The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2016, 10:02 AM

lee_smn is on a distinguished road
Default "Tying Tray"

Click the image to open in full size.

First picture, not sure if it posted right. My buddy and I put this together on Monday, still have some sanding and filler work and maybe some stain but I'm pretty happy with it considering all we had tool wise was a drill a circular saw and a palm sander.

Let me know what you think. Also looking for suggestions for how many holes and dowels to put in for tools and spools or any other suggestions to make it more useful or efficient. New to tying so I'm a bit worried about some detail I'm not aware of.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2016, 10:34 AM

ia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud of
Default Re: "Tying Tray"

Unless you make it much larger it will be easy to overflow it when in use. Drill holes for the tools you have now. Add a few more holes for the additional bobbins you are likely to buy. After you use it a while you'll discover what you want if you decide to build a larger tray/caddy in the future. I would tie a fly with it before you drill for tools. Appears you may be a lefty? Figure out where you don't want a tall tool standing up in your way. In any case a small caddy is handy for portable use. I take one to fly tying club meetings.

Last edited by ia_trouter; 01-13-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:40 AM

fr8dog is on a distinguished road

Looks pretty good. I built one out of an old folding TV table. Drilled holes every 1 1/2" along the sides for tools and thread dowels. Didn't glue any in so I can adjust it if I want.
mcnerney, hairwing530 and lee_smn like this.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:54 AM

flytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud of

Looks good

The number of holes and dowels is totally up to you based on what you have for tying tools you want to put in the holes

Size the holes according to the diameter of the tools
Old 01-13-2016, 10:58 AM

Yeah I am a lefty. I wanted it smallish to have a chance to tie on the couch during wife time(which usually means tv time). Hopefully I'll be able to put extra stuff on the table or desk for a bigger tying session.

I was planning on gluing in the dowels but that's a good point, at least until I know what I want.

I was thinking the taller tools would be best behind the vise so I wouldn't have to reach over them but, maybe it would be a hassle to reach around the vise to get to them. I will tie one on it first to get a better feel for it.

mcnerney, dean_mt and hairwing530 like this.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:59 AM

roachm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Unless you make it much larger it will be easy to overflow it when in use. Drill holes for the tools you have now. Add a few more holes for the additional bobbins you are likely to buy. After you use it a while you'll discover what you want if you decide to build a larger tray/caddy in the future. I would tie a fly with it before you drill for tools. Appears you may be a left? Figure out where you don't want a tall tool standing up in your way. In any case a small caddy is handy for portable use. I take one to fly tying club meetings.
Good advice. Before long you'll find yourself needing 3 of those to hold everything. Looks good though and a lot cheaper than buying one.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2016, 11:11 AM

Definitely alot cheaper than buying, I had the wood so I only have about 10 bucks in it for the filler, dowels, coupler and thumb screw.

mcnerney and hairwing530 like this.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:43 PM

nevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to behold

I think it will be large enough as long as you are willing to only pull the stuff to do one or two different kinds of flies at a time. I like to do it that way anyway, so I'm not losing track of stuff and wasting time rummaging for the right stuff during a session.
I would drill a lot more holes than you think you may need. Theres nothing wrong with having extra storage, and as you keep tying your only going to keep having more tools, materials, etc. What you have now may be doubled, tripled, or more down the road.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
mcnerney, hairwing530, spm and 1 others like this.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadanstig View Post
I think it will be large enough as long as you are willing to only pull the stuff to do one or two different kinds of flies at a time. I like to do it that way anyway, so I'm not losing track of stuff and wasting time rummaging for the right stuff during a session.
I would drill a lot more holes than you think you may need. Theres nothing wrong with having extra storage, and as you keep tying your only going to keep having more tools, materials, etc. What you have now may be doubled, tripled, or more down the road.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
Good advice, thanks. My plan to keep this affordable for now are to concentrate on a few patterns for now (zebra midge, pheasant tail, hopper and elk hair caddis) and fill in the holes with store bought, so tying several of one type at a time should be easy.

mcnerney and hairwing530 like this.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Lee: Very nice work as the others have already stated. It will be interested to see how that evolves over time after you have had a chance to tie with it for awhile, but definitely a good place to start.
hairwing530 and lee_smn like this.