The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 06:54 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Salmon Fly Tie-Along?

Well, I got the easy part done. I am ready to put on the blue hackle.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:17 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Sigh...........have gotten way behind due to work, etc... I started the Silver Nurse (half-way thru the body I realized that i have not yet tried the Black Ranger, oh well, I'll get to that one)....anyway, am struggling with the tippet barbs - how do you manage to cut 1/4" up the stem without slicing into the barbs(?) don't know the names of the parts of the feather? Anyway, I have wasted a bunch of feathers now b/c they crumble into single barbs b/c there is little-to-no stem holding them together. I have tried various sharp scissors of different sizes - doesn't seem to matter. I moved on and tied some onto the hook just so I could keep going to try to catch up to you guys, but it looks really bad - feather barbs splayed in all directions! help!

edit: never mind! I just figured out what to do - you weren't using the part you trimmed off, you trimmed the tippet so it would lay properly on the shank and to make it easier to tie on the tippet - guess I need to take my time instead of rushing! (except that I may not have time to get back to this until next weekend.)
Old 01-17-2011, 01:15 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Mary,

That's right. Have a look at what Allen (Wovenstonefly) posted on p. 40; 1st pic. that will show you how to handle and mount the GP underwing.

I'll be in Europe from tonight through Friday; back on Saturday.

I'm askiing Ard to watch the thread while I'm gone and reply to any questions that come up. Thanks Ard.

Good luck with your Silver Nurse pattern!

Allan
Old 01-17-2011, 05:03 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Well I had the underwing done, and the hackle. That went "just okay, not too badly"...then I did the married wings...once again the wings aren't long enough. They actually tied in this time without falling apart. But then I tried to marry wood duck, and a flank feather...tied it in and it didn't hold. I am taking a break. This Salmon fly tying can be absolutely maddening...lol. I said a few choice words when things started to go downhill. I need some decent colored feathers like goose or turkey....I guess mine are just too short. I used a peacock wing for the underwing...on top of the GP tippet. What is the preference...goose or turkey? I thought a size 1 hook might work, but it won't. At least I am getting some practice...but at least y'all know I have been working on this...
Old 01-22-2011, 06:05 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly,

Just back from France, for what may well be the last time!

I'd go for some larger dyed Goose. I know I'm going to get a PM from you on this one, but I'd try FeathersMC. Don't call, just order online off their website. You should have your feathers in about a week; I always do.

Another alternative, I'll be at the NJ Fly Fishing Show tomorrow. John and Gerry (FeathersMC) will be there; I think. If not, then Jens Pilgaard will probably be there. If you want, I'll pick up what you need and will send it along to you. That will also give you your feathers in about a week. And they should be OK for a 1/0 hook.

I still owe Chris some Bustard, so I could get everything out at the same time; end of day on Sunday.

Let me know what you need. My mark-up is usually below 100%

Allan
Old 01-25-2011, 06:52 PM

Sorry for being slow posting the wing for the Silver Doctor pattern; there's been alot going on lately and it's preempted my fly tying activities. I'll have some time to get to the wing this weekend.

I was at the Somerset, NJ Fly Fishing Show last weekend and picked up some really nice dyed Turkey from Jens Pilgaard (Denmark) which I plan to use in my Sliver Doctor Wing (and probably in the wing of the Jock Scott after the SD). It's interesting how different lots of dyed Turkey can look so different. I've seen them almost completely bleached out and I've seen them very vivid. Jens were a nice blend of deep color without a totally opaque look.

I should have the SD photo step-by-step up and posted by the end of the day on Sunday (or at least, that's the goal!).

Allan

Last edited by Pocono; 01-26-2011 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:34 PM

No problem Allan. I look forward to seeing the rest of the fly.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:33 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Don't worry about it Allan! Now I don 't feel quite as bad about having trouble keeping up. I am also far busier than anticipated.....
Old 01-30-2011, 07:33 PM

Silver Doctor - Step-by-Step - The Wing

Well, it’s not exactly a couple of days later; more like a couple of weeks later, but there’s been a lot going on lately and better late than never! So, here’s the step-by-step for the wing on the Silver Doctor pattern.

1. The first two steps make up the sub-wing. Take two Golden Pheasant tippets from opposite sides of the neck, pair them up, strip the barbs from the top and cut the back at a slant by cutting through the stem. Then, mount them and tie them onto the body using 5 flattened wraps.

Click the image to open in full size.

2. Take a pair of Golden Pheasant tail feathers, select matching strips from one left-side feather and one right-side feather, cut out about ¼” from each strip (keep the stem attached to each side), pair them up and mount them “tented” on top of the Golden Pheasant tippets. Tie in the tail sections with 4-5 flattened wraps.

3. The next few steps make up the primary married wing. There are several ways to make a married wing for the Silver doctor pattern; depending on whose pattern recipe you follow. Tom used what I consider to be the most complex way for this married wing; he used single barbs from 6 different feathers and duplicated them; ending up with 12 barbs in each wing “sheath”, which is what each side of the married wing is sometimes called. This is also known as Kelson’s married wing technique. Here are the feathers that you need to tie this married wing to Tom’s recipe:

Kori Bustard
Florican Bustard (usually a substitute; most often double-dyed white Turkey tail)
White Turkey dyed Silver Doctor Blue (or any light blue)
White Turkey dyed Red
White Turkey dyed Yellow
Cinnamon Turkey

This is also the order in which the individual barbs are married; top to bottom.

I use strips that are about 5-6 barbs wide. Be sure that you take feather strips from the same side of each feather type; to form first the right side sheath, then the left side sheath (the order in which you form them isn’t important, but it is important to be sure that your feather strips are all from the same side of the feather).

4. Tom stripped off individual barbs from each feather and married them between his fingers and thumb. I don’t have the dexterity to do this, so I’m using the method that Mike Radencich teaches; which is to marry the strips to each other and then reduce one of the strips to a single barb using your bodkin. Here’s the first two strips married; the Kori Bustard is on top and the Florican Bustard substitute is on the bottom.

5. Once they’re married, then use your bodkin to separate all but one Florican barb from the Kori strip; like this:

6. After you’re separated the married Florican strip with the bodkin, your wing will look like this; with the Kori Bustard strip on the top and the single Florican barb underneath it:

7. Next, marry the dyed blue Turkey to the single barb of Florican Bustard. Then, use the bodkin again to separate all but one blue barb from the married wing. Next do the same thing for the dyed red Turkey, then the dyed yellow Turkey, and finally the cinnamon Turkey. When you have those 5 different barbs married to the Kori strip, then repeat the entire process, by adding another 6 barbs below the cinnamon Turkey barb. When you’re all done, go back to the top and use your bodkin to separate all but one barb of Kori Bustard from the first strip. After you’re done with that, your married wing “sheath” will look like this:

8. Now, do exactly the same thing with feather strips from the other side of the 6 different feathers. In the end, you’ll have two married feather sheaths, like the below (shown upside down vs. the way that you'll tie them in):

9. Now, pair the married wings just the same way that you did with the strip wings for the March Brown pattern. [Note: a married wing is just an elaborate version of a simple strip wing; with the married wing you re-assemble the barbs back into a strip wing.] Once they’re paired, “tent” them over the Golden Pheasant underwing and tie them in with 5 flattened wraps.

10. Now you’re ready to make up the cheeks; which for this pattern calls for barred Summer Duck (Wood Duck) married to Pintail Duck. I tried marrying the Pintail to the Summer Duck and it didn’t work for me; not at all. So, I left off the Pintail and simply made my cheeks from paired strips of barred Wood Duck. Tie them in at the side of the hook and wing with 4 flattened wraps.

11. The final pair of feathers is the Mallard “roof”; the protective covering for the married wing. This is made from matched strips of Bronze Mallard (the same as what you’ll use on the Spey pattern); about ¼” wide, tied in at the side of the wing with 4-5 flattened wraps.

12. Next, add a Golden Pheasant topping as you did for the last couple of patterns (Black Ranger and Silver Nurse).

13. Finally, put a drop of dilute glue (I use Zap-a Gap, thin) on your bodkin and put it onto the wraps that hold the wing assembly together. [Note: if you’re careful, you can put a small drop of dilute glue on your wraps after each major addition to the wing; this helps keep the materials in place, but it’s not by any means traditional.] Then, holding your wing materials between your left thumb and forefinger, trim up the waste ends, finish the head with thread, dub some more red wool onto your thread and finish the head the same way that you formed the butt. The wool dubbing gives a big-headed fly, but the pattern calls for the wool head.

And that’s it! You’ve just tied up James Wright’s famous Silver Doctor pattern.

As always, post or PM me with any questions or comments that you have.

Allan

Last edited by Pocono; 03-25-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Great job on that wing and a wonderful step by step Allan!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;