The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 05:55 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salmon Fly Tie-Along?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
Neil,

That is such a huge help!

I had no idea that you could read the book online (I might have saved my self some money if I had ). This will make it easy for everyone in this tie-along to follow along with these pattern.

All,

If you have not already clicked on the link in FISHN50's post, then please do.

Thanks,

Pocono

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
Can someone tell me what page the Grub Pattern fly is on? I am trying to see via the link provided, but cannot find a picture of the actual fly. I have a small assortment of black feathers, or dark...but probably not the quality needed on a salmon fly. Most of my good feathers are grizzly.
Kelly,

Tom doesn't show a close-up of the finished grub pattern, but you can find a pretty good approximation of it on p.114; Figure 39 (page numbers are at the top of the page, not the bottom).

Don't be put off by the head in the picture (Figure 38), he tied all his flies on eyeless hooks; the eyes were actually made from gut; tied onto the blind eye hooks. Purists still use this method, but I use hooks with eyes instead; and the results are, I think, very reasonable. If you want to be a purist, then read chapter VII; where you'll learn how to tie on gut eyes.

Pocono
Old 09-08-2010, 11:33 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

There are a few sites that may be of help for certain techniques on tying on different materials. I found these three very helpful in the past & there are many others out there in the dark corners of the web

FlyTyingForAll :: Home

Classic Fly Tying -> Classic and Artistic Salmon Fly Tying

"Tying Atlantic Salmon and Spey Flies, Instruction - Cheap Atlantics, Fly Angler's OnLine "

Check them out. On the first one go to the free videos & ck out making the Jock Scott. There are some good tips in the video. I realize it's a teaser but it's worth watching.
The classic forum is just a great site for Salmon Fly or Streamer Fly tying info
The third one is a site that also has a lot of tying info
Old 09-09-2010, 04:47 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

More good sites! Thanks Neil.

Pocono
Old 09-09-2010, 07:52 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the page reference, and links.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:48 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Thanks for the link to the on-line version of the book..

Dan
Old 09-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

LOL!! I ordered my copy last night.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-09-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh' View Post
LOL!! I ordered my copy last night.

........maybe we're related! That's a Pocono story, if I ever heard one.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:52 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
There are a few sites that may be of help for certain techniques on tying on different materials. I found these three very helpful in the past & there are many others out there in the dark corners of the web

FlyTyingForAll :: Home

Classic Fly Tying -> Classic and Artistic Salmon Fly Tying

"Tying Atlantic Salmon and Spey Flies, Instruction - Cheap Atlantics, Fly Angler's OnLine "

Check them out. On the first one go to the free videos & ck out making the Jock Scott. There are some good tips in the video. I realize it's a teaser but it's worth watching.
The classic forum is just a great site for Salmon Fly or Streamer Fly tying info
The third one is a site that also has a lot of tying info
Neil, I have found Ronn Lucas' tutiorals to be very good and he offers some good advice

Thanks for the online book

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 09-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
........maybe we're related! That's a Pocono story, if I ever heard one.
It's alright....I like books.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-10-2010, 04:10 PM

cicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to behold

-can be better..

Click the image to open in full size.