The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 11:22 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Hardest fly for you to tie.

Since I got my Peak vice back in April my tying has gotten significantly better, causing me to try out all sorts of new flies. I got steadily better at things like deer hair mice and some dry flies. But the two that have truly given me more trouble than anything would be a muddler, I still haven't gotten it down. Also, I worked this evening on an irresistable, The deer hair bodied cousin of the Adams. I finally got him to look ok but the muddler still kills me.

What are the hardest flies you have tried to tie recently... or ever.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Hardest fly for you to tie.

For down east flies the irresistible is probably the hardest I ever tied. For your muddlers try using small bunches of deer hair as opposed to trying to make that nice head in one shot. Spin small bunches and use the thumb and finger nails to press them together tightly to form the head.

Now I tie exclusively for salmon and steelhead trout and the hardest fly I tie is the Santiam Spectrum. You can see a good one and a bad one on the same thread in the Flies For Alaska Salmon and Steelhead thread located in the Flies For Alaska forum threads. Keep working at the muddler and before you know it you'll be knocking out Whitlock Sculpins too.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-25-2010, 11:41 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

other than ants, i hate dry fly tying. i make my trout buddt do them.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't even attempted married wings yet (each left and right wing made up of several colors/strips of quill slips), but I hope to work on them this winter. I typically cheat by tying hairwing versions of those patterns.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:57 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Oddly enough it isn't the deer head that gives me trouble with the muddler. It's the stupid turkey quill slips.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:03 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Lawson's No-Hackle Mayflies are the most difficult for me to get the wings to look like he does it, and I've been tying for more than twenty years...

Kelly.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:32 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Small Humpies.

Plus, split microfibbet tails (2 or 3)
Old 08-26-2010, 10:02 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I was warned when I was young that if I kept it up I'd go blind *

Well I didn't listen and now I have trouble tying anything tiny

*mama said not to sit too close to the TV...... what were YOU thinking ?
Old 08-26-2010, 10:18 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I was warned when I was young that if I kept it up I'd go blind *

Well I didn't listen and now I have trouble tying anything tiny

*mama said not to sit too close to the TV...... what were YOU thinking ?
Man, that does explain a lot - who knew? Even now, current thinking says that what mama said way back then was just a myth, now we know better, don't we?!? Thank goodness for bi-focals

Kelly.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:26 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Upright quill wings, No Hackle quill wings and Married slip quill wings.

I can tie them, but setting them right, applying sufficient tension without splitting them and being satisfied with the results repeatedly is the problem