The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 11:56 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Salmon Fly Tie-Along?

These are loaded with imperfections. The first fly is the Black Ranger. The second is a mixture of the Lady Amherst, and the Dandy...sort of. I was just playing around trying to get some practice in. As you can tell, I am really not ready to progress at this point, until I have practiced more.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Actually they look pretty good to me Kelly. You need to keep something in perspective when tying these. The flies that were tied 100 years ago were no where near the level of perfection people are striving for today. there were many reasons for this, one being the lack of the high tech threads, tinsels, and flosses we have today. Another thing to remember, there was no internet for posting photos, digital cameras, etc. No one knew that their flies were not perfect unless they traveled to some major fishing conclave to meet and to see the flies tied by the master tiers of the day.

So instead of comparing your work to an example that appearers to be much better you should appreciate the craftsmanship that is displayed in the work you have done. They look well constructed as far as being durable and that is the bottom line when it comes to a fishing lure. I think you are doing well and as I've said before you are just starting at this and are doing well.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-16-2010, 01:21 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Thank you for your thoughts Ard. Yes, they would make pretty good fishing flies. I sent them to a lady in the mail today. She sent me some parrot feathers, although not quite the right kind, but still, she was thoughtful. I told her I would send her some of my work. She plans to give them to her brother in law. He is not a fly fisher, so he might enjoy them anyway. (probably a good thing) I dropped a hint that I could use small, brightly colored feathers...so maybe she will send more. She sent some wing feathers, and I have not found a good use for them yet. They may work for a streamer, I am not sure. I have a background in warm water flies. If she sends me more feathers, I could probably use them in salmon flies for tags, or cheeks. (for warm or salmon flies) I appreciate your reply.
Kelly
Old 12-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Kelly,

Any time someone is striving for perfection their work will always have flaws to them. No one will be as critical about your tying as you will be yourself. That Is how we reach near perfection. I suggest the next time you tie one of these flies study the photo and note everything you see wrong. Then try to correct those issues with the next fly. Do that several times and eventually those flaws with disappear. Even when you tie an absolutely perfect fly to everyone else, you will still find some fault.

I think those two flies are very good and especially the second one. Good photos too.

Frank
Old 12-16-2010, 07:29 PM

Thank you Frank for your kind words. I didn't want to post the Black Ranger it was so bad, in my eyes. But I figured, you have to start somewhere. Maybe this will give others incentive to post their flies after they have seen mine...rotfl. This Salmon fly tying is tough. I mailed off for a book with dvd, that hopefully will help me out a little more. (birthday present to myself) I am not giving up yet. I am too hard headed for that. Besides, even if they aren't great, they are kind of pretty if you don't know what the original looked like...but everyone has to start somewhere. I guess double pair wings aren't my thing, at least not yet. Seeing photos does not seem so hard, till you do it yourself. Still they would make fine fishing flies regardless. I want Allan to think that he didn't waste his time with the awesome tutorials. I am going to tie some more for practice.

Last edited by kelkay; 12-16-2010 at 07:31 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12-18-2010, 05:41 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly,

Congratulations on those two flies! They're not easy to tie; in fact, I think that whole wing Salmon fly patterns are harder to tie up than the strip wing patterns; including the married strip wings that we'll be heading into next. At least they are for me.

I agree with what Ard had to say and, of course, with Frank; we're always our own worst critics, which in the end is a good thing because it keeps us moving toward getting better.

Keep it up, we're getting close to the end now; really just two challenging patterns left to tie up, because the final two after that; the Spey and the Dee patterns, are much simpler than the whole wing patterns (Black Ranger), the married wing patterns (Silver Doctor) and the built wing patterns (Jock Scott).

Good for you!

Pocono
Old 12-18-2010, 09:48 AM

Thank you Allan. I am going to have to do some more practicing. I appreciate the comments. I tied them on a 2/0 Daiichi hook 2441. I did not want to waste the other hooks that I have like you mentioned. The first Black Ranger was on that Partridge hook. It was horrible. So I decided to practice with the 2441 hook. I will get the salmon book probably close to Christmas, or right after. I need it now though. Thanks for the comments.
Kelly
Old 12-19-2010, 09:29 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Great looking stuff guys, I have the parsons done and had to check which materials were use on the wing for the ranger, Ill try and post them both tonight

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 12-21-2010, 05:56 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Bring 'em on, Chris; we're ready!

The step-by-step for the next pattern, the Silver Nurse, comes out sometime between Christmas and New Years.

Allan
Old 12-21-2010, 06:51 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

The parsons

The ranger

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD