The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2015, 06:04 PM

"Vulpes" is on a distinguished road
Default Jock Scott Question

Do any of you fish a jock scott? I'm curious as using it as a streamer for trout. Also, have any of you fine sirs or gals tied one using bucktail instead of married feathers? I googled and looked at some pictures. It doesn't look terribly complicated but I figured I'd ask if any of
Old 05-17-2015, 06:12 PM

wolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Jock Scott Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Vulpes" View Post
Do any of you fish a jock scott? I'm curious as using it as a streamer for trout. Also, have any of you fine sirs or gals tied one using bucktail instead of married feathers? I googled and looked at some pictures. It doesn't look terribly complicated but I figured I'd ask if any of
I tied a lot of them years ago for customers and I don't think any of them ever fished the things, they said they were too pretty to put in water and had me tie reduced versions for their actual fishing.
mcnerney and "Vulpes" like this.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:35 PM

what were the reduced versions like and what tying time did you have into them?
Old 05-17-2015, 06:47 PM

wolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Vulpes" View Post
what were the reduced versions like and what tying time did you have into them?
To the best of my recollection from back in the 60's it was turkey or peacock quill under which were married thin strips of blue, red and yellow.

To make things a little easier, tie in a thin basewing of deer hair, get a little dab of hot melt glue into the base of it and squeeze it upward, compressing it from the side in somewhat of a fan shape, this helps you set the wings easier.

Of course that's from memory of 40 some years ago.

Jack.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I use them for salmon and if I were giving advice to a fellow who doesn't tie salmon flies I'd say to look up tying instructions for a mixed or stacked wing style fly not a married wing. Rather than extending your tying into this style and type of fly to be used as a trout streamer why not learn to make feather wing streamers.

When you begin your flies may not look like these but they are traditional trout and land locked salmon flies. Learning to tie them would no doubt quench your thirst for making & fishing traditional patterns.

Click the image to open in full size.

There are many feather wings that catch fish very well and those are just a few. I have been tying and using those flies for a long time and caught with them in every state I've fished. Here they are just as good as anywhere else so I still use them.

Look to the Sticky Threads on top of the General Fly Tying Discussion forum for threads on how to tie them authored by Pocono. He did some great step by step threads on salmon flies & streamers.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Here's the thread on wets & streamers; Wet / Streamer Tie-Along? It will take some page flipping to find your way but he will guide you through the basics and show how to set the wings on a Black Ghost as you go through the patterns.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-17-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I use them for salmon and if I were giving advice to a fellow who doesn't tie salmon flies I'd say to look up tying instructions for a mixed or stacked wing style fly not a married wing. Rather than extending your tying into this style and type of fly to be used as a trout streamer why not learn to make feather wing streamers.

When you begin your flies may not look like these but they are traditional trout and land locked salmon flies. Learning to tie them would no doubt quench your thirst for making & fishing traditional patterns.

There are many feather wings that catch fish very well and those are just a few. I have been tying and using those flies for a long time and caught with them in every state I've fished. Here they are just as good as anywhere else so I still use them.

Look to the Sticky Threads on top of the General Fly Tying Discussion forum for threads on how to tie them authored by Pocono. He did some great step by step threads on salmon flies & streamers.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Here's the thread on wets & streamers; Wet / Streamer Tie-Along? It will take some page flipping to find your way but he will guide you through the basics and show how to set the wings on a Black Ghost as you go through the patterns.

Ard
Although I've lived over half my life in Florida, (since '70) I never did get tying "Nice" flies out of my system. I still tie a lot of salt water flies with a traditional NE Flair. Of course I use substitute jungle fowl and Silver Pheasant, but with the same style.
mcnerney, spm and "Vulpes" like this.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:20 AM

I have quite a few of the materials for those Ard. I will tie some of the ones you listed. I don't post many of my ties but these are the most recent of my ties.

A 1950s baby brook trout pattern from Dick Surette's book, "Trout and Salmon Fly Index" circa 1978.

and of course a Black Ghost that's been beat up from fishing.
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:46 AM

The bucktail jock scott was just a curiousity.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:49 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

The Jock Scott is one I haven't tried, but there are many Salmon & Steelhead flies that can be tied small enough for trout ( average size here is a lot smaller than up where Ard is). IMO, it's no different than tying some of the wet flies (think Ray Bergman here) that were popular at one time, and some of which likely evolved from Salmon fly patterns. I have a book that has reduced hair wing flies in it tied by the late Ernest Schwiebert. I would have to check, but I recall the wings on most of them were substituted with fitch tail hair, which in many cases is not even the same color of the feather wing pattern.

I too like tying the feather wing streamers, but don't tie them too often. Mine certainly are not of the caliber of those that Ard ties!

I've never fished for Salmon or Steelhead, but that hasn't kept me from tying some of the patterns. I generally stick to the lesser complex patterns, but have used them for both trout & SM bass. I don't even own a jungle cock neck, so mine really are "reduced", but they will catch fish.
Hardyreels, mcnerney and "Vulpes" like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-18-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
The Jock Scott is one I haven't tried, but there are many Salmon & Steelhead flies that can be tied small enough for trout ( average size here is a lot smaller than up where Ard is). IMO, it's no different than tying some of the wet flies (think Ray Bergman here) that were popular at one time, and some of which likely evolved from Salmon fly patterns. I have a book that has reduced hair wing flies in it tied by the late Ernest Schwiebert. I would have to check, but I recall the wings on most of them were substituted with fitch tail hair, which in many cases is not even the same color of the feather wing pattern.

I too like tying the feather wing streamers, but don't tie them too often. Mine certainly are not of the caliber of those that Ard ties!

I've never fished for Salmon or Steelhead, but that hasn't kept me from tying some of the patterns. I generally stick to the lesser complex patterns, but have used them for both trout & SM bass. I don't even own a jungle cock neck, so mine really are "reduced", but they will catch fish.
Whats the exact title of your book. I can try and find a copy. I usually tie very simple patterns as well. I however find salmon and steelhead flies beautiful. Especially some of the super bright tube flies or ones tied on a double.