The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 4 Post By flytire
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By dc410
  • 3 Post By silver creek
  • 1 Post By ts47
  • 1 Post By overmywaders
  • 1 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2015, 03:19 PM

flytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant future
Default Trout Fishing and the Color of Wet Dubbing

its not the color of the dry dubbing the fish sees

read the article

Trout Fishing and the Color of Wet Dubbing

Click the image to open in full size.

note: the photos from the article show the dubbing applied to black thread but would have a different effect when using lighter threads as the under body
bigjim5589, mcnerney, ts47 and 1 others like this.

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 12-01-2015, 04:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trout Fishing and the Color of Wet Dubbing

Norm: That was an excellent read, thanks for sharing!
bigjim5589 likes this.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:46 PM

dc410 is a jewel in the roughdc410 is a jewel in the roughdc410 is a jewel in the roughdc410 is a jewel in the rough

Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing that with us. Sometimes, the devil is absolutely in the details. Good stuff.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:37 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I discovered this along time ago and would mix my own dubbing, wet it with spit and add dyed rabbit fur or synthetics until I get the wet shade I wanted. Many dry fly dubbing are synthetics but I still think they get darker when wet and they also change a bit with floatants.

I've read that sythetics don't get darker but my personal experience is that some definitely do. I use a nylon yarn for my serendipities and it gets darker when wet. Dazzleaire sparkle yarn gets darket when wet. So don't beleiove that synthetics don't get darker when wet. It is such a simple test so wet the synthetic and let your own eyes judge.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-01-2015, 10:08 PM

ts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for posting this. It was a good read and gave me something to think about with my fly tying.
bigjim5589 likes this.

Good things come to those who wade...

And YES... the answer is always, "It depends".
Old 12-02-2015, 10:26 AM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough

Of note also is that iridescent materials, such as peacock herl, are not iridescent once thoroughly wet. The iridescence is caused by air gaps between the layers of chitin. Fill those air gaps with water - which has a different refractive index than air - and the iridescence is lost.
bigjim5589 likes this.

http://overmywaders.com
Old 12-02-2015, 11:22 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I've been thinking about the darkening of wet flies and dubbing and it seems to me that lots of things look darker when wet. Wet sand at a beach look darker, wet clothes look darker, wet rocks look darker, wet wood looks darker.

The common denominator is water and the only difference between looking at a wet object and a dry object is that there is a layer of water between our eyes and the surface of the object.

We all know that light reflects off of the surface of water so there is less light getting to the object. That means there is less light available under water to be reflected back to our eyes.

We also know the mirror effect of the under surface of the water, so some of the light that would have been reflected back to our eyes from the object never gets to us since it is reflect back under water by the mirror. This light reflected light is scattered back underwater and may make it out or it could be absorbed by another color in the dubbing if the dubbing is multicolored. If it does get out, our eyes mislocate the origin of the color and it is assigned to another location. So there is brightness lost and mislocation by the back and forth reflection.

What this implies is that it does not matter if the dubbing is natural or synthetic, all will darken because the darkening is not due only to the material but to the fact that there is a water/air interface between our eyes and the material.

If the darkening of the material is dependent ONLY on an air/water interface, what does this imply for the trout who do NOT have an air/water interface between it's eyes and the dubbing on the fly? At this time I think they see a darker dubbing (because it is wet and under water so less light reaches it) but it is slightly BRIGHTER than we see because the reflective mirror effect of the under surface of the water does not interfere with the amount of reflected color that reaches their eyes.

After doing this mind game to try to figure out what was happening, I did a google search and came up with two sources. I think my deductions are similar.

Q: Why do wet stones look darker, more colorful, and polished? | Ask a Mathematician / Ask a Physicist

Cloth's Darker When Wet (Dr Karl Homework: ABC Science)
bigjim5589 likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 12-02-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:12 PM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough

Artificial vs natural body materials should also be considered for dry flies. For example, a Pink Lady with a silk floss body will absorb more water, become translucent, and change in body color to a red from pink. Nylon floss will remain the same color and translucency (minimal). Since the design of the Pink Lady predates Nylon floss, the natural silk is probably the way to go.

Oil-based floatants will change the color of silk and natural dubbing bodies. Rodmakers are faced with a similar problem -- the old cane rodmakers used silk thread for windings. However, some of them treated the silk with dilute PVA or shellac in order to prevent the oil in the varnish from turning the winds translucent. Other rodmakers liked the translucence. As we know, oils on many natural materials, e.g., paper, turn them almost transparent. In the US prairie states, the old sod houses used oiled paper as windows, glass being too expensive. [Semi-precious stones, especially emeralds, are often oiled to improve the appearance, as well. Watch for this.]

IME, the posts of parachute flies are best when natural white hair, or Antron white are used. I tied some with yellow polyester posts and could never get a rise. I ascribe this to UV reflectance, the yellow poly is very dark in the UV. I had the same problem when I tied Hairwing Royal Coachmen with yellow kip wings.

http://overmywaders.com
Old 05-03-2016, 12:08 AM

Location: Currently Westminster, Co. Headed to "West Slope" next few years
losthwy is a jewel in the roughlosthwy is a jewel in the roughlosthwy is a jewel in the roughlosthwy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Many dry fly dubbing are synthetics but I still think they get darker when wet and they also change a bit with float ants...
I've read that synthetics don't get darker but my personal experience is that some definitely do....
I tested some of my synthetics and they did become darker. UV Ice Dubbing was an exception.

The article got me thinking about something I had never given any thought to. Good one.