The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2016, 07:38 PM

webb971 is on a distinguished road
Default Synthetic bucktail?

What is the best synthetic hair for bucktail and where can I get it? Looking for stuff that is a good replacement as well as cheaper than bucktail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2016, 07:56 PM

moucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Synthetic bucktail?

Lots of tyers use craft fur
mcnerney and hairwing530 like this.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:57 PM

Where do they get the craft fur?

hairwing530 likes this.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:01 PM

flytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant futureflytire has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by webb971 View Post
Where do they get the craft fur?
craft stores. really

or fly shops

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 07-27-2016, 11:01 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Long pile craft fur is waht you want:

Long Pile Craft Fur | Hobby Lobby

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-28-2016, 12:25 AM

Can you dye the craft fur?

hairwing530 likes this.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:33 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use a lot of craft fur and it's not all created equal.
I hate to say it, but the stuff that you get from a fly shop is head and shoulders better that the craft store stuff.

Here's a basic truth. Craft fur mats.
You can't tie in a clump like you would with bucktail
It has to be a pinch at a time to spread it out.

When it comes to tying "bucktails" and flies such as deceivers and Clouser minnows as far as I'm concerned, there is no substitute for bucktail.
For some reason flies with bucktail always perform better that the same flies tied with synthetics.

There are times when for durability sake that a substitution might be necessary.
In a case like that I use a material called Polar Fibre.
It's very much like the craft fur but seems to behave better

But buck tails are cheap.
Unless you're constantly dragging your flies across the bottom or feeding them to bluefish, there's little reason to substitute.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:41 AM

hokiehunter07 is a splendid one to beholdhokiehunter07 is a splendid one to beholdhokiehunter07 is a splendid one to beholdhokiehunter07 is a splendid one to beholdhokiehunter07 is a splendid one to beholdhokiehunter07 is a splendid one to beholdhokiehunter07 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post

But buck tails are cheap.
Unless you're constantly dragging your flies across the bottom or feeding them to bluefish, there's little reason to substitute.
Exactly. Quality craft fur is actually probably more expensive than bucktail, harder to work with, and doesn't perform as well in typical bucktail style flies. If it's shop availability that's one thing. Another advantage is that if you're a whitetail hunter or know someone who is you can end up with more bucktail than you know what to do with. Call your local game processing shop and they'll likely save you as many bucktails as you want.

Hokie.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:50 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You know what else I use a lot of ??

Halloween wigs.

They come in all kinds of styles and colors and the day after Halloween you can pick them up for pennies

This "bucktail deceiver" was tied solely from a "Don King" fright wig that I bought for a quarter.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:03 AM

ia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
When it comes to tying "bucktails" and flies such as deceivers and Clouser minnows as far as I'm concerned, there is no substitute for bucktail.
For some reason flies with bucktail always perform better that the same flies tied with synthetics.
I agree. If I was trying to keep it is as cheap as possible, I would buy a few white bucktails and die them. It will koolaid dye reasonably well. Chartreus, orange and light blue anyway. Real dye works better though. Cheap craft fur did not give me anything close to an acceptable result on the few flies I attempted to use it on. It just matted up in the water.