The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2014, 04:39 AM

fattmallard is on a distinguished road
Default Montana Fly Company Hooks (Anyone use them)

Looking at stocking up on hooks and found some of these on ebay. Anyone use these? I normally use Mustad and TMC.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:59 AM

hairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Montana Fly Company Hooks (Anyone use them)

Wish I could help, my friend, but my preferences long have been Mustad, Daiichi and Tiemco hooks, with some of the Orvis Big Eye thrown in for good measure...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:32 AM

flytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud of

i have seen them but have not used them

they shouldn't be any different than the rest of the boutique hooks out there

you should also give allen fly fishing hooks a look at. very good hooks at a very reasonable price + excellent customer service

http://www.allenflyfishing.com/fly-hooks-etc/

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 09-12-2014, 09:04 AM

hmoosek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
i have seen them but have not used them

they shouldn't be any different than the rest of the boutique hooks out there

you should also give allen fly fishing hooks a look at. very good hooks at a very reasonable price + excellent customer service

Fly Hooks Etc. - Allen Fly Fishing Store
Thanks for that link! Great prices.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:37 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I bought 200 MFC dry fly hooks once, I believe I threw away 197. The first few bent in the vise way to easy so I just chucked them

I use Dai Riki primarily and you can stock up at Blue Quill Angler online

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 09-12-2014, 01:03 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I used to use MFC hooks. The shop I frequent most often switched to them exclusively a few years ago so I bought them and used them for a while. But I started to find the hooks breaking at the bend, and not just a couple times. It was with smaller hooks, #14 or so, but still, this is the majority size of the flies I use.

I often mash the barb in the jaws of the vise and wondered if I weakened some of the hooks by doing that too hard. I don't know. I never made a big deal about it, I don't if it is a wide spread problem or not. But I switched to Daiichi for the most part, but will use any of the old trusted brands, and haven't had the problem anymore.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:17 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I've also tried the MFC hooks and as flytire said, don't see any difference in them than other hooks I've tried. I have not had any issue with the MFC hooks myself, but have not used them extensively either.

I'll also recommend the Allen hooks. Very good hooks, especially for the price.

Another supplier I've gotten hooks from is "hardydeluxe" on Ebay. He sells some different brands, and some that he sells are made by Maruto in Japan. (Japan's oldest hook manufacturer.) They're very good hooks too. I used them a lot when I was tying commercially.

His prices are very good too.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 09-13-2014, 02:03 PM

flycaster1977 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I used to use MFC hooks. The shop I frequent most often switched to them exclusively a few years ago so I bought them and used them for a while. But I started to find the hooks breaking at the bend, and not just a couple times. It was with smaller hooks, #14 or so, but still, this is the majority size of the flies I use.

I often mash the barb in the jaws of the vise and wondered if I weakened some of the hooks by doing that too hard. I don't know. I never made a big deal about it, I don't if it is a wide spread problem or not. But I switched to Daiichi for the most part, but will use any of the old trusted brands, and haven't had the problem anymore.
Ran into the exact same issue with mfc. Broke quite a few on small snags and such. I use alot of streamer hooks, so mine were all larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
comeonavs likes this.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:55 PM

fattmallard is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that link flytire, and thanks for the other info guys. I believe I will just stick with the mustads and tiemco I have been using.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:22 AM

hairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant future

fattmallard,

In a completely shameless plug, I posted the first of my "2014 600+ Hooks" boxes last night in the Classifieds under "Fly Tying..." Give it a look and see if the Mustad, Daiichi and Tiemco collection meets your needs...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
fattmallard likes this.