The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2014, 08:28 PM

amertens is on a distinguished road
Default Right hander trying to teach left hander.

So this isn't really a question or much of a topic, but I am right handed and was showing my left handed buddy who recently started fly fishing a few simple flies....

Please tell me I'm not the only idiot who couldn't figure out how to do a whip finish left handed if his life depended on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Right hander trying to teach left hander.

I'm just the opposite, left handed trying to teach my grandson to tie flies, of course he is right handed, so I know what you are talking about, it's not easy.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:46 PM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

I am a south paw too. Let him watch you and than let him do it , leftys learn to adapt. That's why we are so smart !

EDIT: I just thought of this , if I am so dam smart , why did I take the tippet ring off the baby pin BEFORE I tied it on ????

Last edited by eastfly66; 10-17-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:41 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

half hitches are ambidextrous

or

check out you tube for left handed whip finish
hairwing530 likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 10-20-2014, 07:51 PM

depenner will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=amertens;707013]So this isn't really a question or much of a topic, but I am right handed and was showing my left handed buddy who recently started fly fishing a few simple flies....

Please tell me I'm not the only idiot who couldn't figure out how to do a whip finish left handed if his life depended on it!

I'm right-handed, but followed Charlie Craven's advice I started my tying by doing it left handed. That way, I use my dominant (right) hand to place materials and my non-dominant to handle the thread. Really don't remember any great difficulty using a whip finish tool with my left hand, but it was a few years ago that I started (but I had never tied before so didn't have any muscle memory of doing whip finishes right handed).

david
jgentile likes this.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:13 PM

Hmm, interesting idea David. I had never even thought about it that way. Right handed is just comfortable for me.

I can't dribble a basketball left handed. I tried reeling in my buddies fly pole and found it easier to hold the real knob and move the pole.

My left hand is a stubborn jerk!

Old 10-22-2014, 02:48 PM

depenner will become famous soon enough

I'm definitely right-handed. But, I'm a woodworker and at times find myself having to use my left hand to do something; so, I'm somewhat comfortable using my left hand.

I didn't find it difficult to learn to tie left-handed. Maybe, because I had never tied before, I didn't have any muscle memory to get in the way. I guess I could test that hypothesis out by learning to tie right handed---but I'm not that interested in doing that.

david
Old 10-22-2014, 02:51 PM

Here is a thought! Maybe I put the vice on the table and have us sit opposite of each other with the vice in between. I tie right, he sees left, and vice versa!

Old 10-22-2014, 04:27 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by amertens View Post
Here is a thought! Maybe I put the vice on the table and have us sit opposite of each other with the vice in between. I tie right, he sees left, and vice versa!

The lefty does see the vise and fly in correct relationship, but the thread goes over top of the fly toward the lefty instead of away from the lefty.

The way to do it is to show him YouTube videos reflected in a mirror OR put small mirror between you and the hook. When he sits in front of you and looks at the reversed image in the mirror, he can see the hook and the thread wound as a lefty would do if they were in front of the vise.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-03-2014, 08:12 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by amertens View Post
This - My buddy is left handed, and this is how I show him how to tie different flies and vice-versa

Does not take long to pick up the nuance differences

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.