The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 07:03 PM

jdamin is on a distinguished road
Default Instructional Video

Can anyone recommend a good instructional fly tying video for a beginner like myself?
Old 08-28-2010, 03:19 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Instructional Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamin View Post
Can anyone recommend a good instructional fly tying video for a beginner like myself?
jdamin, you're not getting much response on this. I'm guessing that it's because there are so many fly-specific videos on the net that it's difficult to recommend any particular one for general fly-tying instruction. Obviously, those can be found by Googling. I'm probably wasting your time here, since I also don't have any particular recommendations, but I'd suggest coming back with a query on how to tie a particular fly.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:21 AM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

I really like the videos on Anglers Net, they don't talk you through the steps but they show them really well. Here is the link to their video archives.
Anglers Net - Fly Tying Videos

If they don't have a video you like or want just search the name of the fly into you tube, they usually have good ones.

Cabot
Old 08-28-2010, 08:21 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamin View Post
Take a look at Jack Dennis' library of videos, you might find something to help you there... You might also want to look at some books on the subject. Charlie Craven has a very good one and Randall Kaufman had a very good book on Dry Flies and one on Nymphs.

Dan
Old 08-28-2010, 08:25 AM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

I forgot to post the link to their fly tying 101 section, which really helped me last winter when I was starting out. It is full of just general info for beginners.
Fly Fishing Videos, Fly Tying Videos

Hope that helps,
Cabot
Old 08-28-2010, 11:22 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

When I want to see a tutorial on tying a new fly I just google "How to tie a .......". Then I select the video from the list. Starting it's hard to know what flies you may want so here's a short list of some very popular, and effective ones:
Pheasant Tail nymph
Caddis Pupa
Gold Ribbed Hares Ear
Prince Nymph
Elk Hair Caddis
Adams
Griffiths Gnat
Ant

An example link after I googled "how to tie a pheasant tail nymph":

Last edited by Jimmie; 08-28-2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added link
Old 08-28-2010, 11:48 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

I personally like Davie Mcphail's vids. Not only does he have a broad spectrum of fly types demonstrated but his approach is extreemly "tidy". Following his techniques teaches good habbits that help in tying any fly. Something about his approach helps me relax, stop worrying over elements and just make it happen.

YouTube - DavieMcPhail's Channel
Old 08-28-2010, 12:45 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Davie McPhail's videos are superb!
Old 08-31-2010, 02:08 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

I'd second the recommendation of the Jack Dennis videos, but as mentioned by many others, they are 'pattern specific', not technique specific. That said, every fly is a grouping of techniques, so if there's a set of flies you're looking to learn how to tie, think about what it is about those and find videos that involve those techniques.

If you have the ability to have a computer near where you tie, you may also want to consider some great step-by-step tutorials that don't require you to pause and start, and also give the written instructions for each step. These cover some techniques (how to use biots, tie a parachute, tie a whip finish), a lot of patterns, and have extremely well detailed photography.

t r o u t f l i e s . c o m Harry's a GREAT guy, and he sells some high quality flies at a decent price if you decide to stock your boxes on some patterns you're not quite ready for yet.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:27 PM

patyer is on a distinguished road

I took a class at Orvis to pick up the basics. Stuff like whip finish, holding material, building a fly, etc. If I want to tie a new fly I usually watch a few youtube vids before tying my own. I like to watch a few vids because everyone ties differently and I like to pool the different techniques into something that works for me.