The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Going To Get Back Into Tying

Well I started several years ago with a inexpensive vise. I tied Elk Hair Caddis, Hairs Ears, birds nests, wooly boogers and one or two other simple nymphs. Matter of fact my son's and my trip to the Upper Sacramento River a couple weeks ago we both caught fish on some of the flies I tied way back when.

I just paid for membership dues this morning for the local Fly Fishing Club and I'll take their fly tying class so I can become proficient also one of the local shops gives lessons on tying one fly per week on Sundays for only $2. So until I make to my first Club meeting next month...

I think I'm set on buying a Peak vise with pedestal since I didn't like the clamp on the other one . The Peak just seems to me to be the best bang for the buck to me.

I have a couple questions is there a web site or several sites that is the best place to buy tools, hackle, etc. at the best prices?

I also remember back when I tied before that a friend of mine told IIRC to buy hoffman saddle hackles, because they were the best bang for your buck compared to some of the more popular brands. Is this still true and are there other things like this I should know about?

Anything else I should know in this regard.

If you can't tell getting a bargain is very important to me...because I'm a California State Employee and we are being furloughed 3 days per month which is almost 15% of my income.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 08-10-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going To Get Back Into Tying

Tom: Good to hear you are getting back into tying! You will enjoy the Peak vise with the pedestal, that is what I use. There are several good on-line sites selling materials. J Stockard is a pretty good site: JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building Supplies, Fly Tying Materials

The Fly Tiers Dungeon offers some good deals, especally on synthetics:
Fly Tying Materials | Fly Tying Recipes | Fly Tying Supplies | Fly Tyers Dungeon | Fly Tying Supplies

I also like Charlie Craven's site, especially his fly patterns: Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials
If you want a really good book on fly tying I highly recommend Charlies book, "Basic Fly Tying":
Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying (9780979346026):… Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying (9780979346026):…

Larry
Old 08-10-2010, 06:26 PM

balogand is on a distinguished road

I really really like the Peak Vise! That being said when my girlfriend went to get me one as a graduation gift so I could move up from the Thompson, my "buddies" at the local shop talked her into a renzetti rotary traveler. They pushed it because "Well we only use Renzettis." A buddy picked up the peak and I have used it many times and love it. If I were to buy a vise today that is definitely what I would buy. Also I will PM you. A local guy here in MI sold me so great black and grizzly hackle (whole cape) for 20 bucks shipped and it came packaged like it would from Orvis. It is beautiful stuff.

(Also I know I have a great girlfriend! She got me a new rod for my birthday too. Can't beat it. Now if I could only get her to come along...)
Old 08-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Thanks Larry and Balogand: I appreciate the links and the lead on the $20 hackle. I look forward to the PM and thanks for the encouragement.

I look forward to hopefully hearing from others also.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 08-10-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:11 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Tom,
When show season rolls in next January and February, you can get excellent deals on fly tying materials.

The Sacramento International Sportsmen's Expo at Cal Expo will be on January 20 to 23 next year.

The Fly Fishing Show at the Pleasanton Fairgrounds will be held on February 25 to 27 next year.

MP
Old 08-12-2010, 02:10 AM

trez is on a distinguished road

As for Hoffman's...........I have a vast collection of Hackles and would say that Hoffman's (now Whiting by the way) are the best I have. If you are tying a lot of dry flies in the sizes that are in the saddle you are looking at, it is a great deal in the long run. One saddle will tie up several hundred flies.

They are not cheap to purchase but you most likely will only purchase one saddle in each color/size range you want and have a normal person's life time supply. A silver grade is supposed to tie around 900 flies. I never used to like capes and bought saddles anytime I could but the newer Whiting capes are simply amazing. Anyway, they are great fun to tie with and have much longer feathers than in the past. I can tie 6-8 flies with one of their saddle feathers (usually 3 sizes in a saddle) and 2-4 per cape feather (the range of sizes is larger).
Old 08-12-2010, 08:37 AM

Thank you Trez.