The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree137Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2016, 12:24 PM

bradya97 is on a distinguished road
Default Considering Fly Tying

Hello everyone, I am somewhat new to fly fishing and I was just wondering what flies you consider are easy to make for beginners, and work very well. I don't know about everyone else's opinion, but I believe purchasing flies are relatively expensive, and I believe fly tying could save a few bucks. Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hairwing530 and spm like this.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering Fly Tying

Brady: Fly tying is a very enjoyable way to stay connected to fly fishing in the winter months, but you will find it doesn't really save money. On the other hand, as you get better with fly fishing you will find patterns that are extremely effective that aren't sold commercially, so tying gives you the capability to have specialty flies in your fly box. The main reason I say fly tying doesn't save money is that we all like to tie all the new patterns that we see on the internet and in the fly fishing magazines, and guess what, you won't have the right materials on hand so you have to purchase an ever increasing supply of materials. It just one of those things that can get out of control very quickly. If you do decide to get into fly fishing, I would highly recommend getting Charlie Craven's book "Basic Fly Tying", it is an incredible book that walks you through all the materials and their uses, the tools needed and then starts out with really simple patterns with the recipes and a material list and slowly each pattern gets a little more difficult. Best of luck!

Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish eBook: Charlie Craven: Books Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish eBook: Charlie Craven: Books

Old 01-27-2016, 12:46 PM

fishmandoug has a spectacular aura aboutfishmandoug has a spectacular aura aboutfishmandoug has a spectacular aura about

I agree.

If your goal is to save money, then you will be better served searching around and finding some discounted flies or suppliers.

The only real way to save money by tying flies is to stick to a few basic patterns and only buy these materials. Even then, I doubt it will be a savings.

I do think that most will agree that tying flies is almost as enjoyable as fishing them. There is also something special about catching fish on your own creations. I would find a local shop and see if they have any intro tying events. I know Orvis, LLbean and most shops have something like this and many are completely free (like when the drug dealer gives out the sample before you get hooked).
Old 01-27-2016, 01:52 PM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold

Do you have a lot of equity in your home? You can take out a second mortgage if you do. That will get you set up with about half the materials you will think you need. Plus, you'll need some cash to design and renovate a room suitable for your new hobby. Once you get started filling all those fly boxes, you are going to have to go on LOTS more fishing trips and purchase dozens more rods and reels.

It isn't too late to run from this hobby now. However, if you must go ahead and partake in a new addiction, you will enjoy it immensely. I love catching fish on flies my clumsy hands tied. Gotta go...just thought of a bunch of tying materials I need to order!
Old 01-27-2016, 02:27 PM

itchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah. Tying has saved me so much money. Just ask the roll top desk, storage bins, tackle boxes, and multiple small parts storage boxes of tying materials I have.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:38 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I'm concerned, if you're not tying your own flies, then you're not doing it right.
I don't spend a lot and I never did and I've tied all my own flies for better than 40 years.
A little self control goes a long way.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:43 PM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
As far as I'm concerned, if you're not tying your own flies, then you're not doing it right.
I don't spend a lot and I never did and I've tied all my own flies for better than 40 years.
A little self control goes a long way.
Self-control, eh? I'll have to try that.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:09 PM

hokiehunter07 is a glorious beacon of lighthokiehunter07 is a glorious beacon of lighthokiehunter07 is a glorious beacon of lighthokiehunter07 is a glorious beacon of lighthokiehunter07 is a glorious beacon of lighthokiehunter07 is a glorious beacon of light

As others have said tying doesn't really save money.

Lets say you want to buy a decent vise. Nothing fancy but a nice solid rotary vise. $150.

Lets say $40 for tools

Lets say all you want to tie for starters is a parachute adams. It works. You're familiar with it.

You want sizes 12, 14, and 16. $21 for a 25 pack hooks for each size.

You need grizzly and brown hackle to tie the adams. A bronze cape from whiting is $70 per so $140 for 2 capes. If you buy 100 packs in each size that's $120 and you're limited in sizes and quantity.

Dubbing and poly yarn is cheap, we'll say $5 combined.

$150 + $40 + $21 + $140 + $5 = $356

You could buy 237 $1.50 flies for that same amount.

Now can you put a value on catching fish on flies you tied? Not really. You can also tie cheaper flies.

If you tie an X-caddis, which I highly recommend for beginners, all you need is a $5 patch of elk hair, some sparkle fibers, and a $3 pack of dubbing. Now for an Additional $35-40 you can tie 75 more flies. Add some of the brown hackle and x-small wire to the caddis and take off the sparkle fiber and you have a traditional EHC.

With that same material you can tie a comparadun. Add peacock and silk thread and you can tie royal wullfs, humpies, etc.

The problem is you walk into the shop and you say to yourself, "I came here to buy elk hair, thread, a pack of hooks, and some peacock." You end up walking out with a partridge skin, 3 or 4 sets of flash material, lead wrap, 8 spools of thread, beads, streamer hooks, chenille, strung hackle, etc. Before you know it you've spent $150+ $3 at a time.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:32 PM

nevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to behold

I'd have to disagree with everyone saying you won't save money. You sure can, if you can have good self control. A cheap beginners kit for $25, and another $25 for the materials you know you need, and that $50 can turn in to hundreds of flies depending on what patterns you are tying. I started to save money, and definitely did so initially.
But good luck with that self control.
As for easy to tie effective patterns, we'd need more info to really recommend anything. What area are you fishing in? What bodies of water and for what species?
Old 01-27-2016, 04:52 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

As others have joked, the money saving aspect becomes a moot point eventually. There is outlay for a vise and materials but it doesn't have to break you as Hokie lays out or be nearly free as Riptide makes it by using tools fashioned from paper clips and a vise from the 50's (kidding! sort of ). The $350 thing is very misleading, Hokie. To get started you don't need a $150 vise, a full assortment of Renzetti tools, or full expensive capes. Will you eventually want that? Maybe and that's when it can get spendy. But I consider it a major hobby, and those things cost some money.

It will improve you fishing, no doubt. It forces you to learn about insects, lifecycles, seasons. It will make you want to look closer at all the bugs in your river. And it just makes you think about fishing in a different way.