The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2015, 07:25 PM

onemississipp is a name known to allonemississipp is a name known to allonemississipp is a name known to allonemississipp is a name known to allonemississipp is a name known to allonemississipp is a name known to all
Default Fly of the month?

Fly of the month? Should, could, any interest in a fly of the month? What am I talking about? Well, someone, who would that be? Maybe someone who can give advise if needed. Pick a fly for each month, people ty thier versions of it, to get them out of their comfort zone and then post a pic of the finished fly and if able a fish tricked with the fly.

I'm a beginner tyer but have an interest in doing some homework. Sometimes it is easier to have a requirement, so to speak be placed in front of you than deciding for yourself.

With that said anyone interested in it? It can start with a simple fly, even the San Jaun Worm, been tying those today or anything else..

I have an interest in the damsel fly... And may try one tomorrow..

I think it would be interesting to see how each person attacks it, the materials and technics...

Thoughts?
hairwing530 and trs like this.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:33 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fly of the month?

I'll play...

Click the image to open in full size.

DISTRESSED DAMSEL NYMPH …

HOOK: TMC 2312, #10 – #14

THREAD: Tiemco 16/0 or Veevus 16/0, Olive

TAIL: Marabou, Olive

ABDOMEN: Ostrich Herl, Olive

RIB: Sulky Holoshimmer, Pearlescent

THORAX: Senyo’s Laser Dub, Olive

EYES: Spirit River Barbell Mono Eyes, Olive, x-sm

HEAD/WING: Translucent Razor Foam, Olive, 1mm

Materials...

Work on a intermediate sinking line over and around weedbeds with an emphasis on moving them towards shore...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 10-24-2015, 08:48 PM

onemississipp is a name known to allonemississipp is a name known to allonemississipp is a name known to allonemississipp is a name known to allonemississipp is a name known to allonemississipp is a name known to all

Is this it?! Is the damsel fly nymph and adult the November fly of the month? PlanetTrout says so and so do I! I'll work on mine tomorrow!

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Or should it just be the nymph?
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:22 PM

ts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to behold

I could see a series of SBS's on a one a month spacing as being something that could be rather helpful to a number of folks on this forum - a sort of beginners tying class that never goes away.

I'm not the guy to do the SBS. If enough folks on this forum bought into the idea, it could easily become a sticky. With the knowledge base here, it could get quite creative too. Something as simple as a hare's ear nymph can be tied with a variety of materials and with numerous variations.

Good things come to those who wade...

And YES... the answer is always, "It depends".
Old 10-24-2015, 10:00 PM

Not only would it build skills but materials inventory!

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Todd,
I am from the mid west and now live in the Deep South, what is a SBS?
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:08 PM

dc410 is a jewel in the roughdc410 is a jewel in the roughdc410 is a jewel in the roughdc410 is a jewel in the rough

I like this idea. I'm planning on trying to contribute to the "Fly of the Month" thread. I have a damselfly nymph pattern that I tied a while back as a carp pattern. I need to try to dig one out of my carp box and get a photo of it to post. I can't even remember the exact materials that I used to tie it without looking at one since it has been awhile. Hoping I still have one left. I may even have a photo of a carp that I fooled with it.
hairwing530 and onemississipp like this.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:49 PM

ts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemississipp View Post
Not only would it build skills but materials inventory!

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Todd,
I am from the mid west and now live in the Deep South, what is a SBS?
"Step by step" tying instructions. The kind of thing a beginner could follow.
hairwing530 and onemississipp like this.

Good things come to those who wade...

And YES... the answer is always, "It depends".
Old 10-24-2015, 11:32 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a few years ago there was a senior member and excellent tier by the name of Allen, aka Pocono. He did a "tie along" which was along this theme. He'd post a list of five or six flies and ask who wanted to tie along. Then he would post a wonderful SBS in segments, of one fly at a time, giving a week or so for everyone to post pics of their creation before moving onto the next fly. It was really great.

Sadly, Allen went missing from the forum. But if you searched for posts by Pocono you could find the threads.

At any rate, I like the idea. It is in the vain of a swap except without all that swapping...more a virtual swap with a lot of good advice and know-how gained from experienced fly tyers. One fly a month would be a good start.

I would love to host one, but probably not until the darkness of season really falls. Still too much late season clean up and chores to do, plus fishing is still an option and now hunting. Come Thanksgiving I would be willing to try to take one on. It would be good incentive to hone the photography skills as well. Let's see where this goes...
Old 10-25-2015, 04:01 AM

flytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud of

i'd like to see ts47 do a step by step

---------- Post added at 02:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 AM ----------

Heather Nymph

Mustad 9671 size 10-12 or equivalent
Brown thread
Scarlet red hackle fibers
Fine gold oval tinsel
Dubbed insect green rabbit fur or equivalent
Peacock herl
2 turns of soft grizzly hen hackle

This pattern is very useful during damsel fly hatches on lakes. It was originated by Fenton Roskelley of Spokane, Washington, in 1960.

Reference: Popular Fly Patterns by Terry Hellekson
Old 10-25-2015, 05:02 AM

hairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond repute

onemississipp,

One heckuva of a great idea to resurrect, and one that I think will gain a lot of "traction" over the coming weeks. As dean mt pointed out, some of the guys are busy wrapping up their various seasons right now. Come the tag end of November, however, the daylight hours will be significantly shorter, woodstoves will be fired up, and the re-stocking of the tying benches nearly will be complete. Then, the "season of the tier/tyer" will be full-on...

Nicely done, onemississipp...

Jerry, aka hairwing530