The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2015, 09:53 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold
Default Silver Creeks UV Products

I will do a more thorough product review at a later date when I can honestly say I used it in different applications. I purchased a couple bottles of UV Coat and both of the lights Henry sells. The prices are considerably cheaper than the big brand products. The lights are high quality. Reminds me of a high quality LED flashlight in construction quality. The UV coat is heavy bodied and works well for my main purpose which is strengthening up the heads on my pike-musky-bass flies. I am sure it will work well on trout nymphs and I will try that soon. So far I have used it over bare thread, and I also used it over top of heads which I previously finished with head cement. The head cement method is extremely time consuming on a large fly when you are trying to build around the large stick on eyes. Using head cement, the head is still soft and not durable after an hour of effort attempting to get a build. A moderate coat of UV fixed them all quickly. The UV cures almost instantly. I haven't used many other UV products but I did win a bottle of Loon UV Coat at a fly tying meeting tonight. My Silver Creek light cured the Loon product just fine. I found both products very similar in cure time and hardness. I haven't checked Loon's prices for comparison but I suspect there will be a considerable difference.
mcnerney, dean_mt and williamhj like this.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:13 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Silver Creeks UV Products

Just got a few more bottles in the mail. I love the product for trout flies as well as heads for streamers etc. Great price, cures without any tack, love it.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:07 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

It looks like Silver deleted his post in the classifieds section.

Silvercreek's Crystal UV Fly Tying Resin
Old 01-19-2015, 11:42 PM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
It looks like Silver deleted his post in the classifieds section.

Silvercreek's Crystal UV Fly Tying Resin
If you PM him he will email you a list of his products.
ts47 likes this.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:01 PM

fly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud of

I purchased Silvers lights and resin and it's so easy to use. Makes my ties look better than my abilities to do them.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:00 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

I've never tied anything, still new, that required resin. What would it help me do - or - What kind of fly would it allow me to tie?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2015, 10:14 PM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
I've never tied anything, still new, that required resin. What would it help me do - or - What kind of fly would it allow me to tie?

It's good for wing cases for copper johns... Also for midge patterns as they have a very shiny body so applying resin gives them a very shiny look similar to the real thing... Also for heads on streamers or nymphs... I've started using resin in place of head cement and flex coat to speed up having to wait for the previous to dry
ia_trouter and unknownflyman like this.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:22 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

When finishing a head on a large predator streamer it can reduce the time down from a half hour to 10 seconds.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:40 PM

Interesting...

For streamers, I've tied a variety of woolly buggers and am working on my first experience tying Barr's meat whistle. I guess there wouldn't be much use for resin here.

For nymphs, the copper John is on my list to start tying. I've already purchased materials for a few different colors. The wing case has been a topic of conversation on more than one occasion. I assume the resin is clear and would be painted over a colored piece of Mylar, flash back or something else? Is this how you get that color on the wing case?

Old 01-20-2015, 10:50 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Any one that wants information can PM me with thier email and I will send information

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy