The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 10:35 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Salmon Fly Tie-Along?

What a cool idea! This sounds like a lot of fun and a great chance to improve tying skills! Sign me up, too!
Old 09-06-2010, 06:16 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
There are a few flies I see on here that I would LOVE to tie. I will need to order materials if it is not too much money. Some I will already have on hand probably. So please put materials in advance as much as possible. Nothing gets to me more than ordering, and they say they have it in stock, then they put me on backorder forever. Been there and done that way too many times. Anyway, this does sound like fun, and I cannot wait to get started.
Kelly
Hope I'm not over stepping my bounds but this is where I get my a lot of my tying stuff. He list (usually on the left hand side) how many units of that material he has in stock so you shouldn't run into back order problems.
Marty Howard, Fly Fishing

Allen
Old 09-06-2010, 07:26 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

OK, we've got 14 members in on this tie-along, so far. Let's hope that some others join in as we start tying up these patterns, but for now - let's get going on the first one!

As I said in the original post, the patterns that we'll be tying up come from a book by a Britisher named Thomas Edwin Pryce-Tannatt. Now, that's quite a mouthful, so for ease of reference as we go through the patterns, I'm going to refer to him simply as "Tom". I know that some of you have either sourced this book or are in the process of doing so. If any of the rest of you would like to get a copy, you can purchase it from either Barnes & Nobel or Amazon. The links to each are given below.

How To Dress Salmon Flies, Pryce-Tannatt Thomas Edwin, Book - Barnes & Noble

Amazon.com: How to Dress Salmon Flies: A Handbook for Amateurs (9781110358939): Pryce-Tannatt, Thomas Edwin: Books Amazon.com: How to Dress Salmon Flies: A Handbook for Amateurs (9781110358939): Pryce-Tannatt, Thomas Edwin: Books

In addition, I sourced the book at a somewhat less expensive price from an organization called BiblioLife, LLC. If you can find their site (I'm having a little trouble re-finding it), you can probably also source a copy from them.

The first pattern is given in Chapter VIII of Tom's book and is referred to as a "grub"; a wingless, tailess pattern that is a good one to get started on. The materials that you'll need are listed below:

Grub Pattern

1. Hook: Salmon Fly hook; sourced from one of the below; or sourced from whatever hook supplier you prefer. If some of you have other types of Salmon hooks that you prefer to use then go ahead and post them and give the source that you use (thanks).

I'm going to tie most of the patterns with a #6 hook, simply because it's large enough to work with fairly easily and it's not difficult to source feathers that will fit nicely on a hook that size. I also tie on #4s and #8s, and less frequently on #2s and #10s. So, you can suit yourself on hook sizes, but I'm going to be concentrating, primarily, on #6s. The hook that I like best is the Partridge Bartleet CS10/1. It's shown in the below link:

Partridge Hooks

Mustad also makes Salmon Fly hooks:

Mustad 36890 Salmon Fly Hooks

As does Gamakatsu:

Fly Hook, Traditional Series

And, there are others:

Creekside Flyfishing - Atlantic Salmon Fly Tying Materials

So, don't feel limited or constrained. Get the hooks that you like; the ones that you think you'll be happy tying these patterns on.

Besides the hook, the rest of the materials are:

2. Thread: I recommend Danville FlyMaster 6/0. It's a thread that's easy to flatten and flattening thread is something that you're going to want to do as you ties up these patterns. Fully dressed Salmon Flies have so many materials on them that "bulk" can become an issue. Using a thread that you can flatten before tying in materials will help you reduce this bulk and keep it under control. I recommend getting one spool of white and one spool of black.

3. Tinsel: Silver Oval Tinsel. I recommend Uni's Oval Tinsel, but there are many other providers. Your choice. For these patterns, I would use either a small tinsel or a medium tinsel; depending on the look that you want/like. Perhaps one of each wouldn't hurt.

4. Hackle: You want a cock hackle; usually a cock neck/cape. You also want one that has a reasonable taper to the feather; narrow at the tip and considerably broader at the base. I like Whiting's American rooster cape. It's not bad to work with and it comes in a wide variety of colors. You can use any color you want; I plan to use black because it sets off well against the body (red) and it's easy to see in its contrast to the body and the tinsel. If anyone else has other suggestions on hackle, then please go ahead and offer them up (thanks).

5. Body: You can either dub the body using something like a seal's fur substitute, or you can use a thin yarn. The book calls for scarlet dubbed seal's fur (we'd use a seal fur sub.). I'm going use a red yarn, like the one that's sold by Uni (Uni yarn)

And that's it for materials for the first pattern. Here they are again, in short summary:

1. Hook
2. Thread
3. Tinsel
4. Hackle
5. Body; dubbing or yarn

You can source a lot of the above materials from most of the large fly tying materials houses, like Cabelas, etc. I routinely, use the below supplier, with good success:

Bearlodge Angler- Online Shopping for Fly Tying, Materials and Supplies, Worland Wyoming

Wovenstonefly (Allen) has also posted on one of the sources that he uses for materials. He has alot of experience with Salmon Fly patterns, so I think you'll find that his source is a very good one.

As we get further into the later patterns, you're going to see a variety of materials and feathers that will be more exotic than the ones in this first pattern. You should take a look at some of what's available. The links below will help. John McLain at FeathersMC is a great guy and a good source of Salmon Fly tying materials:

Feathersmc.com: Home

Phil Castleman is another good source; he's been in the business since the 1950's:

Fly Tying Feathers, Furs and Equipment. Everything for Classic Salmon Fly Tying.

Jens Pilgaard is also a very good and comprehensive supplier of salmon fly tying materials. Don't be put off by the fact that he's located in Denmark. His service is good and it's quick:

Fugl & Fjer Flytying, English version

I also like Steve Cook at Cookshill in the UK. Again, it's outside of the US, but Steve is exceptional at working with customers to be sure that they get what they want/need:

Cookshill Fly Tying Materials

So, there's the list of materials for the first pattern.

Let's give everyone about 2 weeks to source these materials and then start tying up this pattern around September 20th.

Everyone should feel comfortable commenting freely and frequently as we tie up these patterns; and, of course, both before and after. As Ard said earilier in this thread, we all have something to learn.

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 09-07-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:40 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

This looks like a good learning experience. Please count me in.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:40 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Pocono, I must be a blooming idiot, if that has the recipe on it. I see you need salmon hooks. What I don't see is sizes etc... Can you give a more detailed material list for me? Sorry to be a pain but I have to know about what size I need, and colors, especially since I don't have the book.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:01 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Kelkay, nope, I just tend to ramble a little when I write. I'm going to be using a #6 hook.

The specifics of what I'll use to tie up this first pattern are:

1. Hook: Partridge Bartleet CS10/1; #6
2. Thread: Danville Flymaster 6/0; one spool each of white and black
3. Rib: Uni-French oval tinsel, silver, either small or medium (another option is UTC's French Tinsel, oval silver, either small or medium)
4. Body: Uni yarn, red
5. Hackle: Whiting American rooster cape, black

I left it a little open on materials because you can tie up this pattern in several different ways and in whatever colors you want. But those are the materials that I'll be using.

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 09-08-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:29 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Whew that was a sigh of relief. I will have to look up what this uni-yarn is, guess I have never seen it. Thanks so much.
Kelly
Old 09-08-2010, 11:49 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

read the book here
How to dress salmon flies : a handbook for amateurs
Old 09-08-2010, 12:01 PM

Oh my, thank you so much for that. I really like the book, I glanced over it. I like it so much I will see if I can find a used copy of it. Thank you!!

Well I could not find a used copy. So I just bought one. It looks like a good book, and I am a little intimidated by some of the patterns I saw...lol. Well, let's hope that I can do the patterns some kind of justice.

Last edited by kelkay; 09-08-2010 at 12:25 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09-08-2010, 03:40 PM

Can someone tell me what page the Grub Pattern fly is on? I am trying to see via the link provided, but cannot find a picture of the actual fly. I have a small assortment of black feathers, or dark...but probably not the quality needed on a salmon fly. Most of my good feathers are grizzly.