The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree21Likes
  • 12 Post By silver creek
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 3 Post By zug buggin
  • 2 Post By btwom67
  • 1 Post By ts47
  • 1 Post By btwom67
  • 1 Post By bbbruce77

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2016, 09:37 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fly Tying Thread Comparison Video

Newbie fly tyers often ask about the various fly tying thread. Here is a video comparison of the major brands of tying thread;

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-25-2016, 10:40 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Fly Tying Thread Comparison Video

Thanks Silver!!!!! Absolutly facinating stuff, and a first that I've ever seen on this topic. I'm going to give this thread a 'five star' rating.

Fred
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:06 PM

ts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fly Tying Thread Comparison Video

This is great Silver! Thanks for posting.

One correction to this video about the Veevus thread...

Credit goes to PlanetTrout for posting this link originally: Fly Tying Thread Table | Global FlyFisher

Veevus 12/0 and 14/0 (70 denier) are what match Uni 8/0 (72 denier) and UTC 70 Denier. I will also point out that Daville 6/0 is also a 70 denier thread.

Veevus 8/0 is actually a 110 denier thread.

Good things come to those who wade...

And YES... the answer is always, "It depends".
Old 02-25-2016, 12:13 PM

zug buggin is a name known to allzug buggin is a name known to allzug buggin is a name known to allzug buggin is a name known to allzug buggin is a name known to allzug buggin is a name known to all

Good info, I'm a "there's a difference?" tyer. My thread is a mixture of UTC and UNI and I like the way UTC flattens out. For the small stuff I'm usually use UNI 12/0, for nymphs its normally UNI 8/0 ocasionally UNI 6/0. for Buggers its back to UTC 140 denier
The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane
Old 02-26-2016, 06:51 PM

btwom67 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Newbie fly tyers often ask about the various fly tying thread. Here is a video comparison of the major brands of tying thread;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvLgE20W-Rc
Great Video...I've tried them all and still like the Danville Flymaster for the 70denier size(Trout Size). I like the Gordon Griffiths Shear for the little bugs. Tiemco thread is still a favorite for the little bugs too but Planet Trout may have the remaining world supply before they stopped making it.
hairwing530 and ts47 like this.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:33 PM

ts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwom67 View Post
Great Video...I've tried them all and still like the Danville Flymaster for the 70denier size(Trout Size). I like the Gordon Griffiths Shear for the little bugs. Tiemco thread is still a favorite for the little bugs too but Planet Trout may have the remaining world supply before they stopped making it.
I've heard the Gordon Griffiths mentioned a few times. No one I know (usually do business with) sells it. It is what Hans Weilenmann uses. I just tied one of his patterns. I'll have to find some and give it a try!
hairwing530 likes this.

Good things come to those who wade...

And YES... the answer is always, "It depends".
Old 03-05-2016, 07:48 PM

btwom67 will become famous soon enough

its pretty readily available online I think you will like it for your smaller flies.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:46 PM

bbbruce77 is on a distinguished road

I much prefer the Danville 70 denier thread to the UTC and the Danville is the thread that has been around the longest, way longer than UNI or UTC. I have used UNI 8/0 and 6/0 a lot for the reason mentioned as I used to do a lot of cement and tile work which left me with rough hands. The Uni threads are much better for cinching down hard materials such as calf tail or squirrel tail hair because it has better bite being round versus flat. For the flossy type of threads the danville spools are 200 yards and cost less than the UTC which are only 100 yards.
stenacron likes this.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:17 AM

citationsquirrel has a spectacular aura aboutcitationsquirrel has a spectacular aura aboutcitationsquirrel has a spectacular aura about

Very informative. Thanks for posting it.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:28 AM

spm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to behold

Very informative.

Thanks for posting, silver.
steve