The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 09:29 AM

sesro1978 is on a distinguished road
Question Standard vs. Parachute

Hi-

Just curious how many folks out there prefer a parachute dry to a standard, 2-wing hackled dry fly?

Do you find they work better/catch more fish during hatch and non-hatch times?

For whatever reason I've had very good luck with parachute dries...maybe I simply like them better so I tie more of them and thus have more in my fly-box... maybe it is because they tend to "sit" lower in the surface film...

~Seth
Old 05-08-2008, 12:16 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Standard vs. Parachute

standard

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 05-08-2008, 05:24 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

I think parachutes are definitely more realistic. I like parachutes and comparaduns for smoother water and tend to think of the standard catskill style dries for rougher water. Although parachutes float really well too.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:28 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

I like both of them. I can see the parachute in rougher water, so i use them when it gets rough or fast. Standard (in my opinion) just look better, so I try to use them if the conditions are right.

John
Old 05-08-2008, 06:42 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

I know this isn't a good reason for choosing a fly, but..... I have more parachute flies b/c they are easier to tie, so I end up using parachutes more often.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:47 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Parachutes!! In my opinion they present a better profile to the fish from below than a standard dry. The success of a fly depends on the fishes view not mine. The more realistic it looks from below the surface the better it will perform in terms of action.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Mostly use "para" patterns, or Comparaduns' as dshort mentioned. I love the look of traditional patterns and really have no aversion to using them, but I just don't use them very often.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-09-2008, 02:45 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I pretty much tie only parchutes now, mostly for the reasons Davo cited.
They don't tip over if tied poorly as well .
Old 05-09-2008, 08:54 PM

sesro1978 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Mostly use "para" patterns, or Comparaduns' as dshort mentioned. I love the look of traditional patterns and really have no aversion to using them, but I just don't use them very often.
I just started tying comparaduns (haven't had a chance to use them yet...that'll change this weekend) and was wondering if you have any problems floating them? Do you use tons of floatant on the deer hair wing?

~Seth
Old 05-09-2008, 08:59 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road

Para's are my go-to dries most of the time and they're easy to tie. Frankly, tying traditional dries scares the heck out of me. On the subject of tying parachutes, does anyone use one of those "gallows" things, or whatever they're called? If anyone has and likes them and can give me a good source to get one, it would be most appreciated! I'm using a Peak vise and I didn't see anything on their website.

Phil