Help with tying on a brooch pin

williamhj

Reaction score
I've ordered some of the fly tying brooch pin hooks to tie a gift for a friend. I plan to tie a Royal Trude and could use some advice. Is there anything special to make the flies durable? I plan to use gold wire to wrap over the peacock as well as head cement on the fly and head. Anything else? I welcome advice!

Thanks!

Vulpes

Reaction score
If it twere me, I would zap a gap every connection of material, base of wings ect. I think thatd be plenty. Just imho.

ts47

Reaction score
I don't know the fly or hook and haven't looked... If you are asking the question, I assume it has a number of steps to it.

What they've been teaching us in a fly tying class from one of my clubs is to add half hitches at the end of each step on complicated flies.

flytire

Reaction score

if you normally tie durable flies then there would be no additional steps required

should be the same as tying on a normal hook

the brooch fly would be pinned on a lapel or somewhere similar and shouldnt see and abuse

williamhj

Reaction score
Perfect, thank you! I was planning on tying the fly so the materials would be well attached to the shank of the brooch but wanted to be sure I didn't need to do anything extra to preserve / protect the tail / hackle feathers for wearing. They should come today so I'll get tying.

flytire

Reaction score
the only thing to consider is the hackle that would be against the lapel which cold be trimmed

coug

Reaction score

if you normally tie durable flies then there would be no additional steps required

should be the same as tying on a normal hook

the brooch fly would be pinned on a lapel or somewhere similar and shouldnt see and abuse
I agree, I have done this many times and they hold up well. Only challenge is avoiding the pin when tying as it seems to break he thread every time when I do it!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi William,

I agree with Norm and coug above. I've made these before and the pin adds a new dynamic to the tying work. I was ask to make a pair of them for a member to give to his wife and he wanted classic salmon flies............ It took much longer than just making a fly. I did as Norm suggested in that I took no additional steps to ensure durability. Generally I have a fly bound together well enough to withstand fishing and the teeth of fish and I assume you do the same. Being worn on a lapel won't be nearly as harsh as being used for fishing.

Of course you're going to post the finished flies right?

Ard

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I tied a few "brooch" flies for the fischmeister's daughters a few years ago....it seemed to me that it was better to tie salmon flies which are "flat" and more colorful...;)

williamhj

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I've thought about trimming the hackle but wasn't sure how it would all fit when done, sounds like I'll be doing it. I am going to do a Royal Trude - the person I'm tying it for is named Trude (pronounced Trudy). An amazing woman who has volunteered to help support the very ill and dying in the hospital for years and years, long before I started working there. I figure 'royal Trude' is fitting.

Yes, it will be a learning experience for sure, but that's part of the fun. I think the colors on the royal trude a great and I think she'll enjoy it. Thanks again for the tips and yes Ard, as long as it isn't a total disaster, I'll post some pics :)

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, it will be a learning experience for sure, but that's part of the fun. I think the colors on the royal trude a great and I think she'll enjoy it. Thanks again for the tips and yes Ard, as long as it isn't a total disaster, I'll post some pics
William: What a great project, I know you tie well enough that this will turn out beautiful, she will really enjoy your gift!

williamhj

Reaction score
Here's the first attempt.

A few observations:
1. Cutting the thread wasn't much of an issue as I was able to bend the pin back perpendicular to the shank so it was largely out of the way. I didn't nick the peacock herl once though.

2. They are set-up for righties. Wrapping with my left hand, the pin was pointed right at me, which I tried to stay mindful of - it is sharp. Also the 'front' of the fly faces away from me.

All in all a great first round.

williamhj

Reaction score
Nice, maybe a little longer on the hackle collar, remember they won't be fished so go for balance and good looks :)
You are right. My brown cape has a lot of black in the larger feathers but I should be able to poke around and find a couple that could work. Had trouble finding calf body hair that is long enough for the downwing, considered using calftail as well.

Also want to leave a bit more room at the eye for a head.

Reaction score
One year when I was still working I decided to tie a brooch pin or tie tack for all 225 plus employees for their birthday. I made the tie tacks by getting a smaller size brooch pin, cutting off the pin and soldering on a clasp. I tied mostly salmon fly patterns using a lot of jungle cock, golden pheasant and other colorful feathers. My goal was to always have about a month supply of pins or tie tacks ready so I wouldn't be rushed. That worked for most of the year but by the end I was running home at noon to tie a pin so my secretary could get it sent over to the birthday girl/guy. If I were to do it again, which I won't as I've since retired, I would send instructions on how to wear the brooch pin as I noticed some of the women, who obviously we're not fisherman, wore them upside down. I purchased the pins from Dan Bailey and they give me nice discount because I bought so many.

williamhj

Reaction score
225?! Some great, personal gifts for sure. I could see it being rather fun. However I don't know many people who wear broaches or really even ties these days. I had to wear a tie at work in Michigan, but out here in Colorado it is far from the norm.

Here's attempt #2. Grabbed some longer hackles from the cape, used calf tail, and left a bit more room for the head. These are fun.