The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2016, 05:32 PM

lee_smn is on a distinguished road
Default New tyer first few patterns.

Just wanted to put these out there to see how I'm doing. I'm feeling pretty good but am curious what someone that knows what they're doing will think.

Click the image to open in full size.

The zebra midges are 18s and seemed pretty easy, did about 2 dozen.

The hoppers are on 14s and we're pretty easy but need some work on the details, I got two of them done yesterday.

The pheasant tails I'm having troubles with twisting the rest of the fibers around to form the body and I'm getting too close to the eye so when I try whip finish it keeps falling off and unraveling. The one there was the only one I completely finished, the other two are probably throwaways.

Let me know what you think or if you have any advice.

Thanks,
Lee

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2016, 09:18 PM

roachm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New tyer first few patterns.

Those look good. They will catch fish. Crowding the eye is something everyone struggles with at first I think.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2016, 09:35 PM

goat trail is a jewel in the roughgoat trail is a jewel in the roughgoat trail is a jewel in the roughgoat trail is a jewel in the rough

I like the hopper! Scour a google image search for "foam hoppers" and try more patterns-there's a ton out there.

I would suggest trying to always use as few thread wraps as necessary. It takes practice but eventually you will only need a few wraps to secure materials in place. Crowding the eye happens to the best of 'em! Fewer thread wraps will help but that will come with practice. I have no doubt that those flies will catch fish.

When learning new patterns and techniques youtube and google image searches will be some of your best friends Keep up the good work.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:31 PM

len s is on a distinguished road

Check out tightline productions on you tube or vimeo https://vimeo.com/user3412872 he explains things very well. With PT's I start the thread a eyelength or so behind the eye. The important part is find a spot where you will not crowd the eye start the thread there and do not go past it with the materials. The area you leave bare can be used to form the head of the fly and the whip finish.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:01 AM

flytie09 is a name known to allflytie09 is a name known to allflytie09 is a name known to allflytie09 is a name known to allflytie09 is a name known to allflytie09 is a name known to all

Overall a pretty decent job. I dig the hopper and zebra midges. They will definitely work. As far as the pheasant tail... id target a little sparser so you don't crowd the head. A common issue most tyers struggle with until they get the proportions and proper end points to fly tying steps. This can lead to too much materials and crowding of the hook eye. Some practice and you'll get it down. They say you never master a pattern until you tie a 100x of them.

But hey, I still battle with it often.... so don't sweat it.

ft09 / MM
mcnerney, hairwing530 and lee_smn like this.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:57 AM

Thanks for all the info guys! I really like tightline and that's where I got the midge and pheasant tail patterns. I'm glad to hear that it's not just me thar crowds the head, starting your thread where you want the head to be and not going past it til I'm ready to build the head seems like a really good tip and I'll definitely work on that.

mcnerney, hairwing530 and spm like this.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:53 AM

weiliwen has a spectacular aura aboutweiliwen has a spectacular aura about

Good job on the flies. Proportion, including how close to the eye to tie, is always an important lesson to learn, but in most cases, more important to the tier than the fish. Don't do what I did, which is start by trying to tie 75 different patterns. Start with a handful of basics until your technique is strong, and only then start to tie your size 24 dries!
Old 01-20-2016, 02:12 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I want you to improve your flies. With that in mind, here is my critique. You lfy is on top and a typcial fly I pulled from Google Images on the bottom.

I think the hopper pattern below is tied on too short a hook. A hopper should be tied on a 3X long hook.

I also think the body takes up too much of the hook gap. I think fish will hit the fly but you will have a hard time hooking up.

It is hard to tell if I am correct and a side view of the pattern out of the vise would be better.

Compare your fly on top with the foam hopper below and compare the hook length, postion of the hook relative to the fly body, and the hooking gap.

The pheasant tail pattern below should NOT have the tail fibers cut to length. They should be tied to the correct length so the fibers maintain a taper. The tail should be as long as the body so measure the fibers for the correct length againtst the hook shank and then tie them down. Then the tail to body proportion will be correct and the tail fibers will taper.

It is hard to tell about the bead but it looks too big to me, and takes up too much of the hook shank. I think the bead throws the proportion off, especially with the hook you used (see hook criticism).

I suggest you tie a PT without the bead first then add the bead after you can tie the fly better. Once you learn to tie a properly proportioned PT, you will have a better idea of what size bead to use.

A lot of the above problesms are that you again used the wrong hook. I think the hook shank is too short to fit all that material on along with a bead and get a proper looking PT. A PT should be tied on a 2XL nymph hook.

I think the zebras are the best, I think the bead size is correct. I do think you tied the fly a bit too far around the hook bend. You tied down the curve to the middle of the hook gap.

The body should be thinner or maybe it is the shadow that makes the body look too thick.

You HAVE to tie flies on the right hook. The hook is the skeleton of the fly. It is the form that determines the shape of the fly.

Try to get better lighting for you next fly photos - no side lighting and no shadows. Try my styrofoam cup fly photo method.

Styrofoam Cup Fly Photography
hairwing530, weiliwen and lee_smn like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 01-20-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:24 PM

labradorguy is a name known to alllabradorguy is a name known to alllabradorguy is a name known to alllabradorguy is a name known to alllabradorguy is a name known to alllabradorguy is a name known to all

Looks like a great start. You may want to check out "Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying". He does a fantastic job of breaking everything down for several popular patterns, e.g. tools, materials, hooks, proportions, methods, etc.

Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish eBook: Charlie Craven: Kindle Store Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish eBook: Charlie Craven: Kindle Store

Cheers.
hairwing530 and lee_smn like this.
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. In Hell the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."
Old 01-20-2016, 03:46 PM

Wow silver! That is an incredibly astute, thorough and much appreciated critique of those flies. I'm amazed you could tell so much from those pictures.

Hopper: I wasn't really going off a pattern, just using what I had to see if I could do it. The hooks were for an elk hair caddis I had planned on tying, but don't have all the supplies I need for it yet. I did notice the gap was probably not big enough but didn't even think about the length... I will pay more attention to getting the proper hooks.

PT: this was off tightlines and unfortunately for me, is not a bead head. What your seeing is the peacock hurl thorax and thread head that I must have done way too much of and too close to the eye.

ZH: these were the first 3 and I think they got cleaner as they went. I do think the shadows are making them look thicker but I'll double check them and pay close attention next time.

The photos were just to show my family on facebook, I just put them on here on a whim. I'll try and get better pictures next time I ask for opinions.

That's all I can remember from your post for now but really appreciate the criticism and advice and will use it as best I can.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by labradorguy View Post
Looks like a great start. You may want to check out "Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying". He does a fantastic job of breaking everything down for several popular patterns, e.g. tools, materials, hooks, proportions, methods, etc.

Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish eBook: Charlie Craven: Kindle [email]Store

Cheers.
Thanks labrador, I was leaning towards getting this. Especially given the fact the Charlies Fly Box is like 10 minutes away and my closest fly shop. They're always really helpful too, I just wish I could afford more from there

hairwing530 likes this.