Recently a couple things got me thinking about a minimalist setup for the local streams. First, I began to notice that on my little 2-3 hour trips to local creeks sometimes I didnít even open a fly box, I simply used flies from my drying patch. The second was that I ran across this cigarette case that I thought would make a neat fly box.
I added some triangle cut foam which allowed room for 63 flies. I had a lot of fun over the past couple weeks deciding which flies to include and then tying them for this box. I took my first clue from looking at the aforementioned drying patch. I also limited it to 3 flies of a given pattern/size. Here is what I came up with, heavy on beadheads in #12 & #16 with enough unweighted nymphs, soft hackles and dries to cover most of the bases:
Switching materials every third fly did make a bit of a mess of my tying desk.
I will probably cheat on my self-imposed rule of 63 flies in one box and stick a couple streamers in my hat band. Other than that the fly box along with nippers, tippet, floatant (Yea, I know it is the wrong kind but I didn't want to remove the one from my bag), tungsten putty, indicator putty and of course my cheaters should cover all my needs; if not my wants, on the small, local streams.
In reality, with the exception of a couple really tight streams in late summer when the weeds are well over my head or mid-winter when Iím too bundled up to move I donít see actually using this setup. I really like my fishing bag and it is not at all heavy or obtrusive so I really donít have a need to go lighter but it was a fun exercise.