The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 01:05 PM

jaywar is on a distinguished road
Default Translucent caddis pupa

Anyone know a pattern for this , saw a few shops selling them but no pattern . I think it's just antron dubbing , wrapped on a hook with a dubbing loop . Really trying to fish more CADDIS pupa this year
Old 02-06-2016, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Translucent caddis pupa

I used to use Swannundaze which is a soft translucent vinyl material available in many colors. Give it a search and maybe try some, if need be you can split it with a razor for really small stuff. It makes a segmented body with some depth.

Ard
fredaevans likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-06-2016, 02:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a pattern that cicvara tied up a few years ago, I don't recall what he used for the body, but you might try using the advanced search function to find out.

Click the image to open in full size.

And here it is wet:

Old 02-06-2016, 03:59 PM

spm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Here is a pattern that cicvara tied up a few years ago, I don't recall what he used for the body, but you might try using the advanced search function to find out.

And here it is wet:
I really like this pattern and have been searching cicvaras posts, but I can't open the images from him. Am I doing something wrong?

steve
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:03 PM

jaywar is on a distinguished road

That's really close it looks like twisted antron and then maybe brushed out . But yea that's pretty much it . Now just need to figure out the particulars... THANKS !
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm View Post
I really like this pattern and have been searching cicvaras posts, but I can't open the images from him. Am I doing something wrong?

steve
Steve: I was getting the same thing, but I thought it was probably my old XP pc. When I went back and opened up one of Cicvara's post and then did an edit so I could see the url link on one of his patterns, I then did a copy and paste into a new browser window and it came up with a 404 error not found. Maybe he moved the photos off imageshack. I tried to see if I could do a search on imageshack but didn't see where that was available.
Here is the url on one of his photos:
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2906/25aw.jpg

Old 02-06-2016, 04:51 PM

spm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Steve: I was getting the same thing, but I thought it was probably my old XP pc. When I went back and opened up one of Cicvara's post and then did an edit so I could see the url link on one of his patterns, I then did a copy and paste into a new browser window and it came up with a 404 error not found. Maybe he moved the photos off imageshack. I tried to see if I could do a search on imageshack but didn't see where that was available.
Here is the url on one of his photos:
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2906/25aw.jpg
Hmm, I'm getting the 404 error on that, too. That's too bad, I really like the pattern, but I don't know which of his posts shows it.

steve
Old 02-06-2016, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I guess I misunderstood what the fella was looking for but that's not uncommon for me..........

Send cicvara a PM and he may be able to help. Include a link to this thread so he can read and see what you are searching for.
onemississipp likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-06-2016, 06:14 PM

onemississipp is a name known to allonemississipp is a name known to allonemississipp is a name known to allonemississipp is a name known to allonemississipp is a name known to allonemississipp is a name known to all

Got a pic? I searched and found one but the name translucent threw me off..this is close to what I saw for sale.

Caddis Larva

Caddis Larva (Green) Pattern & Fly Tying Video Instruction - Orvis

The more I search I come up with very different patterns, one very popular is along the lines, Ard went down...and the same I was thinking when reading the title of the thread.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:25 PM
Administrator

You might send PT a pm, he did something similar to what Cicvara did a few years ago, in my notes he called it a Casper Caddis, but when I did a search on his web site it came up empty. PT might also know what that material is that Cicvara used on that Caddis pattern.