The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2008, 12:04 PM

neversink will become famous soon enoughneversink will become famous soon enough
Eyes" for streamers: Does it really matter?

Jungle cock, sticker eyes, or doll eyes. They give life when finishing fly for sure.

However, hasn't this thought come into you: "Do I really need to tie eyes for my streamers"?
Excluding any economic reasoning, and for pure simplicity's sake, what is your view on this topic?

From my limited streamer experience within 5 out of 10 years in fresh or salt waters; I could not tell
the clear difference between "non-eyed" and "eyed" from weight-free malabou pattern against salmon
to EP baitfish pattern against sea bass.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:57 PM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Eyes" for streamers: Does it really matter?

You'll probably get the variety of opinions but besides the obvious functional application of weighted dumbell eyes, I think eyes are more for the fisherman than the fish. I've had them bitten off and fall off various patterns without any decrease in bight action.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:00 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I am of the school of thought that says if you feel confident, you'll fish more
confidently, and you're success rate will improve. I tie my flies so that they look good to both the fish and me. It gives me more confidence in the pattern
if I've done all I could. Having said that, I only use chain bead, imitation JC, and sometimes a dab of paint. I don't use lead dumbells: one close call with a
rod tip was enough .
Old 04-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I like eyes but don't know what effect it might have on the fish. I will say that eyes could be a bite trigger for fish eating minnows. That could also be said for some flash down the sides of the streamer. If you are trying to imitate minnows I think both of these things are needed.

Frank
Old 04-17-2008, 06:37 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Frank is right on the money, Also a tail line works to..Mostly in salt though..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 04-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Common philosophy about Streamers with eyes, is that the 'Big Eyes' give the attacking fish a striking point.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-18-2008, 06:06 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

I think the eyes have it!!!!!!!

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 04-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

"Jeepers Creepers where'd you get those Peepers, Jeeper Creepers Where'd you get those eyes"

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-18-2008, 10:56 AM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Eyes realy do not matter. Thing is a fish coming to eat it isnt going to stop and say HEY THIS DONT HAVE EYES I CANT EAT IT. More so it looks pleasing to our eye and a bit more beleavale to us so we feel better about useing it. I use many lures and flies that dont have eyes. Though I am like eyes on my pike streamers. I tend to make them an off color from the rest of the fly. This adds a bit of color or flash that may or may not get someones attention. Also think of it as this. You are using a popper for bass, the head and eyes are above the water, u think that bass is going to see it when he is under the water? No not realy, but again it looks complete to us so we are going to use it. IMNSHO eyes complete the fly/streamer as long as it is a bait fish sort of pattern. I dont see many grubs, nymphs, etc that have eyes on them. If you want to get down to it eyes are more like the iceing on the cake...your not eating the cake just for the iceing (or are you) your eating it cause it is cake.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

When it comes down to it they may not matter at times, but I think they add a 'Positive attribute' to your Streamer that will make a difference more often than not.
Many 'Old school' FlyFisherman that have been doing this for many, many, years, and have forgotten more about F/F than I will ever know, believe they are an essential part of a Streamer.
And that there is good enough for me, but then what do I know.