The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 06:21 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Red dry fly hackle

Not very popular, I know. But I'm interested in sourcing some white-dyed-red dry fly hackle. I've been to the usual sources; Whiting, Metz, etc. and, no luck. Does anyone out there know where I might source this material. My dry flies are currently in the 12-16 size range, so hackle that would work for these hook sizes would be ideal for me.

Alternatively; and this will give you an indication of just how keen I am to get some of this material, if there is a dye recipe that works, that is not too technical and that is suitable for a home tyer, I'd be willing to try dying some white dry hackle to get the red color that I'm looking for.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Red dry fly hackle

Hi Pocono,

Finding red dyed over white hackle is not hard to find. The problem is getting it in the size you need. These necks may have some you could use. Feather-Craft use to do their own dying but I don't know if that is still true. I would call them with your requirements and see if they can help you out.

Frank

Feather-Craft Necks
Click the image to open in full size.
Whiting Dyed Over White Rooster Neck
Part #: TK006$25.95
WHITING AMERICAN ROOSTER CAPES "DYED OVER WHITE" BASS/TARPON/SALTWATER ROOSTER NECKS have the beautiful long, wide and webby feathers for tying bass bugs, tarpon flies, deceivers and saltwater streamers. COLORS: (1)White, (2)Yellow, (3)Red, (4)Tan, (5)Purple, (6)Hot-Orange, (7)Fl-Chartreuse, (8)Hot-Pink, (9)High-Green, (10)Olive, (11)Black, (12)Kingfisher-Blue
Old 03-17-2008, 08:15 PM

TB3 is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure how many flies you're planning on tying, but would marking white hackles with a red prismacolor marker work?
Old 03-18-2008, 10:37 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

A few years ago Fly Tyer magazine had a good artical on dyeing stuff. I'll look & see if I still have it around. Does anyone else remember the article & when it was. ?
Old 03-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I do remember that article Fishn50, don't remember when though....

Pocono,
A.K. Best has a good book on dyeing, it's called "Bleaching and Dyeing", sure it would answer any questions you may have.

You could even consider doing a smaller amount of hackle, just remove desired amount, degrease with "Dawn", rinse very well, use "Rit Dye" and follow the instructions......It's been a while since I've done any, so there may be some things forgotten, but this gets you in the ball park.

Instead of buying a neck for this you could purchase a few bags of inexpensive saddle hackle to experiment with, just have to unstring it. Loose feathers allow for better color penetration.

Another thought.....you may want to pick up a hotplate for this venture, that way you can work in the garage, open the door for better ventilation(Vinegar) and not have to chance messing up the kitchen.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-19-2008, 10:37 AM

Reactor has a spectacular aura aboutReactor has a spectacular aura about

The popular red quill pattern calls for a red hackle, so there has to be some good dry fly quality hackle out there in red. Theriaultflies.com may be able to help you.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:59 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
I do remember that article Fishn50, don't remember when though....

Pocono,
A.K. Best has a good book on dyeing, it's called "Bleaching and Dyeing", sure it would answer any questions you may have.

You could even consider doing a smaller amount of hackle, just remove desired amount, degrease with "Dawn", rinse very well, use "Rit Dye" and follow the instructions......It's been a while since I've done any, so there may be some things forgotten, but this gets you in the ball park.

Instead of buying a neck for this you could purchase a few bags of inexpensive saddle hackle to experiment with, just have to unstring it. Loose feathers allow for better color penetration.

Another thought.....you may want to pick up a hotplate for this venture, that way you can work in the garage, open the door for better ventilation(Vinegar) and not have to chance messing up the kitchen.
Thanks, fyshstykr. I now have a copy of the A.K. Best book; Dying and Bleaching. So, having not been able to source any good white dyed red dry hackle from the commercial suppliers (I've tried them all), I'm now embarking on a dying program to get the red hackle that I want. I'll let you know how it works out. The hotplate sounds like a good idea; and probably also good for keeping domestic relations on a semi-even keel.

Frank - FYI Whiting does not recommend the white dyed red rooster necks for dry fly hackling. But, I purchased one anyway and, perhaps not surprisingly, Whiting was right. It's far too webby. It is good tailing material, though; barbs are a good length. So, it won't be wasted.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Great, keep us informed on how it's going.
As far as 'Domestic realations'.........that's affirmative!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-08-2008, 04:18 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

The popular red quill pattern calls for a red hackle, so there has to be some good dry fly quality hackle out there in red. Theriaultflies.com may be able to help you.
03-18-2008 01:37 PM

I believe the Red Quill calls for a blue dun hackle.