How fast can you tie?

missin44

Reaction score
This is actually a question for you guys that tie a lot. Hairwing530 or commercial tier for example.
Basic stuff: Adams, Royal Wulff, Prince Nymph, etc.

Just curious

Last edited:

bloomagoo

Reaction score
Count me on the non-professional side, I only tie a few times per year, mostly in the winter. But I sat down at the desk last weekend and popped out about 30 wooly buggers and 10 bead head nymphs in about 3-4 hours. I'm slow as molasses. I figured if I had all my materials prepped and organized I probably could turn out a simple fly in about 3-4 minutes. The old eyes slow me down a lot, I have to keep replacing the cheaters to see what I'm doing. I drop a lot of hooks, beads, etc and need to go searching for them with my old eyes. After all that, my back starts to seriously ache so that I need to get up from the chair and do something else for a while. I'd go broke tying for a living.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Non Professional tier here, Ive sort of monitored this a bit just to see

Approx times

Zebra Midge - 3 minutes

Rainbow Warrior 4-5 minutes

Pheasant Tail or Hares Ear 6-7 minutes

Parachute Adams 7-8 minutes

If I am trying to crank out quantity I will use the rotary feature of my NorVise where applicable and shave a minute or so here and there.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
As fast as I need! :rolleyes:

I can tie some flies pretty fast, like a couple of dozen an hour, but that depends on the pattern. I can't tie dry flies that fast, or patterns I don't tie often.

When I was tying commercially, (1989 to 2003) I tied in an assembly line manner, only tying specific steps at a time, sometimes spending a couple of hours on each step, then proceeding. In this way I could tie a lot of flies in a day and the average time per fly would have been much faster than I could tie them start to finish as most hobby tyers will do.

Now, I usually tie complete flies, and am in no hurry, so sometimes it's a slow process, other times I'll pick up the pace.

I haven't timed my tying in a long time now either! :rolleyes:

flytire

Reaction score
i have no idea how fast i can tie but would rather use whatever time to tie quality flies

nevadanstig

Reaction score
As others have said, quality over quantity.
It's kinds of funny, I had a bit of a revelation last week. I started fly fishing probably like most, buying flies. Then I started tying. I remember thinking how long does it take to get as good as the guys that tie the ones at the store.
Then I never bought another fly. And since I wasn't buying them, I never really looked at them.
Then, last week, I actually looked through the fly selection at a local store (big box). The wife was off doing something, I was bored. I couldn't believe how BAD a lot of the flies looked. Lopsided, uneven, gaps, etc. I chuckled, both because I couldn't believe they actually sell those things, and because I remember when I thought those were pretty good flies.
I just tie for myself, and have plenty of time to keep me more than stocked. I'll keep on the quality path.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I go as slow as I need to. There are a very few I can do quickly, not including the San Juan Worm. But on average, maybe 20 to 25 minutes. It's difficult for me, but I enjoy it very much.

But I'm getting better at it.

lake flyer

Reaction score
If I stay organized and prepare the materials first then I usually can tie 9-10 Adams per hour.

Copper johns, three per hour then I quit. Hated tying those things so I switched to tying brassies.

Same thing with the prince nymph. Those biots for the tail and wings are diffficult for me to get looking and laying right. I tie zug bugs instead.

Most of the flies that I will fish have to be easy enough to tie a half dozen in an hour or they won't make it into my fly boxes.

My hats off to those professional tyers who do thousands of flies a year.

karstopo

Reaction score
Yes, I wonder how professional tyers ever make a living tying, I'd certainly starve to death at the rate I tie.

I tie for myself, although I've sold a whopping $28 including shipping for flies, and love making it right, which is harder than it should be at times.

I really only tie bigger salty type flies that are easier than the few tiny flies that I tried. One of my proven type redfish crack like flies I probably could do 12 an hour. I bet if I really got organized and motivated, I could do 20 in an hour.

comeonavs

Reaction score
If I stay organized and prepare the materials first then I usually can tie 9-10 Adams per hour.

Copper johns, three per hour then I quit. Hated tying those things so I switched to tying brassies.

Same thing with the prince nymph. Those biots for the tail and wings are diffficult for me to get looking and laying right. I tie zug bugs instead.

Most of the flies that I will fish have to be easy enough to tie a half dozen in an hour or they won't make it into my fly boxes.

My hats off to those professional tyers who do thousands of flies a year.
Sorry to hijack thread I am king of that but you're comment made me chuckle. I hate tying copper johns and can marginally stand prince nymphs due to the biots so I resorted to this and I catch a lot on it

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack thread I am king of that but you're comment made me chuckle. I hate tying copper johns and can marginally stand Prince nymphs

So it's not just me?? Lol. Tried my first copper johns and Prince nymphs a few weeks back over Sunday afternoon. Think I spent about 3 hours to knock out 3-4 of them. But I was distracted with football on TV and adult beverages so it wasn't too painful.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I love to tie, but anything with biots just looks like such a bargain to buy now. :) Most professional tyers now live in Kenya or Asia, Making minimum wage would be tough if you are tying anything beyond simple nymphs and streamers.

bbbruce77

Reaction score
I have spent a lot time helping people down in southern Mexico to get faster at tying while maintaining a high quality end product. The number 1 thing to do, is to keep your scissers in your hand at all times. It takes awhile to get comfortable having your scissers in your hand continuously. My two fastest tyers were also my best tyers. They could knock out the most difficult patterns at the highest speed while maintaining the highest quality.

don_p

Reaction score
Strictly a novice hobby (trout fly) tyer and honestly never tried cranking them out. For me tying is enjoyment, a type of relaxation therapy. My PC and vise share the same desk so I'll find a step by step YouTube video or a forum with a photo SBS for the pattern I want to try and tie and I'll follow along until my work looks just like the one I'm copying. Sometimes that can take considerable time :)
For the stuff I use and tie frequently I could probably zip thru them fairly quickly but I tend to be particular and that adds to the time, but I consider it time well spent.

missin44

Reaction score
I was just curious. I should have been a bit more clear. I was not interested in how fast if put on a clock. But really interested in a "ballpark" number when tying, figure average time. After reading all the posts it appears that many types in stages on one multiple flys of the same pattern. So assume you did 10 Elk Hair Caddis in an hour that's a fly every 6 minutes. Again just an average for those guys that tie a lot.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack thread I am king of that but you're comment made me chuckle. I hate tying copper johns and can marginally stand prince nymphs due to the biots so I resorted to this and I catch a lot on it

Nice fly comeonavs. Funny, the Prince nymph is actually a fly I really get into tying. It's that fly I tied a lot for my nephew when he took second place at the fly fishing tourney in Meeker. The biots can be challenging, but I guess that's what makes it fun for me.

idahoclouser

Reaction score
Definitely quality over quantity for me here too. I'm lucky if I can average a dozen per hour on nymphs, less on dries. Here at our Sportsmans Warehouse the quality will make your stomach rolls, but up north at some of the fly shops in the Sun Valley area the quality is amazing. The price reflects it though :eek:

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Yes, I wonder how professional tyers ever make a living tying, I'd certainly starve to death at the rate I tie.

I tie for myself, although I've sold a whopping $28 including shipping for flies, and love making it right, which is harder than it should be at times.

I really only tie bigger salty type flies that are easier than the few tiny flies that I tried. One of my proven type redfish crack like flies I probably could do 12 an hour. I bet if I really got organized and motivated, I could do 20 in an hour.

Most anyone would starve to death no matter how fast you tie. You certainly won't be making a mortgage payment. I got to know the owner of Uintah Fly Shop some offline when he launched and tried to advertise here. Really nice guy, but I knew he was doomed. I bought a few dozen flies at a buck or less. Great quality, low prices, fast shipping and personable service. None of that mattered at all. Competing against the convenience of a local fly shops. Many hobbyists tie for themselves, maybe even for a few friends like I do. Retired guys like you dabbling in the business and selling on ebay or internet forums. You would have no prayer if you were a legitimate business paying all the fees associated with that. He paid the fees to advertise on the world's largest fly fishing website, and didn't recover a fraction of his expense. Had his wife shipping and helping out. And oh yeah, you have to compete against slave labor if you want to do real volume. He was out of business in under a year. It's the last business I would ever attempt to launch. It doesn't matter how fast you personally tie.

JoJer

Reaction score
I have those same physical limitations that come with age mentioned above. The real detriment to my "FPM" rate is that I can't stay interested in doing the same pattern much beyond 4 or 5 flies. I want to start experimenting and substituting materials. It's partly why I'm not eager to join swaps anymore. It becomes a grind.
Nowadays, I have so many completed bugs around, I'm giving them away and going back thru the boxes, pulling out the marginal ties and reusing the hooks.
By the way- last spring, as fishing was really getting busy at one of our favorite local rivers-anglers standing around waiting to swoop into likely looking holes- I got HUGE enjoyment out of surrendering the hole early and giving the newcomers flies that were working. People were so surprised to be detoured on the road to combat angling!