The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2016, 01:08 PM

javasmurf is on a distinguished road
Question Should I buy a whip finish tool?

It seems like whip finishing is very easy by hand: https://youtu.be/hynVdYIU5Cg

Is it worth buying a tool? I'm really counting my pennies because I'm a college student with no cash.

Thanks.
bigjim5589, hairwing530 and ts47 like this.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:14 PM

weiliwen has a spectacular aura aboutweiliwen has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Should I buy a whip finish tool?

I have a whip finish tool and never use it - I got accustomed to whip finishing by hand when I was in a situation similar to yours. I had a Thompson A vise given to me, a pair of pinking shears stolen from my mom's sewing kit, a $5 pair of hackle pliers, and that's just about it.

So no, not needed unless or until you can afford it. In fairness, I don't tie #24 dries, mostly nothing smaller than #16, so it might be nice for those tiny flies.
bigjim5589 and hairwing530 like this.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:28 PM

flytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud of

as long as you have a finger.....my answer is no

or fingers

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 04-25-2016, 01:54 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on where you are going to place the whip finish.

If you are going to whip finish the head of a fly, you don't "need" a tool. But if you are going to whip finish parachute hackle at the bottom of the post without remounting the fly, I say get a Matarelli tool because it make it so much easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ash9xlE6_zA#t

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-25-2016, 02:47 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I also learned to whip finish by hand and have never found a need for a tool. I have one, but don't use it. I don't often tie smaller than a 16, and frankly rarely smaller than an 8, as most flies I tie are not for trout. Only problem I have is with smaller size threads that wants to twist as I pull the knot tight, and the thread breaks as a result. I just can't seem to prevent this with just my fingers.

I'm sure a good tool would solve the problem, but I've found a bodkin & a bit of tension also solves it. I get a lot more use from a bodkin than I would ever get from a whip finish tool.
mcnerney likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-25-2016, 03:04 PM

boisker is on a distinguished road

I guess it's what your used to, if you can finish neatly by hand then no real need. I prefer using a matarelli tool... I use it all the time, so quicker and neater for me... Unless money is tight they won't break the bank if you want to give it a go..
mcnerney and hairwing530 like this.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:51 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

It is personal preference really. Some really good tiers some matarelli whip finishers.

It is not right or wrong to use a tool or whip by hand. However, there is a right and wrong way to whip finish. Most fly tiers do not know that the direction of the whip finish is important. The goal is to get a tight whip finish with the thread wraps laid adjacent going toward the hook eye.

Whip Finish direction (Amanda--) - The Fly Tying Bench - Fly Tying

As to whether to whip by hand or use a tool, use the method that is fastest and most accurate for you. Two of the best fly tyers in the world use whip finishers.

Charlie Craven uses the Matarelli to tie his two minute parachute adams
AND he whips TOWARDS the hook eye.

Davie McPhail, who may be the best fly tier in the world uses a Matarelli whip finisher.
See 6 minutes into the video below.
Davie Mcphail uses the Matarelli even on large flies like this Brown Leech.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-25-2016, 04:27 PM

rockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud of

It's really not necessary, but if you have the few extra bucks, go for it. In your position, I'd say no if I was buying.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:35 PM

moucheur2003 is a name known to allmoucheur2003 is a name known to allmoucheur2003 is a name known to allmoucheur2003 is a name known to allmoucheur2003 is a name known to allmoucheur2003 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by javasmurf View Post
It seems like whip finishing is very easy by hand: https://youtu.be/hynVdYIU5Cg

Is it worth buying a tool? I'm really counting my pennies because I'm a college student with no cash.

Thanks.
If you find it easy to do by hand, there's no need to buy a tool. But like all knots it can be a bit tricky until you get the hang of it. if it doesn't come easily, the name-branded tools may be pricey, but many fly shops carry no-name Matarelli style whip finishing tools for only a few bucks.

Or you can just tie three or four half hitches and secure them with a small drop of head cement instead. The fish won't care.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:51 PM

fr8dog is on a distinguished road

I use a tool. The last time I tried to hand tie one I had to dial 911 with my nose and have the EMT's cut me free from the vise.

(Seriously, I tried and failed when my finisher broke. Was in a hotel so I grabbed a large paper clip and MacGyver'd one. Still got that stupid thing.)