So, in my quest to find a decent and cheap popper body I decided to try some cheap foam bobbers. The only problem I have is that the zap-a-gap and Krazy glue eat through the styrofoam. This is the caase for the cheaper styrofoam, some of the more dense (and harder to find) styrofoam bobbers work fine.
My question is what kind of glue can I use to attach the styrofoam bodies to the hook without the glue dissolving the styrofoam?
Jett, I've used epoxy for attaching bug/popper bodies made of various materials & have yet to see any issues, even with the various "styrofoams". Try at least 30 minute set time epoxy, as that will give more working time than 5 minute.
I've also used craft store hot glue, but not on foam bodies so don't know how it might work. On cork or balsa it does a very good job, particularly on smaller bodies. I prefer epoxy for the extra strength on larger bug bodies.
IMO, those foam indicators/floats make real good bodies. I like trying the different shapes because they each create a different commotion or effect when retrieved.
If you need a source for bulk, or various shapes, take a look at hagensfish.com. They have other items you might have interest in also.
I have used the Devcon 5 minute epoxy and had no problems.I usually don't make a lot of poppers at one time.If you are making a lot i would use the 30 min.For the sheet foam the Loctite brush on super glue works good.
I have used the Devcon 5 minute epoxy and had no problems
Just to clarify, nothing wrong with 5 minute epoxy, it certainly can be very useful. My reply was based on my experience with making multiple bugs at a time, sometimes as many as 50 at a time, for which 5 minute lacks the necessary working time.
So, depending on how many you're making at one time, choose based on how many you're attempting to glue onto the hook at one sitting.
I actually like 60 or 90 minute set time epoxies best, and have at times mounted as many as 50 bodies with a single mix of epoxy before it set up too hard to work with.
BTW, some type of power rotational mechanism is a good idea to have if you're going to use epoxy & for a lot of bug making.
From my research that I've done now. It looks like need to find a "Foam Safe CA" glue for a fast cure option. I don't normally tie or glue a bunch at one time so the fast cure is a better option for me.
Well, you might give "Pro's Soft Bait Glue" a look. It's a CA type glue, formulated for soft plastic baits. I've used it for tying, and never had any issues with it. I've glued foam bug bodies with it, but they were the type sold by fly tying suppliers such as Wapsi, which are a harder foam. It works fine on craft sheet foams too.
Pro's is a very good glue, is not affected by being immersed in water, but not particularly cheap in price @ about $10 for 1/2 oz. (Plus shipping of course.)
If it's something you think might be worth buying, but have concerns, you can contact Mike Rice the owner of Pro's and ask him his opinion on whether or not it will work for your intended application. Tell Mike that Jim Hester referred you to him. Mike's a real good guy & will give you an honest answer.
Great examples that prove that such bugs don't need to be works of art. Nothing wrong with being artistic, but nothing wrong with simple & functional either.
Many of mine I made years ago looked like yours. I started getting more involved with the art side of making them when I started selling them. Pretty sells, but plain jane still catches fish & take less time to make.
IMO, anyone getting started making poppers could do very well following your lead on making them simple. Then if they want to get artistic, go from there.
I've got to dig out some older stuff I still have & take some pics. They'll look very much like yours!