Who has good hook prices?

btwom67

Reaction score
Looking for suppliers of Daiichi or Tiemco 100 pk trout fly sizes and styles.
The 25 pk pricing is absurd. I had a dealer who used to give me a good price on the Daiichi hooks but he is no longer a dealer.

trs

Reaction score
Second vote for big auction, but sometimes they get bid up way too high. edsflyshop.com
you can get TMC100s for 18.95 a hundred and get 10 % off that price by signing up for his email.

onemississipp

Reaction score
Second vote for big auction, but sometimes they get bid up way too high. edsflyshop.com
you can get TMC100s for 18.95 a hundred and get 10 % off that price by signing up for his email.
I bought a vise and tools from edsflyshop...great service and prices.

btwom67

Reaction score
Thanks! I will say I have used Allen in the past and they seem pretty darn good.... but I "default" always to the name brands because supposedly the product is not made in a Chinese or Vietnamese sweatshop-I have no idea where Allen's are made. Tiemco and Daiichi are still made in Japan.

weiliwen

Reaction score
Thanks! I will say I have used Allen in the past and they seem pretty darn good.... but I "default" always to the name brands because supposedly the product is not made in a Chinese or Vietnamese sweatshop-I have no idea where Allen's are made. Tiemco and Daiichi are still made in Japan.
Just checking - how do you know they're made in sweatshops? Both countries also have very good factories with good pay, benefits, safety policies, and quality assurance (I worked in such factories for 7 years, so I have some knowledge of this).

btwom67

Reaction score
Just checking - how do you know they're made in sweatshops? Both countries also have very good factories with good pay, benefits, safety policies, and quality assurance (I worked in such factories for 7 years, so I have some knowledge of this).
Its more about those countries long term history of substandard working conditions. I do not know what the conditions of those workers are but I do know the conditions in Japan to be more worker friendly. Not trying to make a statement but also would rather support a company/country that adhere's to higher standards for workers overall. Its not always possible but I try to put my money in those directions.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I applaud your morals & looking out for the working man (or women). However, even some of the Japanese hook makers are having their hooks packaged in those other countries, primarily because the labor is cheaper than it is in Japan.

So, how do you separate those company's with the "higher standards" from those who are simply trying to save costs, but may still be dealing with countries you've deemed have substandard working conditions? IMO, it's a slippery slope.

Myself, since I have no way of knowing about such things or what's really going on in those other countries with working conditions other than what is told second hand, I'll keep buying whatever hooks I feel will suit my tying needs. Actually, I tie on Owner or Gamakatsu more than most others, but they're not fly hooks I'm using. :rolleyes:

I generally will buy Daiichi or Tiemco when I can get them around $10-$12 per 100, if it's a model I'll use a lot. Otherwise, I'll buy Allen, which have been as good as any brand I've tried.

Frankly, at one time I preferred Partridge fly hooks over all others. I don't ever recall finding a bad hook from them. They're made by hand & still packaged in the UK I believe. ;)

allenflyfishing

Business Member
Reaction score
Its more about those countries long term history of substandard working conditions. I do not know what the conditions of those workers are but I do know the conditions in Japan to be more worker friendly. Not trying to make a statement but also would rather support a company/country that adhere's to higher standards for workers overall. Its not always possible but I try to put my money in those directions.
Hello, I'm only adding my input to clarify where our hooks are made. We have our hooks mfg in Korea and have done so for years. Great partnership, facility and fair/safe work environment for workers. I visit them often as well. Thanks everyone who has been using our hooks.

Thanks - Justin

Last edited:

weiliwen

Reaction score
Japan, at one time, had the same standards now seen in China, whose standards are rising quickly. Same with Korea and Taiwan, now generally considered to be First World Countries. I think you're making assumptions without adequate evidence. Look at the product - use the product - the proof is in the performance, not country of origin.

I don't mean to start an argument, I'm just sayin'.

trs

Reaction score
Thanks Justin for clarifying the country your hooks are made in. I have purchased your hooks and beads in the past and continue to do so. Its a personnel choice on purchasing items based on country of origin, and thier form of goverment. Forttunatly we are able to make those choices .

weiliwen

Reaction score
Thanks Justin for clarifying the country your hooks are made in. I have purchased your hooks and beads in the past and continue to do so. Its a personnel choice on purchasing items based on country of origin, and thier form of goverment. Forttunatly we are able to make those choices .
I find it problematic to punish a Chinese factory worker because of something he can do nothing about. But of course, that's your choice.

depenner

Reaction score
I like J. Stockard house-brand hooks (made in S. Korea). I've found them to be sharp, well made and a decent price. They do run a few sales during the year.

david

silver creek

Reaction score
Totally off topic but,

History has shown us that economies go through a progression from agrarian to manufacturing to service based economies. "Sweatshops" exist because, despite the horrendous working conditions, the pay is better than trying to make a living by subsistence farming.

Both Japan and Korea have gone through this phase and if you lived in the 1950's as I did, Japan was know for cheap trinkets.

In fact if you look at the history of the USA, you will see that sweatshops were common as immigrants piled into New York City.

So the one of the basic causes of sweatshops is the movement of workers from even worse conditions in agriculture or total unemployment. Yes, sweatshops are awful BUT given the choice between total unemployment or even worse wages and working conditions in agriculture, millions of Chinese moved to the cities to work in sweatshop manufacturing.

Economics will turn the tide. It has begun to happen in China as the scarcity of skilled workers will increase salaries and eventually force the employers to offer higher wages and better working conditions. Economic changes in a country as huge as China will take a generation and boycotts do little to influence an economy as huge as China's.

The reality is that the Chinese workers both on the farm and in the factories are seeing double digit wage increases and better working conditions NOT because of boycotts but because the supply demand curve works for labor as well as for goods. When there greater demand for labor than there is supply, cost (wages) must go up.

As recently as 10 years ago this trend started and is accelerating so that manufacturers are moving out of China for cheaper labor in Southeast Asia. The same pattern will occur in those countries.

You may feel good about boycotting what you think is sweatshop labor conditions but the reality I believe is that the maturing of China's economy is what is changing the face of China's working conditions.

"According to some reports, the number of migrant laborers in various cities of Zhejiang province fell by 10-20% from a year ago. Another report estimated there was a shortage of about two million workers in Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Dongguan. The Fujian Provincial Bureau of Statistics believes the labor shortage was the reason why the average capacity utilization rate reached only 80-85%.

These scattered observations may not be consistent. But the new challenge is clear -- many employers are having a hard time recruiting enough workers."

A Labor Shortage in China - WSJ

"Chinese exporters in the Pearl River Delta manufacturing hub are facing persistent labor shortages and rising wages even as the economy continues to slow.

Wages in the region are forecast to rise by 8.4 percent this year, according to a survey of manufacturing clients by Standard Chartered Plc. Over 85 percent of respondents said labor shortages are at least as bad as last year.

Salaries are rising, driven by improving productivity levels as manufacturers become more sophisticated and producers move up the value chain, the survey found. China’s policy makers are seeking to engineer a transition away from reliance on investment and cheap exports toward higher-end production, innovation, services and increased household consumption.

Around 11 percent of companies surveyed plan to move factories overseas to keep costs down, with Vietnam and Cambodia top of the preferred destination list.

China

"SHANGHAI -- Chinese police apprehended more than 5,000 illegal foreign workers in southern Guangdong Province last year, according to Chinese media, in what experts say is an indication of a growing labor shortage in the region.

The Guangzhou Daily newspaper said most of those detained were young people in their 20s and 30s from neighboring countries in Southeast Asia. It did not specify which countries they came from, but details in the story suggested that some had come across the border from Vietnam. Most had been working in factories in the province, which is home to much of China’s manufacturing industry."

Illegal Foreign Workers On The Rise In China As Factories Face Labor Shortages

"The hard truth: most migrant workers are no longer incentivized to travel to these cities for employment when they can achieve equal or better results working closer to home."

The Real Cause and Impact of China

When we talk about China as the factory of the world, a lot of people still think most of their workers slave away on two dollars a day. That could not be further from the truth. The wages of Chinese migrant workers who form the backbone of the country’s industrial workforce have seen strong double digit growth for the past four years.

In 2013, the wages for Chinese migrant workers increased 13.9 per cent from the previous year. It was nearly twice the growth rate of China’s GDP. For the country’s 269 million migrant workers, their average wages in 2013 were 2609 Yuan, or $480 a month. Though this may not seem to be a terribly large sum of money, it is a far cry from the mystical two dollars a day.

In fact, Chinese wages increased most dramatically around the time of the global financial crisis. Between 2009 and 2013, Chinese wages surged 5.7 per cent, 19.3 per cent, 21.2 per cent, 11.8 per cent and 13.9 per cent, according to data from National Bureau of Statistics."

Is a labour shortage looming in China? | Business Spectator

China: from surplus labour and unemployment risk, to labour shortages in a decade* | George Magnus

btwom67

Reaction score
Hello, I'm only adding my input to clarify where our hooks are made. We have our hooks mfg in Korea and have done so for years. Great partnership, facility and fair/safe work environment for workers. I visit them often as well. Thanks everyone who has been using our hooks.

Thanks - Justin
Thanks Justin for clarifying. I have no problem with a Korean product-I have bought Allen hooks previously and will continue to do so-I have found the quality to be very comparable to Daiichi and Tiemco.

China despite the claims of some on here has a repeated history of really poor working conditions -read up on a company called Foxconn. Add in the fact that they are manipulating their currency and hacking us daily-whenever I can steer clear I do. I have nothing against the workers but if you keep supporting the companies that perpetrate the abuses then you are condoning it to some extent. I don't want to get into an economic debate but they do not trade fairly nor are they our "friend" in any way shape or form.

Reactions: trs