the appropriate size

hackle guards = your fingers

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 09-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Consider getting yourself a copy of Charlie Craven's book "Basic Fly Tying", you won't regret it.
Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish: Charlie Craven: 9780979346026: Amazon.com: Books Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish: Charlie Craven: 9780979346026: Amazon.com: Books

There are lots of very good scissors on the market, the kind I like are the 5.5" length tungsten Sixth Finger Scissors.
Singlebarbed Sixth Finger Scissors | J. Stockard Fly Fishing

Here is the style of hair stacker I use:
Crest Tools Hour Glass Hair Stacker | J. Stockard Fly Fishing
hairwing530 and jgentile like this.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:31 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Norman that you need to learn to whip finish by hand before you start using a tool. You'll "get it" easier.

But I've never felt the need for a ceramic bobbin, stainless has always worked fine for me.
And my fine pointed scissors came from a fabric store. You don't need to pay extra for fly tying specific
Old 09-04-2014, 11:31 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Each tyer has their own preference...these are mine:

Hair stacker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxCYiRd6AN0

Scissors:

Dr. Slick Co.*•*Catalog *>*Scissors*>*Razor

Dr. Slick Co.*•*Catalog *>*Scissors*>*Tungsten Carbide

The Anvil USA Pet Grooming Scissor model

...and, if you can find any of these, get them...just because...

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.ph...iew&target=509

PT/TB
mcnerney, hairwing530 and jgentile like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 09-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

You will see some well know fly tiers hand whip finish and others will use a tool. My friend, Gary Borger uses a Matarelli. Charlie Craven and Davie McPhail, two of the best fly tiers in the world use Matarelli whip finishers. Davie McPhail also lays a bit of head cement on the thread before the whip finish rather than afterwards.

There are two common types of whip finishers, the Matarelli and the Thompson. Most tiers prefer the Matarelli.

Click the image to open in full size.

It is not right or wrong to use a tool or whip by hand. However, there is a right and wrong way to whip finish. Most fly tiers do not know that the direction of the whip finish is important. The goal is to get a tight whip finish with the thread wraps laid adjacent going toward the hook eye.

Whip Finish direction (Amanda--) - The Fly Tying Bench - Fly Tying

As to whether to whip by hand or use a tool, use the method that is fastest and most accurate for you. Although I know how to hand whip finish, I can do that faster and easier with a tool than by hand so I use a Matarelli.

Charlie Craven uses the Matarelli to tie his two minute parachute adams AND he whips TOWARDS the hook eye.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here are two videos that show tow methods of using the Matarelli. I use a single 5 turn whip finish on my flies.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-04-2014, 12:01 PM

jhardin80 is on a distinguished road

You use all of those scissors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

And from this list, what is the good stuff? How do I know I am getting good hackle or what not?

Are there certain brands that are good? Where does everyone on here the ties get their stuff from?

1. Hooks (in different styles and sizes)
2. Thread (6/0 to start in black & white)
3. Pheasant Tail (center feathers when possible for the longest fibers)
4. Peacock Herl (eye feathers and strung herl)
5. Marabou (blood quills are better)
6. Deer hair
7. Elk hair
8. Buck tail (in different colors like red, yellow, or white)
9. Lead or non-lead wire (in different sizes)
10. Ribbing wire (silver, copper & gold)
11. Rooster Hackle (grizzly, brown, white & dun) A good option is an introduction pack
12. Hen neck or saddle (grizzly, brown, dun etc) (great for soft hackle & wings)
13. Hungarian Partridge Skin (great for soft hackles)
14. Dubbing dispenser of hares ear (various colors) & superfine dubbing for dry flies
15. Gray duck or goose wing feathers (used for wing cases)
16. Head cement
17. Tinsel and other flash materials (in assorted colors)
18. Calf tail (start with white, add colors when necessary)
19. Yarns & chenille (used for making bodies, both in assorted colors)
20. Floss (1 strand or 4 strand in assorted colors)
21. Strung hackle (practice wrapping hackle with this. cheap alternative to the pricey hackles)

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:30 PM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardin80 View Post
I personally have a pair (short) dedicated for thread and the mats on my smaller dry flies and nymphs. I have a longer pair for bigger bugs too. In addition I have a pair that I use for hair and one for rough stuff (foam & chenille). You don't need to get four or five pairs all at once. Buy a good pair, treat them with respect (don't use them to cut wire) and they will take care of your for a good long while.

As far as materials.... start with just enough to tie say... two patterns pick a nymph and a dry or a nymph and a simple streamer. Tie them up in a variety of practical sizes and expand from there.

One practical tool that I did not see mentioned was a hackle/hook gauge.

Have fun! After 6 months of tying you are going to have mats all over the place!!!
Old 09-04-2014, 02:32 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardin80 View Post

I have, and use, about 7 different pairs of scissors depending on what I'm tying or cutting. I've got micro tipped scissors for general purpose small flies, and regular 4" scissors for normal sized trout bugs. I have a pair of thinning shears for thinning out EP fibers, a pair of synthetic material scissors, and a pair of hair scissors, and another pair of hair scissors with a rounded blade to make trimming the collar of bass bugs easier. I also have a pair of general purpose scissors with a rounded blade that I don't use very often.

Now, beginners don't need anywhere near that many scissors. In fact, I don't need that many scissors. I could get by just fine with two or three pairs. But I buy these tools to make my tying process more enjoyable and easier.

If I was just starting out, I'd get a pair of Dr. Slicks 4" all purpose scissors. That's all you need to have when you're just starting out. And they'll last you a long time if you take care of them (don't cut wire).

The whip finishing by hand advice is good, though I don't really find it necessary. I whip finish about 1/2 of my flies by hand, but also like the Materelli style whip finishing tool. To me, knowing how to finish by hand isn't necessary, but it is definitely helpful sometimes.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:38 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
good tools

scissors = dr slick (for the small stuff) fiskars (for the big stuff)

whip finisher = your fingers. learn to whip finish by hand.

bobbin holder = anything with a ceramic tube

bodkin = needle stuck into a balsa dowel

half hitch tools = your fingers

hair stacker = how long is the hair you want to stack? get the appropriate size

hackle guards = your fingers
Only thing I'd really add to this is a bobbin treader and a second bobbin holder. With first you can just stick the thread up a bit and 'suck it through,' but that's a bit of a pain. The second bobbin holder will save you a hell of fooling around as you change thread colours.

Lastly would be a second set of cheap scissors. If you're going to be using 'metal' of some sort in your ties this will really dull up the cutting blades quickly.

fae
hairwing530 and james w 3 3 like this.