The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 11:05 AM

nralover is on a distinguished road
Default Let's see those wooly buggers!

Guys, please post some pics of your hand tied wooly buggers. I have bought my vise and beginning materials, and started off with these flies to build some basic skills. Thus far I have tied 4 wooly buggers, and they have looked better every time, but I want to see how close they are to being presentable. My only difficulties are not being able to figure out how to whip finish with my hands, and it does seem as though the tails of my wooly buggers look less bushy than they should. Hopefully one of these will land me a good smally later this year...
Old 03-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Let's see those wooly buggers!

Hi NRA,

Fly tying can be a fun hobby. Most beginners have the problem of getting the proportions right. The tail is usually hard to get the right size. A little flash is nice but don't over due. The best advice I can give you is to buy a few of what ever fly you want to tye and copy it. Don't be afraid to cut a fly apart to see how it was assembled.

Lets see some of the ones you have tied. That is the best way to get feed back.

Frank
Old 03-17-2008, 02:22 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Hey NRA
Put wooly bugger in youtube they have a few videos of people tying wooly buggers. Make sure you tie a few in chartruese size 8 or 6 hook they are awesome for crappie and smallies olive, white, and black all work good too. i tie some with bead heads and a few wraps of lead wire for a little faster sink rate which helps if the fish are deeper or if you are fishing current. good luck and the more you tie the better they will get.
Jim
Old 03-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Just for the record and as general info, I'd like to point out that all flies are hand tied.

Yes, all of them.

What varies greatly is the salary/working conditions/proficiency of the hands that make them.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:29 PM

TB3 is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't be to worried if the buggers you're tying don't look the same as the ones at the local shop. For one, the wooly bugger is a pretty variable pattern, and the buggers i tie probably don't look identical to those someone else ties. That doesn't mean they don't catch fish.

The YouTube videos, generally, are pretty helpful. I've learned quite a few patterns from them. Also, see if your local flyshop, FFF or TU Chapter offers fly tying lessons. They can help enormously.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:29 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
What varies greatly is the salary/working conditions/proficiency of the hands that make them.
You hit the nail on the head! LOL All the flies that are in the stores today are tied in China.

I'm not sure if Bob Clouser of Lefty still tie anymore. Those might be made in China also. But half the fun of fishing is tying the flies you fish with. Even if I tie a crappy fly, it is so much more fun to catch a fish with it rather than catching more with a expensive store bought fly.

YouTube and a thousand others on the net are great. This site also has wonderful pix and steps on tying........ I think Frank did them? When my new vise arrives next week, I'll be tying all the time.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:17 PM

nralover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Just for the record and as general info, I'd like to point out that all flies are hand tied.

Yes, all of them.

What varies greatly is the salary/working conditions/proficiency of the hands
that make them.
I know what you are saying- I meant flies that you had tied personally, as opposed to store bought. I see what you fellas are talking about- when using Google images you can see that everybody ties the bugger a little different...
Old 03-17-2008, 08:32 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

heres a black one with green flashabou lateral lines and 3 sets of rubber legs on a normal style bugger with black hackle and conehead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV30509.JPG (76.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg rubberbugger2.JPG (92.7 KB, 69 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nralover View Post
I know what you are saying- I meant flies that you had tied personally, as opposed to store bought. I see what you fellas are talking about- when using Google images you can see that everybody ties the bugger a little different...
Fair enough. Whaddya say we call those "Home Tied"? Seems a little more accurate and descriptive of the creativity and care that goes into them.

And I agree BTW, I catch 98% of my fish on flies I've tied and like it that way.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.