The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2016, 09:49 PM

jbcissell is a jewel in the roughjbcissell is a jewel in the roughjbcissell is a jewel in the rough
Default 1st meat whistle

Click the image to open in full size.

Not looking so great. Not as difficult as I thought it would be. As you can see I didn't realize I wasn't going to be able to get the conehead back over the thread.

I made the long trip to the most local fly shop and they were limited on bronze and dark brown materials so I had to improvise a little.

Had to get blood quill marabou for the closest thing to brown they had and didn't realize he handed me the same for the other two colors I got. Is that a big deal in this instance?

Josh

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2016, 04:31 AM

flytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant future
Default Re: 1st meat whistle

conehead looks to be too small or just too many wraps of thread behind it

Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 04-11-2016, 07:22 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry about the color substitution - can be very effective to sub colors and try new combinations. I do it all the time whether it is subbing colors or materials to get a different look or effect while in the water, or just because of the materials I have. On the one hand it can be smart to first learn a pattern before making changing (sometimes there are good reasons a certain color or material is used), but on the other hand, trying to have every material a pattern calls for, in every specific color can be crazy making (and bad for the budget). Finding something similar or changing things up is normal and can still create fish-catching flies.

Sizing things like beads and eyes can be tough. At some point you can develop a bit of an eye for it. However there are charts available to give guidance. I linked some below, there may be better out there, but I found these pretty quickly. For quick reference, I put some masking tape on the boxes where I keep my beads with the general sizing information for beads, cones, and eyes.

Creekside Angling Company | Fly Tying

How To Choose the Right Fly Tying Bead | Bead Head Fly Tying Information and Sizing Chart
fredaevans likes this.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:48 AM

jbcissell is a jewel in the roughjbcissell is a jewel in the roughjbcissell is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
conehead looks to be too small or just too many wraps of thread behind it

Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials
Too many wraps behind it. That's a medium cone for a 2/0 hook.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2016, 08:42 AM

comeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond repute

When I said they are tricky , not hard that's what I was referring to, there's a lot going on in there. I'll have to look up the cone size I used

Now as far as that gap you have if its bugging you , it probably won't bug the fish. Take about a 2" strip of your fur, cut it length wise to narrow it up and you could wrap that in to a collar similar to a slump buster. Like I said that's only if it's bugging you.
jbcissell likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 04-11-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
When I said they are tricky , not hard that's what I was referring to, there's a lot going on in there. I'll have to look up the cone size I used

Now as far as that gap you have if its bugging you , it probably won't bug the fish. Take about a 2" strip of your fur, cut it length wise to narrow it up and you could wrap that in to a collar similar to a slump buster. Like I said that's only if it's bugging you.
Thanks! Here is my second one. Getting a little closer. I'll get it down. I enjoy doing this. I have a lot to tie for the weekend

Old 04-11-2016, 10:28 AM

j_parson will become famous soon enough

Looks good to me. The other thing I like to do behind the cone is dub a veil with some ice dubbing in a complementary color. Makes for a nice transition and adds a little flash.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:38 PM

What do you mean by dub a veil? There is about 6 pieces of bronze flash in there on each side. You just can't see it because of the coloring of the picture. Is that what you're talking about?

Old 04-13-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post

Starting to get better. I started tying the rabbit with sili legs just a tad bit further back and then tying everything else in under where I want the cone. Otherwise it was building up too much for that cone. Maybe orvis' medium cones aren't as big as others? They don't have any other size info on the pack other than medium.

Josh

Old 04-13-2016, 12:33 PM

comeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond repute

Looks much better and yeah I think that cone is to small. I have a distinct advantage living 20 minutes from Charlie's shop where I walked in with a list , grabbed everything. Walk up to the counter, Charlie was there and he says

"Tying the meat whistle huh"

It looks good though but yes a larger cone, I use a size large on a 1/0 hook will help you. You still have to be careful not to overload it or even the large can have issues.

Looks good though

"Snap it" Hank Patterson