The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 07:22 AM

nralover is on a distinguished road
Default Foam for poppers?

What is a good type of foam for poppers? I read somewhere that plain old styrofoam, and water noodles from the pool section work well. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks, NRA
Old 04-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Foam for poppers?

I have a bag full of foam poppers a friend made from a dollar store flip flop using a drimil tool. They work great. I think I've read an article about making them but will have to hunt it up and let you know where I found it.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 04-02-2008, 09:31 AM

nralover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkknight View Post
I have a bag full of foam poppers a friend made from a dollar store flip flop using a drimil tool. They work great. I think I've read an article about making them but will have to hunt it up and let you know where I found it.
Thanks,
Terry
Sounds great, thank you
Old 04-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi nralover,

The best foam is closed cell foam. If you don't use closed cell foam you need to seal the foam with paint or better yet, epoxy.

A very good way to make poppers is with Balsa Wood bought at the local hobby shop. You will still need to seal the wood. Balsa wood poppers have been used for years and works very well. Get a 1/2" rod and have a go at it. If you want big bass poppers then go with 3/4".

Frank
Old 04-04-2008, 12:57 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

I get my popers through a pack. It comes with the head already made and hooks. All you have to do is put the head on however you want it (regular poper or sneeky pete) then add the stuffs to the rest of the hook. They also paint very well. Also one thing is, if you use any sort of glue on it to make sure it wont melt it. Some supper glues melt that stuff. So far I have not found any paint that harms it. For referance I will post under patterns the pete I just made.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:06 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Ok here's how we do it up here in Maine.......

1. Start by making cutters out of steel line, fuel/brake or whatever you can find. Choosing diameters that fit the size of the heads you want. Go to heavy equipment shops for a good selection.

2. Cut the pipe off into manageable pieces say 3 inches long. Then using a file sharpen the edge, the outer edge. To aid in cutting you can serrate the edge with a triangle file.

3. I mount mine in a hobby drill press. It gives me speed and depth control. Remember to place a piece of plywood over table prior to use. To keep from dulling the cutters on the drill press table.

4. Now using "Flip-Flops" as a source for foam I drill out bodies in all sizes and colors. Some flipflops come in multiple colored layers. Blue/white/blue, or yellow/black/yellow. I get all I can handle from my local department store on clearance each fall.

5. Generally I do not reshape these plugs. But as someone previously posted. You could spin these plugs in a dremel tool and "lathe" them to a tapered profile. Either using an xacto knife or sandpaper. But I have great luck using my "earplugs" as is.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"