The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By wolfglen
  • 1 Post By ts47
  • 2 Post By bigjim5589
  • 1 Post By nevadanstig
  • 1 Post By flytire
  • 1 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2015, 10:57 PM

nevadanstig is on a distinguished road
Default Hook Eye Type

Hi all,
Wondering what should be taken into account when it comes to the different styles of hook eyes. I know they are available in pretty much every angle off the shank as well as straight. I've only tied with straight and downward eyes. Is it the fly type, fishing situation, or something else that dictates what style eye you should use?
Old 05-15-2015, 05:53 AM

wolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Hook Eye Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadanstig View Post
Hi all,
Wondering what should be taken into account when it comes to the different styles of hook eyes. I know they are available in pretty much every angle off the shank as well as straight. I've only tied with straight and downward eyes. Is it the fly type, fishing situation, or something else that dictates what style eye you should use?
Before I begin, remember that these differences are only slight.
straight eye: the fly tracks truer.
Turned up eye: lowers the center of gravity in reference to the direction of pull to keep a fly keeled to ride in a normal position and a slightly increased angle of incidence on hook penetration, but slightly less holding and perhaps slightly more prone to straightening .
Turned down eye: slightly less gap, decreased angle in incidence for penetration, slightly less holding power. Better for flies which are to be tied to ride inverted as with bead chain, lead heads, etc.

Larger eye for flies to be attached with free swinging loop.

ringed eye vs tapered eye. not usually a problem with quality hooks, but some cheap hooks have been known to have not tight enough closure and have a sharp edge which can nick a leader knot.

Turned up eyes look classier for fancy wet flies and salmon flies.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:52 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Here are a few thoughts to add to the list.

Daiichi and Orvis sell big eye dry fly hooks in straight and down eye versions. A down eye is good when tying parachutes. A straight eye is great when tying really small flies and/or nymphs. The straight eye makes it much easier to keep the thread on the hook. I have problems with the thread slipping off a down eye when tying size 20 and smaller.

I do as Wolfglen suggests when adding eyes to my streamers. Because up eye hooks are really only available in salmon hooks, I use down eye or straight eye IF I'm adding eyes to help in how the streamer tracks in the water. The rest of the time it just doesn't matter.

IMO, other than the above, I don't care too much what kind of eye my hooks have. I do look at the fly and think what seems most appropriate, but will tie on whatever hook I have.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:15 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Like Todd (ts47), I use what I feel is appropriate for the fly I'm tying. I've yet to find it makes much difference as far as tying flies goes. I prefer straight eye hooks for the majority of tying I do, personal preference only, and since I'm primarily a warmwater or tidalwater angler, they tend to go thru snags & vegetation better than up or down eye hooks. If I'm tying panfish or trout flies I really don't have a preference and use down eye or straight eye hooks most.

However, I use a lot of different styles of hooks for tying, some not intended as fly hooks, such as live bait or plastic worm hooks, so for open water use, it really doesn't seem to have any affect as far as using the flies what position the hook eye may be. Some styles of hooks do tend to have specific types of eyes, so that's a consideration for me, but only if I need a specific hook for what I'm tying.

For me, the only advantage to an up or down eye is when adding a snelled leader and that's not something I do a lot with flies. More with bait holder type hooks for other fishing. I use a loop connection to my flies the majority of the time & as long as the eye is closed completely, (which as stated above can damage the tippet) it doesn't matter what type eye is on the hook.

Still, in general I prefer straight eye hooks for most flies I tie and such things as hook length, wire size & gap width are more of a concern for me.
mcnerney and "Vulpes" like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-15-2015, 09:43 PM

nevadanstig is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys! I went out an reupped on materials, hooks and beads the other day and notice that nearly all of the 2XL and 3XL nymph hooks have a down turned eye. I like to use the longer ones in 14 for my stoneflies, and was wondering if the downward angle really affected much. Seems like all the standard length hooks have the straight eye, while the longer ones all have a downward eye, at least locally. Just glad to know I'm not majorly screwing anything up by using a downward eye on a nymph. I could always order a straight one I guess but I'd rather keep supporting local business if it doesn't make much difference.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:57 AM

flytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud of

lets be clear. up eye hooks are not limited to only salmon flies

Click the image to open in full size.

up eye sylvester nemes wet fly hook

mcnerney likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 05-18-2015, 09:58 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadanstig View Post
Thanks guys! I went out an reupped on materials, hooks and beads the other day and notice that nearly all of the 2XL and 3XL nymph hooks have a down turned eye. I like to use the longer ones in 14 for my stoneflies, and was wondering if the downward angle really affected much. Seems like all the standard length hooks have the straight eye, while the longer ones all have a downward eye, at least locally. Just glad to know I'm not majorly screwing anything up by using a downward eye on a nymph. I could always order a straight one I guess but I'd rather keep supporting local business if it doesn't make much difference.
From a thread I have running... credit to Dean_mt and Stenacron,
Need midge hook style recommendations?

On the really small hook sizes, below 18, NOT using a down eye can increase gape and possibly hookups.

Thought this might be something you'd want posted here.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:37 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
From a thread I have running... credit to Dean_mt and Stenacron,

On the really small hook sizes, below 18, NOT using a down eye can increase gape and possibly hookups.

Thought this might be something you'd want posted here.
A down eye hook eye postion does not narrow the hook gape even is 2XS hooks that have a shorter hook shank and place the eye closer to the hook point.

See my post on that thread:

bigjim5589 likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy