Interest in granite and/or rock maple butcher block pedestal?

sndmn11

Reaction score
Would anyone have an interest in granite or rock maple butcher block vice pedestals? If so, what do you think would be a fair price for either?

don_p

Reaction score
Saw some really interesting designs in granite at the fly tying expo in Danbury not long ago. Some really good looking rocks all polished up like that. Cool looking, but not my style. If I remember correctly they were $90 - $120 neighborhood.

Would butcher block even be heavy enough? Now a butcher block complete desk top with a vise mount made into it would be pretty cool.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
It sounds cool on paper. I would be worried about weight though (or lack thereof).

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

nevadanstig

Reaction score
They look pretty cool, but how do they look with feathers, hair, and dripped epoxy stuck all over them? Lol.

Last edited:

sndmn11

Reaction score
Yep Don, that's the idea. I've collected a fair amount of each and am going to make one up for myself. I figured if there was a demand for some, which it doesn't seem there is, I would make up the rest of what I can.

el jefe

Reaction score
I think those granite bases are pretty sweet!! Given what a vise costs, the granite base doesn't seem like such a frivolous purchase. Granite is a great idea for a base, especially with some of the treatment that the bottom of those stones get in that video.

In any case, it's cost competitive with Abel nippers. (Sorry, I had to.:D)

eastfly66

Reaction score
If you have a plant near you that fabricates Thin Stone Natural Veneer they will most likely give you all the pieces you want. Those cuts are waste or center cut. Being in the trade , I have the table saws and hand chop saws (not ideal) to cut from the raw stone. There are 2 plants that I know of around here , one in MA the other in CT. I had a supplier in either MT. or WY. , I would have to go back and look it up. Counter top shops will also have the same waste but maybe not in the rough edge like this sample , depends on the scope of their fabrication.

I think their a nice touch but not for $120 .

Time & material , maybe sell at about $80 and you could still turn a profit....if you get the cuts for free.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
It sounds cool on paper. I would be worried about weight though (or lack thereof).

I occasionally get some thick slabs or hardwood burl in the woodworking shop that would be heavy enough. Most species of wood are too light if you keep the size of the base reasonable.

When I tie big flies I wish I had a granite base, but a $5 wood clamp with pads gets me by very well. I think the granite bases are cool, and if the top was polished it would clean up just fine with a sharp wood chisel. Especially if you threw a coat of wax or oil on it a couple times a year. That would only take a few seconds.

fr8dog

Reaction score
Those do look real nice. I think a wide base would make up for less weight.

About 15 years ago, one of my neighbors had a real nice laser etching machine. It could put any design on any surface. When he was learning how to use it, he'd make stuff for me. I'll bet he could have done some nice scenes on those bases. I got shot glasses, coffee mugs, and wine glasses with my old company logo. Should have thought about fishes.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
It's a cool idea. I might pay $40-$50 for one. Not saying it isn't worth more than that, it would just be hard for me to justify more than that for something to make my vice look pretty without adding any functionality.

As a purchase for a new vice or an add-on pedestal for someone looking to convert their clamp-base vice, might be worth more.

But then again people make a lot of fly fishing purchases where the price far exceeds the functionality....so what the heck, make a few with a $200 price tag and see what happens! Or put a "trout pattern" anodized finish on it and charge $500!

sndmn11

Reaction score
Well I whacked my granite slab and got some pieces out of it, I will have to see if I can figure out what to mount to hold the stem.

sndmn11

Reaction score
I have seen that one as well as the Peak version, I may be able to find something a little more cost effective at the hardware store.

fr8dog

Reaction score
I have seen that one as well as the Peak version, I may be able to find something a little more cost effective at the hardware store.
I looked at my son's Renzetti. Allen head set screw that would need to be counter sunk. To do granite, you'd probably need some kind of rubber feet, so a flatter panhead screw might work.

Question is: How to drill Granite? I looked it up, there's info out there, has anyone done it?

I have some old marble stashed somewhere. Might dig it out and give it a try.

The rough edged granite would look really nice as a base. A good sized chunk would make a nice bottom for a tying station. My wood one is 19x14". Last time I priced granite for a different project, it was $30 a sq/ft. Not bad. With some creativity (which I pretty much lack) might be worth a look into.

eastfly66

Reaction score
Question is: How to drill Granite? I looked it up, there's info out there, has anyone done it?
Usually it is done with a core bit and water attachment but for a small hole like that it's not needed. Masonry bits (SDS & SDS Max) rated for "very hard" will work , stick with quality brands like Millwaukee which can be found at Homedepot and the like, otherwise go to a masonry supplier. Rotary impact hammer is a must unless you want to be there forever.