The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2015, 06:26 AM

bear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to behold
Default Nano Silk from SemperFli

J. Stockard Fly Fishing has a promo, buy one get one free, it ends Monday.

Just enter nano at checkout.

I've wanted to give it a shot but it's expensive, now I have an excuse.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:53 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nano Silk from SemperFli

Tim: I agree, it is so expensive I have never tried it either, but the half price is a pretty good incentive to give it a try. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:15 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I have been using Nano Silk for about two years now and really like it. When I like a fly tying product and find that it is effective, I don't care about the cost. It is a gel spun thread and slippery as all get out so I like to use a half hitch or two, or wax when I first put it on the hook shank...Remember to use a ceramic bobbin when tying with this thread.

This is with the 12/0 Nano Silk:

Click the image to open in full size.

LIMEY THE (Midge) LARVAE …

HOOK: Daiichi 1130, #18 – #22

THREAD: Tiemco 16/0, Black – Head

ABDOMEN: Nano Silk 12/0 (or smaller), Olive -* Coat with Hard As Hull, then wrap

OVER ABDOMEN: Lime, Glow in the Dark, Flashabou…over the wet Nano Silk

RIB: Black Ice Thread

Click the image to open in full size.

Materials used...and a video with tying tips for Nano Silk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDZ1SusJ_gk

PT/TB
FISHN50, mcnerney, jaybo41 and 2 others like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 01-10-2015, 09:28 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I caught the same email and figured I'd give some a try too. I'm not sure I'd try it at the regular price as it's a bit steep. I have and use many different threads but am always wiling to give something new a try. Right now, I'd have to say my current favorite is Veevus. JS Fly Fishing has been a staple of mine for tying supplies, the deals they offer are nice perks. If I had one complaint, it is that shipping time used to be much faster but I can live with it.
bear 007 and repperson29 like this.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:17 AM

bear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
Remember to use a ceramic bobbin when tying with this thread.
Thanks for the tip, I'd forgotten about that
Old 01-11-2015, 11:10 AM

itchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I caught the same email and figured I'd give some a try too. I'm not sure I'd try it at the regular price as it's a bit steep. I have and use many different threads but am always wiling to give something new a try. Right now, I'd have to say my current favorite is Veevus. JS Fly Fishing has been a staple of mine for tying supplies, the deals they offer are nice perks. If I had one complaint, it is that shipping time used to be much faster but I can live with it.
I gotta agree... Love JS for their sales and promotions but man is their processing and shipping ever so slow! UPS economy drop ship is so slow... I could walk to their shop and back... I currently have an order that's almost 2 weeks out
jaybo41 and dean_mt like this.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:18 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
I gotta agree... Love JS for their sales and promotions but man is their processing and shipping ever so slow! UPS economy drop ship is so slow... I could walk to their shop and back... I currently have an order that's almost 2 weeks out
I used to order from them and have items within 5 days here to PA. They're in CT I believe but most certainly in New England. As a comparison, I order from another shop in New England and get an order typically within 3-5 days. That's how efficient JS used to be. I still like them because of the selection and promotions and such, but if going to the local fly shop is not in the cards and I need to order need something quick, I'll source materials elsewhere because of this.

2 weeks out is ridiculous!
Old 01-11-2015, 11:36 AM

itchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I used to order from them and have items within 5 days here to PA. They're in CT I believe but most certainly in New England. As a comparison, I order from another shop in New England and get an order typically within 3-5 days. That's how efficient JS used to be. I still like them because of the selection and promotions and such, but if going to the local fly shop is not in the cards and I need to order need something quick, I'll source materials elsewhere because of this.

2 weeks out is ridiculous!
I'm right on the border of mn/wi and I placed an order for some supplies out of a shop in Bend, OR the other day... 2 days I had what I ordered. And shipping cost me $2. If JS is gonna charge me $5 they could at least ship priority.

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

Ugh... Update... My usps delivery folks are just plain retarded... A fellow just rang the door bell and handed me a stack of mail... 2 books I'd ordered plus my js order... They were delivered to him... Same numbers different street... A little more acceptable... There's been times though I'd gotten mail for addresses that weren't even close to address... Number not even close... Street no where near me... I'd report him but I'm sure there's no line of people waiting to replace him...
jaybo41 and repperson29 like this.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:36 PM

slob4u is on a distinguished road

I took advantage of the JS nano promotion as well. Placed my order on Thursday & should have it tomorrow or Tuesday. They're located in Kent, CT., which is about 40 minutes from me.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob4u View Post
I took advantage of the JS nano promotion as well. Placed my order on Thursday & should have it tomorrow or Tuesday. They're located in Kent, CT., which is about 40 minutes from me.
I didn't realize they were in Kent, that's cool, almost all my order is back-ordered, I'm sure it will be awhile for me.