The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2014, 06:57 AM

lv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to all
Default Ray Bergman's book "trout" giveaway

I thought this would be a nice way to pass some winter away, I hope you all do as well. I recently came into some books and this was one of them, I already have it so what I'm going to do is give it to one of you. But you'll have to work for your supper, I propose a tying contest. Number of tiers is dependent on how many responses there are. The fly to tie is from the book and it is the March brown English male. What I'm thinking is if you'd like to do this post with I'm in and please give you're full name in the response. The names will be placed in a hat and blindly picked ( actuall number to be determined by resonces) by my lovely daughter. I will then post the names of the tiers here. At that point you can pm me your contact info and I will send you mine. Send to me one fly for entry. ( flies and containers will not be returned)I will take photos of them and post them numbered in a poll. The judging will be done by the forum members, in the event of a tie it will be broken by our mods. The timeline to tie your fly will be at least similar to a swap timeline. Length of judging will be determined by how active it is. I humbly ask if you have this book already to let this to the members that do not have a copy yet. Thanks, Jack
The fly:
Click the image to open in full size.
Tag: gold tinsel
Tail: partridge, dark
Ribbing: gold tinsel
Body: gray-brown dubbing
Hackle: partridge, dark
Wing: pheasant, dark

Your prize:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:17 AM

dc410 will become famous soon enoughdc410 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ray Bergman's book "trout" giveaway

Looks like a good time. I'm in. I would love to have a copy of Bergman's book. Hope I get the chance. Nice idea, Jack.

Thanks,

John Latschar
mcnerney, hairwing530 and lv2nymph like this.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:23 AM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

Cool idea , I am a lousy tier but it will be fun to watch !
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:59 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't tied wet fly's before, here are a couple of YouTube videos that show the steps, the materials aren't exactly the same as Ray's pattern recipe, but this will give you a good idea on how to tie this pattern. Best of luck to everyone and have fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnDU5_Esoc8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAwqGDJRL1M

Old 11-26-2014, 09:31 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

i'll play, surprisingly, I dont have a copy of Trout!

Eunan Hendron

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 11-26-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:20 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

That is a wonderful book for someone to add to a collection. I got that same (pictured) hard copy back in 1974 and a soft cover for my son in Ennis,MT in 2001.That book motivated me to get into tying and Fly Fishing...

The only person I am aware of that has tied just about every fly, featured in the book's plates is Don Bastian (where the March Brown English Male came from). One may view his other ties HERE:

Ray Bergman Collection | Hatches Fly Tying Magazine

Great deal !!!

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 11-26-2014, 10:52 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Another tyer, John McCoy has also tied them all, though these have not been published online on an open platfrom, at least to my knowledge.
If, however, you are a member of fly tying forum, you can likely view some of them on the pattern database.

The link above contains approx half the flies from bergman, there are over 400

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 11-26-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:55 AM

lurky is on a distinguished road

It will take one heck of a tie to beat Eunan out! I'm going to just observe. I checked this book out of the library numerous times when I was a kid just starting out fly tying and fly fishing.
hairwing530, bear 007 and lv2nymph like this.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:16 PM

lv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to all

The link given is where I obtained the picture for the example fly... Small Internet... I'm surprised you don't have it as well Eunan, as far as this kind of thing goes you always struck me as a classics kinda guy.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2nymph View Post
The link given is where I obtained the picture for the example fly... Small Internet... I'm surprised you don't have it as well Eunan, as far as this kind of thing goes you always struck me as a classics kinda guy.
I used to have a lot of early editions, but was stuck for cash at one time so sold them...Bergman was one, First edition JJ Hardy was another, Francis Francis, Maxwell etc etc etc.

Slowly working to build up the collection again....
hairwing530 likes this.

Addicted To Vise