The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 04:57 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salmon Fly Tie-Along?

Thanks Ard. I was just happy that the wing didn't explode on me when I tied it in. As you know, they can take some time to assemble.

I found that dyed Turkey marries a lot better to Bustard than dyed Goose shoulder does; probably because the barbs on the Turkey and Bustard feathers are more similar in size. Turkey to Turkey marries very well and on this pattern, essentially outside of the Bustard, it's a Turkey barb wing.

I think, if you got a very light mottled Turkey feather(s), you could probably substitute it for the Kori Bustard and then you'd have a nice tight all-Turkey married wing.

Allan
Old 01-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I will not be jumping on this pattern right away because I have several irons in the fire at this time but will tie one up in the spirit of keeping with your thread. You are doing a great job with this and I know how much time and effort you have dedicated to providing the step by step class.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-31-2011, 08:37 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Thanks Ard. I was just happy that the wing didn't explode on me when I tied it in. As you know, they can take some time to assemble.

I found that dyed Turkey marries a lot better to Bustard than dyed Goose shoulder does; probably because the barbs on the Turkey and Bustard feathers are more similar in size. Turkey to Turkey marries very well and on this pattern, essentially outside of the Bustard, it's a Turkey barb wing.

I think, if you got a very light mottled Turkey feather(s), you could probably substitute it for the Kori Bustard and then you'd have a nice tight all-Turkey married wing.

Allan
EXCELLENT TUTORIAL Allen!!!
That is an idea. I bought some peacock wing feathers as subs too. I have a few different kinds of turkey. I am going to be subbing like crazy in the future. I hate to waste money on expensive feathers just learning this stuff though. But the cruddy feathers are too short, or don't marry well, so there ya go. It can be frustrating. I have been busy the past two days, so I haven't tied anything new. I am trying to decide if I will take the wing off the Silver Doctor, and keep the body, or if I will just redo the whole thing. The body looked pleasing, so I hate to lose that. I have turkey in different colors now, in the freezer. Just waiting on the freezer to do it's thing on any little critters that may of gotten to them in the mail. I got my AmGold feathers out of the freezer. They did not like being frozen. So I washed them, and steamed them. It helped. But now I think they are too short. It was supposed to be tail feathers, but it couldn't have been a very big AmGold. I hope they will work. I got them on Ebay. I see Feathers Emporium has AmGold with a sweet price on them...lol. But I don't know if you get one, or two feathers. Maybe in the future I will try them out. I like the tiger pattern side tail feathers. Really nice markings.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:17 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
EXCELLENT TUTORIAL Allen!!!
That is an idea. I bought some peacock wing feathers as subs too. I have a few different kinds of turkey. I am going to be subbing like crazy in the future. I hate to waste money on expensive feathers just learning this stuff though. But the cruddy feathers are too short, or don't marry well, so there ya go. It can be frustrating. I have been busy the past two days, so I haven't tied anything new. I am trying to decide if I will take the wing off the Silver Doctor, and keep the body, or if I will just redo the whole thing. The body looked pleasing, so I hate to lose that. I have turkey in different colors now, in the freezer. Just waiting on the freezer to do it's thing on any little critters that may of gotten to them in the mail. I got my AmGold feathers out of the freezer. They did not like being frozen. So I washed them, and steamed them. It helped. But now I think they are too short. It was supposed to be tail feathers, but it couldn't have been a very big AmGold. I hope they will work. I got them on Ebay. I see Feathers Emporium has AmGold with a sweet price on them...lol. But I don't know if you get one, or two feathers. Maybe in the future I will try them out. I like the tiger pattern side tail feathers. Really nice markings.
Kelly,

Glad you liked the tut.

I have no experience with putting feathers in a freezer, but I'd be concerned that the ice that could form on them (if there's any moisture at all on the feathers when you put them in the fridge), would damage the micro-barbs that are the key to marrying feathers. I'd take the feathers that you plan to marry out of the fridge.

At this point, I could re-populate the entire avian fauna of the Brazilian Amazon with the feathers that I have and, so far, no infestations of any kind.

Just a thought.

Allan
Old 02-01-2011, 03:23 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Allan, you got me worried about that, so I pulled them out of the freezer. I always freezer fur and feathers once they get here. But if there is a chance these won't marry, I will take a risk. These particular feathers should be fine. There are some that are iffy when they get here though. I just have a habit of freezing. I could not replace some of this stuff. A lot was given to me, but I have spent too much to let them go down the drain. I would be severly depressed if my feathers got bugs in them. I will know soon enough how they do. We may be losing power today. The wind, snow, sleet, and all that good stuff is hitting us. Severe thunderstorms this morning, means ice tonight. It was 26 degrees out a while ago with wind chill of 15. It will be colder tonight. We are not used to this kind of weather in Texas. Ice here can mean days without electricity, and most people heat their homes with electricity. Keep your fingers crossed. They say tomorrow will be worse. Whew, I hope not.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:58 PM

Kelly,

I'd take the dyed turkey and bustard out of the freezer.

Just going through the dying process is going to give you pretty good assurance that there are no insects that have survived and are alive and well living in the feathers. If the bustard came from John, then it's been washed in Woolite anyway. The way that they collect Bustard (the way that they're permitted to collect Bustard by law) is to pick up the feathers that are dropped from the the native birds. These are almost always washed locally before they're shipped anywhere else.

Go ahead - live on the wild side!

Pocono
Old 02-01-2011, 06:04 PM

The Kori Bustard came from Castle Arms. It was taken out of the freezer long ago. The turkey was taken out of the freezer this morning after I read your post. :-)
Old 02-01-2011, 06:09 PM

OK - I have a friend that works for Orkin....................just in case!

Allan
Old 02-01-2011, 06:30 PM

Considering where these dyed turkey feathers came from, I should be safe. They were in the freezer for 2 days though. If I need an Orkin man, it is all over. It is 23 but feels like 11 outside with the wind chill, and it's still dropping. I have some duck feathers somebody gave me out there, that were not dried before they sent them to me. I covered them in borax. Any critters are probably frozen. They are going to get a bath, and redried before I will even bring them in my house.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:34 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Hey Allen,

I'de love to jump in on the Dee when you get to it. My materials are at an all time low right now so I'm on hold for a bit but I'm looking forward to giving it shot with you guys.
Bill