The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By moucheur2003

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Today, 10:15 AM

carp and bass is on a distinguished road
Default Black soft hackle?

I am looking to tie some little black soft hackles because I think they might work on the little stream im fishing for opener. Do you have any advice to dye partridge feathers black fairly quickly, or maybe I should just use a sharpie?
Thanks in advance,
Joseph
Old Today, 10:25 AM

moucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Black soft hackle?

Get a starling skin or a dyed hen neck. That's what I use anyway.
jaybo41 and weiliwen like this.
Old Today, 10:30 AM

Walter1023 is a name known to allWalter1023 is a name known to allWalter1023 is a name known to allWalter1023 is a name known to allWalter1023 is a name known to allWalter1023 is a name known to all

I second the Starling have not used my starling ties yet "in the field" but some of the fibers have a dark/black color. I have to think....1) something black 2) something that undulates in the current = FISH ON !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Today, 10:31 AM

flytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud of

did you at least try the sharpie? results?

use black hackle

depending on how small, use black ostrich herl

use guard hairs in a slit thread or dubbing loop

http://www.jpdessaigne.com/Astuces/c...ievremixte.htm

http://www.jpdessaigne.com/Astuces/c...vrearriere.htm

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old Today, 10:31 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use what ever gamebird hackle, of the right size, that I come up with first.
A little color contrast doesn’t hurt and you're not using enough to matter.
Old Today, 10:50 AM

red feather troutbum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp and bass View Post
Do you have any advice to dye partridge feathers black fairly quickly Joseph
the dying process on the sticky above is quick as far as active work, several hours total in soaking time & they are easier to tie when dry so you're looking at another days passive drying time or active work w a hair drier too, you'll likely have to wait for dye delivery if you cant get it locally though, if so dyed hen is readily available & more convenient.