The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about
Default how long have you been Tying

and what was your motivation to begin tying?
I been tying since 1985, so about 24 years. I started trout fishing when I moved to Georgia in 1983 and went on a spin fishing trip on the Chattahoochee here in Atlanta.From there we went to the mountains of North Georgia with the Chattoga river being my favorite. My friend who started fishing with me and I decided spin fishing was to easy and bought a Cortland GF1000 from the Fish Hawk Fly Shop in Atlanta in order to give the trout a chance, 2 years later we both bought starter tying kits to get more involved in the sport we both loved. He is now a Guide in East Tennessee ad I'm the friend who bums free trips off of him whenever I can
PS I forgot to add I sure have been humbled by the trout since I started fly fishing

Last edited by zug buggin; Today at 01:57 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM

honyuk96 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: how long have you been Tying

My dad and I took a fly tying class when I was 8, that's when I started. 32 years later and I'm still wrapping iron.
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

35 years in 2015

free tying lessons from the recreation department where i worked out in colorado

still learning!

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

photoguy will become famous soon enoughphotoguy will become famous soon enough

I started tying about a month and a half ago! The fishing club I belong to gets together once a week in the winter to tie and they've been pretty generous with teaching me a few things.
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Three years, after a 20 year lay off....I'm 35.

Addicted To Vise
Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM

mickalo is on a distinguished road

Started fly fishing about 6yrs ago and bought a few dozen flies for the first season. then I decided to give tying my own that fall & winter, I mainly fish for panfish and bass no trout waters in my area, so my tying was aimed at main those species and found that many of the traditional "Trout Patterns" work just as well for gills, crappies & bass too. Then when I caught my first few fish on my own flies I was hooked for good. Been tying my own flies now of about 5 yrs now and luv experimenting one of the joys of tying so many possibilities.

It is an addictive hobby, and can be expensive, but I don't chase women or drink any more so gotta have a vice or 2 to spend it on. I also send my son-in-law a bunch of flies in the spring he fishes down south in WI.

Mike
Custom Programming & Web Hosting Services
http://www.thunder-rain.com/
Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM

bear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to behold

I took an Adult Ed class offered by our local High School 35 years ago, I actually started tying the winter before I got back into fly fishing.
Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM

slips74 is on a distinguished road

I was mentored when I was 10 years old and tied until 15, then other things occupied my life. I just dug out my tying stuff last July and got back into it. I'm 51 years old so my hiatus from tying was 36 years but it all came back to me like I never had stopped. I almost croaked when I did a whip finish by hand on my 1st tie. Thought for sure I'd have to relearn that one.
Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, good thread...a lot of experience out here, and it shows in often in the tying thread.

I am surprised to determine that I've been tying flies for more than 15 years. I got my first vise for Christmas and I think that must have been '97 or '98, its a blurry time in my past! When did I get so old?
Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

I started fly fishing as a kid, then life got in the way until the early 1990's when I was in my late 20's. We had a project in Yellowstone, got into fly fishing again, and jumped in with both feet by starting to tie and eventually building rods. Nothing like swinging for steelhead or a trout going after dry when it is your own ties.
bigjim5589 likes this.