The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2016, 06:12 PM

fishiowa is a splendid one to beholdfishiowa is a splendid one to beholdfishiowa is a splendid one to beholdfishiowa is a splendid one to beholdfishiowa is a splendid one to beholdfishiowa is a splendid one to beholdfishiowa is a splendid one to beholdfishiowa is a splendid one to behold
Default Minimalist Project

Recently a couple things got me thinking about a minimalist setup for the local streams. First, I began to notice that on my little 2-3 hour trips to local creeks sometimes I didnít even open a fly box, I simply used flies from my drying patch. The second was that I ran across this cigarette case that I thought would make a neat fly box.

Click the image to open in full size.

I added some triangle cut foam which allowed room for 63 flies. I had a lot of fun over the past couple weeks deciding which flies to include and then tying them for this box. I took my first clue from looking at the aforementioned drying patch. I also limited it to 3 flies of a given pattern/size. Here is what I came up with, heavy on beadheads in #12 & #16 with enough unweighted nymphs, soft hackles and dries to cover most of the bases:

Switching materials every third fly did make a bit of a mess of my tying desk.

I will probably cheat on my self-imposed rule of 63 flies in one box and stick a couple streamers in my hat band. Other than that the fly box along with nippers, tippet, floatant (Yea, I know it is the wrong kind but I didn't want to remove the one from my bag), tungsten putty, indicator putty and of course my cheaters should cover all my needs; if not my wants, on the small, local streams.

In reality, with the exception of a couple really tight streams in late summer when the weeds are well over my head or mid-winter when Iím too bundled up to move I donít see actually using this setup. I really like my fishing bag and it is not at all heavy or obtrusive so I really donít have a need to go lighter but it was a fun exercise.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:33 PM

ia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant future
Default Re: Minimalist Project

I'm proud of you for not having 60 fox squirrel nymphs in the same color Rich. You sure that's the only fly box you're taking? Now we'll just have to see if you can actually make the walk from the car to the stream without excessive withdrawal pains.

And get back to us when you no longer have eight 4WTs. I know, baby steps.
spm likes this.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:25 PM

fishiowa is a splendid one to beholdfishiowa is a splendid one to beholdfishiowa is a splendid one to beholdfishiowa is a splendid one to beholdfishiowa is a splendid one to beholdfishiowa is a splendid one to beholdfishiowa is a splendid one to beholdfishiowa is a splendid one to behold

LOL, Hey, just getting back to you Dewayne; I no longer have eight 4wts, the count is now up to 10.
ia_trouter and spm like this.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:31 PM

ia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiowa View Post
LOL, Hey, just getting back to you Dewayne; I no longer have eight 4wts, the count is now up to 10.
LOL, only 45 minutes. It's getting easier to understand how you can fish so much and still sell mint gear now and then.
fishiowa and spm like this.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:12 PM

spm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant future

The cigarette case re-purpose is a pretty neat idea. I may even have one or two of those left over from the bad old days, when I was cool; think James Dean. I keep thinking I need to work on minimizing what I take on the stream. However, I have wonder about minimizing ideas from someone who has ten 4wts???

steve
fishiowa likes this.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:28 PM

I did some minimizing last week. Lost my digital camera somewhere on the stream. Why I don't have my name of stuff yet I don't know. Would have been nice to have a small chance of getting it back.

Back on topic I think I have my load down well enough for the Driftless. I just need to figure out how I prefer to carry it. Bought a small Patagonia pack, then I still carry along a small Cabela's bag anyway. Neither are anywhere near full so not sure why I need both.
spm likes this.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:36 AM

stenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post and pic's... along with one helluva fly tying station!
onemississipp and spm like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 07-06-2016, 09:59 AM

spm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
I did some minimizing last week. Lost my digital camera somewhere on the stream. Why I don't have my name of stuff yet I don't know. Would have been nice to have a small chance of getting it back.

Back on topic I think I have my load down well enough for the Driftless. I just need to figure out how I prefer to carry it. Bought a small Patagonia pack, then I still carry along a small Cabela's bag anyway. Neither are anywhere near full so not sure why I need both.
Unintentional minimizing?

Now that we're on the bag/pack subject, I have to admit I came away from my Iowa trip with serious bag envy. I love that Filson conversion Rich has. I have been searching for one since I got home and have come up empty. I did go to ebay and picked up a cheap bag from China to try, but this is probably better left for another post.

steve
ia_trouter likes this.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:57 PM

hjw is on a distinguished road

That's awesome! Been wanting to go back to a fly wallet for a while now.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:48 PM

comeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond repute

Blasphemy damn it

You absolutely are not fishing effectively unless you have 6 massive fly boxes in your hip pack at all times. How do you know you're not going to just absolutely need that one midge you tied 4 years ago and todays the day and you dont have it with you.

Good lord, you must also have 7 spools of tippet, 6 extra leaders in every size, bobbers, floatant, yarn, nippers , scissors, back up floatant, dry floatant, 3 dry patches, 2 spare rods, 3 spare reels

Oh wait thats me cause my buddies come so un prepared

If I had the stones I would do the same....so good on you !!!

"Snap it" Hank Patterson