What's special about razor scissors?

hokiehunter07

Reaction score
So I've bought a few generic Dr. Slick scissors but was looking at a pair of Razor scissors. They're about twice the price in assorted brands over regular scissors. What's the difference?

Hokie.

hokiehunter07

Reaction score
I don't know. What are razor scissors?
I don't know but for some reason everyone sells them and for more than regular scissors. If they last longer or are better than all purpose scissors or have a special application they might have a use.

My current favorite pair of scissors have gotten dull from cutting deer hair and I'm looking into something that will do it and stay sharper longer.

duker

Reaction score
They appear to have harder steel than the regular Dr. Slicks: 55 Rockwell v. 45. Also, it looks as though the blades are thinner and the edges finer. The adjustability is a neat feature.

I use the regular 4" Dr. Slick scissors and love them. Perfectly sharp enough for me.

Scott

comeonavs

Reaction score
I got a pair with some birthday money. I am not a metallurgist but they are as advertised "razor sharp"

I love them when trimming materials on small dry flies, they are super sharp and very fine tools

Sort of the ......nah never mind , wont go there telling old bad jokes

Just say they're overpriced scissors and worth every penny if you are the individual that values owning the finest tools made vs run of the mill walgreens type of goods

comeonavs

Reaction score
I have been using the Razors since they first appeared on the market. I now have two...don't cut wire with them...and yes they are that good...

PT/TB :)
Yes dont cut wire, I actually also store mine in the surgical like tubing they were packaged in. I shoved that tubing in one of the holes on my tool caddy and that is where they reside when not in use.

Ok fine I will say it...they are the Abel nippers of scissors

horsehead

Reaction score
The difference is they are WICKED sharp. It's hard to describe until you use them. They cut through material with such ease that sometimes it feels like there isn't anything even between the blades as you close down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silver creek

Reaction score
Fiskars had a factory in my city before they moved manufacturing to Mexico and then China. Back in the 1980's I began using Fiskars fly tying scissors made in our local factory, and I am still using the same pair. The are a bit shorter and have finer tips that the embroidery scissors in the photo above.

The photo below is one of the two backup scissors I bought back in the 1980's. Unfortunately, these scissors are no longer made or I would recommend them.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have them but would hazard a guess based on the name that they are very sharp as has now been pointed out. If I were still down east or in CO. I would still be tying size 20 on a regular basis in which case I imagine I'd have bought them by now. Currently I am using a twenty something year old pair of the little curved Dr. Slick and still get good service from them.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
I haven't tried the razor scissors yet since I haven't had the need after discovering some simple scissor sharpeners that now keep my scissors razor sharp and I don't need to keep replacing them when they get dull.

My favorite pair of scissors is made by Anvil and look like these:

Still, the key to razor sharp scissors is good maintenance. $5 for a quality scissors sharpener vs. $20 or more for new scissors. Works for me.

Kelly.

btwom67

Reaction score
I'd say they are as sharp as any out there. I'd also say that they have extremely fine tips which is probably why they use a different (harder) steel. Supposedly Charlies Fly Box gets the tips ground even finer. Regarding the standard Razors I haven't seen tips this fine since the old Thompson Supreme's were available(red handle). The anvils are roughly the same and a little less expensive but the tips are a little stubby comparatively. They are excellent if you tie a lot of small flies (smaller than 18) and well worth $30. They are not entirely necessary but nice to have.

sndmn11

Reaction score
I haven't tried the razor scissors yet since I haven't had the need after discovering some simple scissor sharpeners that now keep my scissors razor sharp and I don't need to keep replacing them when they get dull.

My favorite pair of scissors is made by Anvil and look like these:

Still, the key to razor sharp scissors is good maintenance. $5 for a quality scissors sharpener vs. $20 or more for new scissors. Works for me.

Kelly.
What is the sharpener Kelly?