The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 01:19 PM

rockymaley is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Salmon Fly Tie-Along?

How do you post a picture?

Rocky
Old 10-25-2010, 01:50 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDun View Post
I've been thinking of buying a jungle cock cape. I know the better capes do not have split nails and the less expensive capes do have split nails. What exactly is a split nail on a jungle cock cape?
Split nails just mean that the nail feather is split. The nail feather is what you use for eyes, it is the reason you buy a jungle cock cape in most cases. I have had good luck with Ebay jungle cock. I bought one over a year ago. The nail feathers are smaller than I want, but there were plenty of unsplit nail feathers. Make sure you look at the pictures good before you purchase. Also, you can fix a nail feather that is split. Unless you are doing show/salmon flies, I would not worry about split nails, especially if you don't have much money to spend, like me.

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

I am having trouble envisioning this. I don't have floss threaders. I use floss, or I use the soft pick by Gum or something like that. Guess I will have to use a search engine.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:30 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Kelkay - here is a photo of a package of floss threaders. They are exactly the same thing that fly shops sell for threading bobbins. I am not sure why people need them to hold floss for flossing their teeth (I can floss my teeth just fine without them), but they sure are helpful for threading bobbins and holding wings for salmon flies!

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymaley View Post

Rocky
Rocky,

One way is to upload your photo to the NAFFF photo gallery:
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ure-nafff.html

Another way is to upload your photos to a storage website, such as Photo Bucket and then copy the image link into your message. My photos are posted on Photo Bucket, although I may start uploading them into the NAFFF gallery.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:49 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Thank you Blue Dun. I must be an idiot because I don't see how that will hold the wing in place...rotfl. Then again I am tired, been out weeding, and I am beat. I hate weeds. I would rather be tying flies. Thanks for the photo. I never use a threader for fly tying, except to push through foam for a popper body to add legs to it.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:00 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymaley View Post

Rocky
Hi Rocky,

I think that the easiest thing to do is to upload your pics to Photobucket and then download them from Photobucket to the NAFFF forum using the copy/paste method. That's how I do all my pics.

Allan

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDun View Post
Hardyreels: Thanks for the explanation and photo - that was very helpful!

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Still trying to find a decent way to photograph flies - thought I would use the dog's blue towel for the blue background, but it turned out to be a bit much! Oh well, at least there wasn't any dog hair in the photo!

Anyway, here is my March Brown. One thing I noticed was that for the way I tied it, I will need to allow for shortened wing length due to compressing the wing when tying it down. I thought I had it hanging just slightly over the bend of the hook, but after I tied in the wing, it turned out to be a tad too short.

Mary,

That is a good looking fly! I like the proportions, nice wing; not too short for my taste. I'd say you've got it!

Ready for the next one?

Allan
Old 10-25-2010, 07:40 PM

I still do not have all my materials in to tie the next one. I have a bunch of stuff coming my way though. I am only going to have one color of hackle though, not two. I will look again through my materials, but one will have to do it. Salmon fly tying is hard on the old pocketbook.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:51 PM

Ok so what are all of you tying right now? I whant to tie along with ya all. These are some examples of my work

Rocky

Old 10-25-2010, 09:58 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

Sweet stuff Rocky. We just finished the March Brown so your right in line. Next up is the parson and black Ranger.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:02 PM

cool i will get 1 tied up. so we are tying 2 the parsons and the black ranger? cool i have some cock of the rock i have been wanting to use
Old 10-25-2010, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Rocky,

You will be able to help our fly tiers with some tips I'm sure. You'll find that most of us are just beginning to tie salmon flies so we may be a bit behind the curve when compared to your tying.

Besides the tying, feel free to look through the threads and help with any other questions that are ask by the members. The more knowledgeable anglers we have here makes the place a good learning tool for our beginning fly fishers.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;