The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 08:36 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Salmon Fly Tie-Along?

Well, I'll have to wait a week to tie the winged wet. I'm heading up to the camp in Maine for a week of landlock fishing. I'll post pics when I get back. I'll even try the grub.......
Old 10-01-2010, 08:42 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuramille View Post
Not sure about better late than never..and certainly not better than other "grub" ties so far but I'll try and keep up.

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Here's my shot at this next fly...I didn't have Pheasant Hen and you can barely see the rib in the pic but its there and counter wrapped.

Jonathan,

From way behind to way ahead! I like both of those flies.

It looks like you got a nice even spacing to the hackle on your Grub pattern and a good angle on the barbs. That's not easy to do because the stem turns in your hand as you wind it, and as it turns it places the barbs at slightly different angles relative to either the previous wind or the next wind. It's for that reason that I'm usually using a rotary vise to tie up these patterns; it makes it easier to control the angle of the stem as you wind it onto the body, or more accurately with a rotary, as you wind the body around the hackle.

The March Brown shows a very nice combination of wood duck tail and throat, which provides the balance in the fly that you need to offset the predominant wing element on this pattern.

Allan
Old 10-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

As you all are learning new techniques for fly tying by participating in this thread, don't forget that any fly can be tweaked to suit your own tastes while using most of the same materials and techniques. I like a more streamlined pattern more like the old feather wings I'm used to using for years so I made this change to the pattern to make it a streamer. I will make a few in the traditional feather wing style tonight and post one of them.

Do not be intimidated by these flies, the more familiar you get with the processes the easier the tying will become.

Tweaked; I know. it looks like all my other flies

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-03-2010, 02:50 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Before we leave the Grub patterns behind, I tied up a few others to give you an idea of the variety inherent in this particular type of pattern. From a classification standpoint, any Salmon fly that does not have the traditional featherwing, is a Grub. So, there's a pretty good degree of diversity in this group of flies.

George Kelson; one of the prominent Salmon fly tyers from the second half of the 19th century, the man who is credited with having developed the mixed featherwing (which will show up on the Silver Doctor and Jock Scott patterns that we'll be tying up later), was the originator of many Grub patterns. He said at one point that each featherwing Salmon fly pattern should have its corresponding Grub; so he obviously saw a relationship between the featherwings and the wingless Grubs.

Here's one from J.H. Hale, who wrote a book in 1892 called: How To Tie Salmon Flies: A Treatise On the Modern Methods Of Tying The Various Kinds Of Salmon Flies.

Yellow Caterpillar

Hook: Partridge Bartleet CS10/1, #6
Thread: Danville Flymaster 6/0, white then black
Tag: UTC flat tinsel, silver/gold, mylar, x-sm
Body: Dubbed; mixed Hareline yellow and burnt orange dubbin
Hackle: Whiting American rooster saddle, lt. dun

The rest are all from Tom's book; pages 234-6 in the Appendix.

Silver Partridge

Tail: Golden Pheasant breast feather tip
Body: UTC flat tinsel, silver/gold mylar, med.
Rib: UTC oval tinsel, silver, sm.
Throat: Partridge hackle, freckled brown
Hackle: Whiting American rooster cape, grizzly

Gray Palmer

Tag: UTC flat tinsel, silver/gold, mylar, x-sm.
Body: Peacock herl
Rib: UTC flat tinsel, silver/gold, mylar, med.
Hackle: Whiting American rooster cape, grizzly

One of the common variations to a palmered body Grub is the segmented body; which can be set off in a variety of ways; the two most common being multiple collar hackles and paired feathers. Here they are both ways; tied on slightly larger hooks to accommodate the additional elements.

Glow Worm

Hook: Partridge Bartleet CS10/1, #4
Tag: UTC flat tinsel, silver/gold, mylar, x-sm
Tail: Tuft of scarlet wool
Butt: the pattern calls for cochybondhu, but I didn't have any, so I used Whiting American rooster cape, med. ginger
Body: in two halves; UTC oval tinsel, gold, sm.
Joint: Whiting American rooster cape, med. ginger; larger than the butt
Throat: Whiting American rooster cape, med. ginger; larger than the joint

Spring Grub

Tag: UTC flat tinsel, silver/gold, mylar, x-sm / floss, silver doctor blue
Tail: Goose, paired feathers, scarlet
Butt: Whiting American rooster cape, med. ginger / Whiting CDL, med. pardo
Body: in two halves: rear half - floss, Pearsol's Marabou, lt. yellow; front half - floss, Pearsol's Marabou, black
Rib: in two halves: rear half - floss, black, twisted; front half - UTC oval tinsel, med. silver
Joint: Whiting American rooster cape, silver doctor blue / Whiting CDL, med. pardo
Throat: Whiting American rooster cape, med. ginger / Whiting CDL, med. pardo

Tippet Grub

Thread: Danville Flymaster white then black
Tag: UTC flat tinsel, gold/silver, mylar, x-sm. / Hareline dubbin, scarlet
Butt: Golden Pheasant tippet, wound as a hackle / Whiting American rooster cape, med.ginger
Body: in two halves; each beginning with two runs of UTC oval tinsel, silver, med. / then wool, lt. green
Joint: Golden Pheasant tippet, wound as a hackle / Whiting American rooster cape, med. ginger - both larger than the butt
Throat: Golden Pheasant tippet, wound as a hackle / Whiting American rooster cape, med. ginger - both larger than the joint

Just add paired feathers and you have the other primary variation to the Grub pattern:

Jungle Hornet

Hook: Partridge Bartleet CS10/1, #2
Tag: UTC flat tinsel, silver/gold, x-sm.
Tail: Goose, paired, scarlet / Jungle Cock nails, paired
Butt: Whiting American rooster cape, med. ginger
Body: in two halves - Uni yarn, yellow
Rib: in two halves - UTC oval tinsel, silver, blackened with a Prismatic black marker
Joint: Jungle Cock nails, paired / Whiting American rooster cape, med. ginger; both larger than the butt
Throat: Jungle Cock nails, paired / Whiting American rooster cape, med. ginger; both larger than the joint

That's if for Grub patterns. I hope you get an idea of the diversity that this particular type of pattern can have; depending on what you're trying to achieve in the tie.

Now it's on to the March Brown; a typical strip wing pattern. I know that a few of you rocket tyers are already there with some nice ties. I'll post the step-by-step next week; before the Columbus Day holiday.

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 10-03-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post

Is This it? No I didn't tie it
I think this is just a super tied fly. I like the compact style. Wonderful.

Frank
Old 10-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is my attempt at The March Brown, I had a really hard time getting the wing to look correct. I finally gave up and used some SHHN to get it to stay flat, once dry I tied it in, but I'm sure there must be a better method. Would one of the experts at feather wings please explain the correct procedure? I'm beginning to remember why I like hair wing flies so much when I lived in Alaska! LOL!

Larry
Old 10-03-2010, 09:46 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Here is my attempt at The March Brown, I had a really hard time getting the wing to look correct. I finally gave up and used some SHHN to get it to stay flat, once dry I tied it in, but I'm sure there must be a better method. Would one of the experts at feather wings please explain the correct procedure? I'm beginning to remember why I like hair wing flies so much when I lived in Alaska! LOL!

Larry
It looks good.

I'm sure Pocono will cover how to set the wing when he does the tutorial.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:40 AM

Ard,

I like that down-wing version of the March Brown a very streamlined and well crafted fly. It's hard to beat the natural colors that are one of the characteristics of this pattern. My bet is that it will be a good fish catcher for you!

Larry,

Nice job on that March Brown! I like the symmetry that you got with your wing and the wood duck tail. I also like the use of the flat tinsel for wrapping the body.

Pheasant tail isn't the easiest material to wing with and if Tom hadn't decided to stick to the original recipe, I would have changed the wing material. With pheasant, the attachment of the barbs to each other is nowhere near as tenacious as it is with some other common winging feathers, like mallard, goose or turkey. Cock pheasant tail is even worse than hen tail. So, when you apply pressure to the quills as you begin to tie in the wing, they want to spay apart, which causes the wing barbs to separate and raise up. It's almost like tying with elk hair; which you'd use on the common Elk Hair Caddis pattern, the harder you pull on those first wraps when you tie in the elk hair, the more it splays out (same with spinning deer hair). So, with a feather like pheasant, keep the first wraps fairly light, get the wing positioned where you want it, then tighten them down as you wind the thread forward toward the eye. In other words, you put the real pressure on the pheasant barbs after you've already lightly bound them down to the hook. It's a balance between how tightly the barbs stick together and how much pressure you can put on them. The tighter they stick, the harder you can wind those first couple of wraps; the less tight, the softer it needs to be. Every type of feather works differently.

Compressing the feather by hand before winding it on with the thread also helps. I'll talk about that in the step-by-step. Using a flattened thread also helps, since the smaller the thread diameter, the more it acts like a knife on the wing barbs; which is not what you want.

I think that your paired wood duck tail came out well. Again, not the easiest material to tail with, due to the fact that it is also one of those feathers where the barbs don't stick tightly to each other.

Allen, Ard and any of the rest of you, go ahead and chime in on this topic of mounting feather wings. As I said in my first post on this thread, I'm on a journey; I'm very far from being an instructor.

Allan
Old 10-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Caught Fish on Fly;

Hey,

I did catch two small rainbows on that fly on Saturday afternoon. I left my camera sit in the den and thought about that when I was parking the truck so you gotta take my word on this. The fish were not present like they were in late June and that surprised me since I was looking for indigenous rainbows in a small creek. They are movers and with all the sockeye and silvers that go up this little brook the trout probably follow them. If that is the case I was fishing about 6 miles too far down stream this happens every fall.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:43 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Well I should of had my materials in today. I ordered them a week ago. I just got word that they canceled my order because they couldn't get the hooks in. I am furious. It had the dubbing I needed as well. I did order and get the hen feathers from another place, and they came in today. Kaufmann's Streamborn, Inc.

================================================== ======================

:: Alec Jackson Spey Fly Black Hooks
... (Color: Black, Size: 7)

:: Partridge CS10/1 Hooks
... (Color: Black, Size: 4)

:: Leech Yarn (Mohair)
... (Color: 2. Gray)

:: Rabbit Haretron Dubbing
... (Color: 2. March Brown)

Can anyone tell me who can get me all of these materials without eight dollars shipping? I thought those two hooks would be good to have, and I hope they are the right size. I have Daiichi hooks, but they are size 8. I don't hardly have any of those. I have had a lot going on lately, and didn't even know y'all had been tying the March Brown already. Pocono, those flies were just supreme...some of them were just downright breathtaking.