The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2015, 05:39 AM

j lee is on a distinguished road
Default Source you use for tying?

Have had a Peak rotary vise for a while and finally ready to start tying. What is a good on-line source for materials?
Old 04-15-2015, 07:37 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Source you use for tying?

Fly Tyers Dungeon - Home of Unique Fly Tying Materials
Old 04-15-2015, 07:38 AM

johnstoeckel is on a distinguished road

Lots of great fly shops around on the web and in some local areas.

I'd suggest you check for a shop you can visit in your local area first. It's sometimes easier, especially when you are starting out, to see materials in person and get some input from the shop.

Alternatively, check the the corporate members of the forum at Corporate Members - The North American Fly Fishing Forum.

Feather-Craft.com has always been one of my favorites as they have a wide range of products and an interesting / informative catalog.
mcnerney and hairwing530 like this.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:21 AM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

I've used a couple of those with really nice catalogs, the problem is that they take so long to ship. Shipping an order on the third or fourth day after receiving the order is just not acceptable. That said, the absolute best service I've encountered is from Flyshack.com.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:31 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have the option to shop local (one of the draw backs of living in a small town), so I use J Stockard, Feather-Craft, feather emporium, Blue Quill Angler and Charlies Fly Box.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:34 AM

zug buggin is a name known to allzug buggin is a name known to allzug buggin is a name known to allzug buggin is a name known to allzug buggin is a name known to allzug buggin is a name known to all

just google "fly tying materials" about a thousand sites will come up, I've found little difference in any of them. I'm here in Atlanta and we are luckly enough to have several fly shops in the area. Its important to give these shops your business when possible, its great to have somebody you can go to to get one on one help and also touch and feel the products. Remember there is very little customer service on line. If never been to this shop but its in your area on Laurens rd in Greenville here is a link Home
There is also a small shop in Mountain Rest, The Chattogga River Fly Shop. Its about 5 miles from the river on Hwy 28. Not much inventory in the shop but a ton of knowledge is always there
The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane
Old 04-15-2015, 09:36 AM

mridenour is just really nicemridenour is just really nicemridenour is just really nicemridenour is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
I've used a couple of those with really nice catalogs, the problem is that they take so long to ship. Shipping an order on the third or fourth day after receiving the order is just not acceptable. That said, the absolute best service I've encountered is from Flyshack.com.
I'm sorry but that is funny. When I started tying, I had to fill out an order form and mail it in. I'd never hear a word back that the order was received or when it shipped. Tracking numbers were useless. I'd almost forget about the order and then it would arrive.

Taking 3 or 4 days to ship doesn't seem unreasonable to me, especially for a small business where one or two people have way too much on their plate. The Mad Scientist is right up front that his shipping is kind of slow. For me it is worth it since his products are a lot of bang for the buck.

The world has really changed and it seems like we have gotten used to instant gratification. I'm guilty sometimes too.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:42 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Fact is, no single source will likely have everything you may need. As said there are many good ones, so you need to look around & compare.

It also depends on what types of flies you wish to tie. For example, I don't tie many trout flies, my interest is primarily with bass or saltwater, so I look for sources that cater more to my interest.

If you have craft or even some sewing shops nearby, they can be a wealth of a source for many things a tier can use & often at very inexpensive prices. For example, if you intend to tie any patterns with sheet foam, craft shops will have more than you'll likely ever want & at better prices than fly shops.

I know some folks shy away from Ebay, but sellers there can be good sources. You have to be careful there however and know what you're buying.

Check out Theriault Flies, and J Stockard.

Be sure you sign up for newsletters, as often that will notify you of sales & is a good way to save some on what you buy.
hairwing530 and "Vulpes" like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-15-2015, 09:44 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j lee View Post
Have had a Peak rotary vise for a while and finally ready to start tying. What is a good on-line source for materials?
One thing I've always recommended is a new tier purchase at least one of the pattern(s) he wants to tie. As a visual aid, proportions, etc., most helpful.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:25 AM

0bie is a jewel in the rough0bie is a jewel in the rough0bie is a jewel in the rough

My best advice is to purchase synthetics (hooks, thread, lead, flash, dubbing) online or through catalogs, but to purchase natural materials in person. Materials like hackle, bucktail and deer hair can vary widely in quality, and I find it better to purchase those in person than trust that the guy packing the box is providing exactly what you want. It looks like there's an Orvis in Greeneville, you may consider dropping by and seeing what sort of tying selection they have.

There are tons of online shops, and I'll be honest that I haven't used many of them. But I have found that the less advertised/traffic'ed sites are often less swamped with orders, and therefore more responsive, than the more heavily advertised ones. Feather-Craft has been around a long time, provides a huge variety of material, and seem to have pretty good quality control. I've found Blue Ribbon Flies out of West Yellowstone Montana does an excellent job of quality control, too, and I really like Dan Bailey's.
fredaevans and hairwing530 like this.