The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 05:45 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Salmon Fly Tie-Along?

GULP!
Old 09-29-2010, 08:14 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Here's a few I whipped up. # 2 is gold dubbing. I put the tinsel on after the palmer to protect the hackle & it was hard not catch the barbles. I only used one coat of SH on the head. I'm not going to post the one I did without a vise. It looks even worse than these.
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:32 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Neil,

I like the combination of the orange body with what looks like a grizzly dyed olive hackle. Ard used the same technique; ribbing after hackling, in order to better protect the hackle stem.

The second tie with the dubbed body has a lot of the body characteristics of what we'll use on the March Brown.

I wouldn't even attempt to think about attempting to tie a fly without a vise!

Allan
Old 09-30-2010, 09:31 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

I still don't have the up eye hooks. I guess I'll just post what I've got and move on...give me a day to get the pic up.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

When I sat down to tie this it became obvious that I don't have a hen pheasant tail. I need to snoop around to see if I have a tail from a cock bird, all I have are a bunch of golden pheasant tails. The problem seems to be finding some sections that will stay together when I bind them down. No doubt the wing will not look like this after I use it. I'm going to make some more and if I get the wings to stay together I'll add another to the post, if not this is what they will look like. Looks like a trout catcher to me............

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Looks like it's going to be turkey wings for me, I have many different shades so I'll make a mixed batch. Allan, the tinsel was a scrap lying on my bench and I thought the copper would be alright with the browns so I strapped it on.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 09-30-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:45 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Ard,

Those are both nice flies. I particularly like the tie with the mottled turkey wing and the reverse ribbing. Chris reverse ribs a lot and I like the effect; a little different from what we right handers usually do; wind the material away from ourselves. I think that the copper rib looks great; it really ties the whole fly together (no pun intended ). I used it on my AMA hairwing fly last winter.

Having said that, I also like the very light effect that you created with the first tie. What is that wing feather? It almost looks like florican, but I guess from your post that it's golden pheasant. I'm also partial to tails on Salmon flies and, for me, wood duck makes an interesting tail each and every time.

The finish on the heads looks professional to me.

Thanks for posting.

Allan
Old 10-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Here's one with a tail;

Allan,

I never realized that I tied two of these without tails. I need to slow down I guess, I just sat down and tied the flies and the one with the reversed rib had such a nice body taper so I took a picture and put it on the thread, When I read your post I went back and looked at the picture and (opps) no tail................. here's another with a tail.

What I notice about the turkey feathers as wings is that when you mount them they leave you with a pretty big stump of fibers to trim off and make it hard to finish with a small head.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 10-01-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:51 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Here is mine with the gp tail, and hen mallard tail
Ard I forgot the tail on the first one too

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 10-01-2010, 06:31 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Not sure about better late than never..and certainly not better than other "grub" ties so far but I'll try and keep up.

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Here's my shot at this next fly...I didn't have Pheasant Hen and you can barely see the rib in the pic but its there and counter wrapped.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Here's one with a tail;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Allan,

I never realized that I tied two of these without tails. I need to slow down I guess, I just sat down and tied the flies and the one with the reversed rib had such a nice body taper so I took a picture and put it on the thread, When I read your post I went back and looked at the picture and (opps) no tail................. here's another with a tail.

What I notice about the turkey feathers as wings is that when you mount them they leave you with a pretty big stump of fibers to trim off and make it hard to finish with a small head.
Ard,

I didn't mean to send you back to the vise for the tail(s) But, I do think that the pattern looks more balanced with a tail on it.

I agree with what you say about the turkey slips; turkey barbs are among the thickest that you'll tie into a winged Salmon fly and hiding the waste ends can be challenging. But, turkey has some very nice colors and it's easy to source (I have a flock that walks through my yard 2-3 times a day!) That's why for mixed wings most tyers are using goose or swan; very pliable and small diameter barbs; also very easy to compress with thread wraps.

Allan

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinselwynNZ View Post
Here is mine with the gp tail, and hen mallard tail
Ard I forgot the tail on the first one too

Chris
Chris,

Thanks for posting your March Brown tie. That GP looks like a hard material to wing with.

I like the mallard hen tail better than what's called for in the original recipe; unbarred wood duck. The striation in the barbs is much stronger than with the duck; goes very well with the body color and the overall look of the fly. I'm going to try that.

By the way, I've been meaning to ask you, are there any fly shops in NZ that carry a cochybondhu wet fly hackle (like a Whiting American cock cape)? If so, I'd be interested in getting one. Thanks.

Allan