The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2016, 03:50 PM

sndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to behold
Default Interest in granite and/or rock maple butcher block pedestal?

Would anyone have an interest in granite or rock maple butcher block vice pedestals? If so, what do you think would be a fair price for either?
Old 12-29-2016, 09:22 PM

don_p has much to be proud ofdon_p has much to be proud ofdon_p has much to be proud ofdon_p has much to be proud ofdon_p has much to be proud ofdon_p has much to be proud ofdon_p has much to be proud ofdon_p has much to be proud of
Default Re: Interest in granite and/or rock maple butcher block pedestal?

Saw some really interesting designs in granite at the fly tying expo in Danbury not long ago. Some really good looking rocks all polished up like that. Cool looking, but not my style. If I remember correctly they were $90 - $120 neighborhood.

Would butcher block even be heavy enough? Now a butcher block complete desk top with a vise mount made into it would be pretty cool.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:36 PM

nevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant future

It sounds cool on paper. I would be worried about weight though (or lack thereof).

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:49 PM

don_p has much to be proud ofdon_p has much to be proud ofdon_p has much to be proud ofdon_p has much to be proud ofdon_p has much to be proud ofdon_p has much to be proud ofdon_p has much to be proud ofdon_p has much to be proud of

The Granite Fly | Custom Granite Fly Tying Bases

Click the image to open in full size.
hairwing530 and nevadanstig like this.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:55 PM

nevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant future

They look pretty cool, but how do they look with feathers, hair, and dripped epoxy stuck all over them? Lol.

hairwing530 and ejsell like this.

Last edited by nevadanstig; 12-29-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:45 PM

sndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to behold

Yep Don, that's the idea. I've collected a fair amount of each and am going to make one up for myself. I figured if there was a demand for some, which it doesn't seem there is, I would make up the rest of what I can.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:21 PM

el jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant future

I think those granite bases are pretty sweet!! Given what a vise costs, the granite base doesn't seem like such a frivolous purchase. Granite is a great idea for a base, especially with some of the treatment that the bottom of those stones get in that video.

In any case, it's cost competitive with Abel nippers. (Sorry, I had to.)
Old 12-30-2016, 03:52 AM

eastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_p View Post
If you have a plant near you that fabricates Thin Stone Natural Veneer they will most likely give you all the pieces you want. Those cuts are waste or center cut. Being in the trade , I have the table saws and hand chop saws (not ideal) to cut from the raw stone. There are 2 plants that I know of around here , one in MA the other in CT. I had a supplier in either MT. or WY. , I would have to go back and look it up. Counter top shops will also have the same waste but maybe not in the rough edge like this sample , depends on the scope of their fabrication.

I think their a nice touch but not for $120 .

Time & material , maybe sell at about $80 and you could still turn a profit....if you get the cuts for free.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:21 AM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadanstig View Post
It sounds cool on paper. I would be worried about weight though (or lack thereof).

I occasionally get some thick slabs or hardwood burl in the woodworking shop that would be heavy enough. Most species of wood are too light if you keep the size of the base reasonable.

When I tie big flies I wish I had a granite base, but a $5 wood clamp with pads gets me by very well. I think the granite bases are cool, and if the top was polished it would clean up just fine with a sharp wood chisel. Especially if you threw a coat of wax or oil on it a couple times a year. That would only take a few seconds.
mcnerney, hairwing530 and ejsell like this.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:10 PM

fr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to behold

Those do look real nice. I think a wide base would make up for less weight.

About 15 years ago, one of my neighbors had a real nice laser etching machine. It could put any design on any surface. When he was learning how to use it, he'd make stuff for me. I'll bet he could have done some nice scenes on those bases. I got shot glasses, coffee mugs, and wine glasses with my old company logo. Should have thought about fishes.
hairwing530, audax and ia_trouter like this.