The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2008, 09:35 PM

RoanokeRiveraddict is on a distinguished road
Default Beads?

I was wondering what beads work best for midge heads? I just bought a house with the wife and remember seeing that the guy was a fly fisherman. I guess either hee left it or his kids were into making beaded jewelry or something cause I found a tupperware container full of little plastic beads. Will these work if I can get them on the hooks?

RRA
Old 04-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beads?

How big are they? sounds like they may be "Seed Beads". They will work on smaller flies, you just have to get them little rascals over the point, also you may have to pinch the barb to get them on.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:24 PM

I believe they are Seed Beads and some are a bit too small and misshapen to use. I just tied two midge nymphs without any problems. But I do have two questions. 1) What size hooks to use? 2) What materials, I used some heavy black thread and some thick glittery gold thread. I have read about using some tubing but without any I just used thread.? I guess these are real newbie question but I just started, I am a teacher, and tell kids all the time there are no stupid questions so I am not shy.

RRA
Old 04-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoanokeRiveraddict View Post
I believe they are Seed Beads and some are a bit too small and misshapen to use. I just tied two midge nymphs without any problems. But I do have two questions. 1) What size hooks to use? 2) What materials, I used some heavy black thread and some thick glittery gold thread. I have read about using some tubing but without any I just used thread.? I guess these are real newbie question but I just started, I am a teacher, and tell kids all the time there are no stupid questions so I am not shy.

RRA

(1) Hook size would depend on the fly your tying, and as far as beads go, if you can find a hook that they will go on, you can probably use it.

(2) Your thread sounds a bit big for tying midge patterns, for smaller patterns like some of the midge patterns(18-24 or even down to 32) you may want to try 6/0 or 8/0 threads.

You right, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers and I have a lot of them.

Have you gone into the older threads in the fly tying section? lot's of good stuff there.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:37 PM

Will do...

I think the ones I tied will be more of practice pieces. I looked at a few online a few minutes ago and I used HUGE hooks compared to what I saw. Oh well good practice wrapping I guess...

RRA

Salem, VA

Outfits:
Orvis Clearwater 6# - Hobbs Creek Reel
TFO NXT 4/5# - TFO NXT Reel
Old 04-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi RoanokeRiveraddict,

Here is an example of a midge using a plastic bead. You can tye this from a 12 down to a 16. I like a red head on one midge I use to tye.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:31 AM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough

I use the smallest gold beads I can find at cabela's. They work good for me.