The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 11:50 AM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Salmon Fly Tie-Along?

Here's my March Brown:

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Yep, the pics are crummy again. The fly looks good in person.

I tried and tried to make the over-wing quill look good by tying it in last, but it would destroy the partridge rump. I finally tied it before the soft hackle, and........success, sort of (not the way it should have been done).

Your tutorials are huge Pocono. Thanks.

Not perfect but improving......................

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Last edited by Jimmie; 10-14-2010 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Hope more clear picture
Old 10-09-2010, 07:04 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

The tutorials and photos of completed flies are a huge help, thanks!

Would still be interested in seeing a video of someone creating and tying on the wings. Does anyone know of a good you-tube video show how to do this?
Old 10-09-2010, 07:06 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Jimmie.

From what I can see [] it looks like a nice tie. What kind of feather did you use for the wing? From the pic it loos like turkey, but I can't tell.

On mounting the wing after the collar, I went back to the step-by-step and found that I didn't say anything about how to work with that situation. So, here's how I do it.

Usually, I separate the collar fibers on the top of the hook and push them down slightly. That gives me a relatively flat surface to work with for the wing. If I'm using hackle that has very stiff fibers (not the case with the Hungarian Partridge), then I take my scissors and cut a couple of barbs off the top of the hook (forming sort of a canyon in the collar that extends right down to the top of the body). Both ways give you a good surface for mounting the wing that doesn't give you problems with the hackle.

Also, when you tie in the wing, the first wrap of thread should be right in front of the hackle; right up against it, but not over it. That should also help with keeping the collar intact.

Pocono
Old 10-09-2010, 12:54 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Jimmie.

From what I can see [] it looks like a nice tie. What kind of feather did you use for the wing? From the pic it loos like turkey, but I can't tell.

Pocono
The feather was in with my pheasant feathers, but I agree that it must be a turkey body feather Pocono. It sure was pretty and seemed to have mottling in the right spots (however, more contrast than a tail feather).
Thank you for your offer to help with my pics.

Jimmie
Old 10-09-2010, 09:54 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

My Off The Hook order arrived today. Everything was there, no backorders! Hurray!!! I was fishing today, and didn't get back to see the package until tonight. I will be attempting the March Brown tomorrow afternoon. I cannot wait to get on this!
Old 10-10-2010, 06:44 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Well I did a couple of the March Browns today. They took me over two hours, and I still am not pleased with them. I put my hen feathers in the freezer. Then I pulled them out to defrost before I tied the flies. After they defrosted the feathers looked horrible. I guess there was too much oil in the feathers. So I just went to get the dang Woolite. I am going to try them again, after I try to salvage these feathers. They look horrid right now. I tied one of the hen feather wings on, it looked good after I tied it. Then after a while I looked at it again, and it wrinkled up again like it was before I straightened it out. The tail gave me the most trouble. You have to have the patience of a saint I think to tie Salmon flies... Well, I hope to do another one tomorrow, and I hope it looks better than these two.
Okay I put the feathers in Woolite at 7pm. I hope they look as amazing as the ones in the photos.

Last edited by kelkay; 10-10-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:51 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly,

I've got to tell you, I'm almost doubled over laughing after reading your post.

This will really make your day, but it's not the Woolite as much as the steaming that gets your feathers to form up well and stay that way. The Woolite cleans up the feathers. So, if you do have oily feathers, then the Woolite should take care of that.

But, the steaming is what really clearns them up.

Feathers have barbs and the barbs have little velcro-like protrusions called barbules (little barbs). What you need to have the feather hold togehter well is good attachment (stickiness) between the barbules of adjacent barbs. The Woolite cleans them up pretty well; for all things that are water soluble and that will dissolve in Woolite. The steaming is like a second clearning, because there can be material on the barbules that the Woolite won't touch. That's where the steam comes in.

So, after you pull them out of the Woolite, let them dry thoroughly. Then put them over a teapot spout (of if you have a portable steamer, use that) and get each feathers so that it's moist, but not drenched from the steam. Move the feather back and forth in the steam so that the steam doesn't damage the feather.

Then use your fingers to smooth the feather into shape while it's still moist. Put it aside to dry and it should not move on you after that.

If you got a nice look when you first tied in the wing, then with the Woolite/steam trick, you should be fine.

Good luck! We hope to see some pics tomorrow.

Pocono

P.S. I'll be doing the same thing tomorrow night, when we get back from Maine. I've got 25 pairs of hen pheasant feathers that are headed for the Woolite!
Old 10-10-2010, 09:59 PM

I had heard of steaming unruly feathers before, but I never actually did it. I used to have a tea pot, but couldn't find it. So I went to K-Mart where I got the Woolite and bought one that luckily was on clearance. (that made me smile) I do drink tea now and then, so this was okay. Thank for you for the explanation you provided. I really thought the feathers weren't bad looking when I got them. I always freeze hair and feathers when I get them though. I imagine you smiled because you probably know exactly what I am talking about. I was so disgusted with my second fly that I threw it in the Woolite bath too. If it comes out cruddy, not a huge loss. The tail was too long on it anyway. Hopefully that "little light" will click on for me now that I know how to do the tail, and the wing. I thought I was slow tying warm water flies.... but these salmon flies take the cake. They are gorgeous, but so time consuming. I am surprised anyone is willing to fish one once they put all the time into making one.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I have the 'Grub' finished finally. I couldn't get my hackle to fold and lay the way I wanted. Sorry for the delay, I'll post a pic tonight.

On to the next one.....

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 10-13-2010, 11:06 AM

Click the image to open in full size.
Well this is my 5th attempt at this fly. I thought it looked pretty good under the tying light last night. Then I took it outside to get some photos. This is a 2421 Daiichi hook, size 6.