The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 05:09 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salmon Fly Tie-Along?

Bill,

You're more than welcome to join in; glad to have you along!

The Dee pattern will probably be coming up in mid-March,or thereabouts. Just keep an eye on the thread and when I post the materials list for the Dee pattern, you can check your materials, see what's missing and source it.

Aw.......what the heck.............here's a preview on the materials:

The pattern that we'll be tying up is an old one; called the Jock O'Dee

Materials are:

Hook - Dee iron / anywhere from 1 1/2"-3" long
Tag - Silver tinsel, oval
Tail- GP topping / Indian crow sub
Body - 2/5's lemon floss / 3/5's black floss
Rib - Silver tinsel, flat / silver twist
Hackle - Gray heron sub
Throat - Widgeon flank
Wings - Cinnamon turkey

Pocono
Old 02-02-2011, 10:42 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Awesome!!!! Thank you Sir!
Old 02-05-2011, 12:31 AM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

I didn't realize I forgot the wood duck until I looked at the picture on the computer. Oh well.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:02 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Nice looking fly, Allen!

Body, hackle and married wing all look great to me. I also like the way that you finished off the head with the collar ring of wool and the front of the head tied with thread.

Did you use dyed Turkey for the married wing?

Allan
Old 02-05-2011, 08:35 AM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

Glad you like it. No I used goose for the wing. It's Tied on a AJ #3. size 3 and smaller I can usually get away with goose.

But I would like to pick up some turkey, where did you get yours?
Old 02-05-2011, 10:02 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Allen that fly looks very good to me, you did a wonderful job!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:16 PM

Well, we still have some Silver Doctor flies out there that will, hopefully, find their way into this thread, and I may be jumping the gun a little, but since I'm going to be away for awhile, I wanted to go ahead and post the recipe for the next fly, the Jock Scott.

This fly is a big step and I'll try to do a step-by-step on it if it comes out anywhere near reasonable...........but there's no guarantee. So, you could be on your own for this one.

This pattern is acknowledged by some as the "Mt Everest" of Atlantic Salmon flies. This is a built wing fly that is only slightly more famous for its ability to take Salmon than it is for its being a challenging pattern to tie up. Here's a little history on this pattern:

A Hot Half Hour - The Jock Scott, from the Scotsman 17th November 1926 by Rev William McCallum.

We join the Reverend just before lunch on a cold November day on Tweed, the Wilkinson had been the fly in use and no fish had been caught:

“Laying the rod on the benty grass, one crunched one’s way to the top of the bank. A heron was spreading his wide wings on the air; wild duck with outstretched necks were coming at high speed down the river. Someone was near. Perhaps he was a skilful angler who had lured a fish and could name the taking fly. In this hope one trudged up with crickling tread beside troubled waters and behold no man, but across the foam, swirling among the rocks at the lower end of Makerstoun one saw a storied house half-hidden by trees that still kept their red and orange, and the “Jock Scott” darted into the mind. For in that cottage Lord John Scott’s fisherman of like name first busked the famous fly.

The date of its birth in 1850. In that year Lord John Scott rented Makerstoun water from Sir Thomas Makdougall Brisbane, laird of Makerstoun at the time. Tho’ autumn was disappointing, there were fish, but anglers could not catch them. The fisherman set himself to devise something new; the result was the Jock Scott, which Kelson has pronounced “the acknowledged king of built-wing flies, fit to reign over his own large circle of admirers.”

No one taught the inventor the art he enriched. When a boy just into his teens he began work at Monteviot and with a spare half-crown be bought an Irish fly, which he carefully stripped, and dressed again. Afterwards a gentleman on his return from the East gave him feathers of the Indian crow, jungle cock, and macaw, which are among the twenty-seven items that make up the. Though like nothing in Nature, the markings of the Red Admiral butterfly suggested to his mind the use of jungle cock for the sides of the fly, while for the head he took the hair of his beard, which was black, as he was then but three and thirty years of age. After trying it on the sporting pools of Makerstoun, he gave a pattern to the Duke of Roxburghe and to Mr. Forrest, Kelso, who, being successful with it, christened it “Jock Scott.” Perhaps it was the fact of the busker’s beard being in the fly that led Mr. Forrest to give it his name. At any rate, when the Duchess of Roxburghe heard that it was with a fly dressed with the hair of the Makerstoun fisherman’s beard that His Grace was catching salmon, she drove up to see the inventor and inquire of him the as to the truth of the story.

So, there you have it - a little bit of Scottish fly fishing history. Now, on to the Jock Scott recipe:

Hook: Blind eye or Partridge Bartleet CS10/1, #1-5/0
Thread: Danville FlyMaster, white and black
Tag: tinsel, silver, flat
Tail: Golden Pheasant topping / Indian Crow sub.
Butt: Ostrich herl, black
Body: Back half - golden yellow floss / front half - black floss / veiled with Toucan sub. - 6 above and 6 below
Rib: Tinsel, oval, silver, fine on the yellow floss / tinsel, flat, silver and silver twist on the black floss
Hackle: Rooster neck, black
Throat: Guinea Fowl
Underwing: White-tipped Turkey tail; paired
Married wing: Peacock wing / Turkey, yellow / Turkey, scarlet / Turkey, blue / Kori Bustard / Florican Bustard / Golden Pheasant tail - from bottom to top, in that order. Then two strands of Peacock sword above the married wing
Roof: Mallard
Secondary sides: Teal and Barred Wood Duck, married together
Sides: Jungle Cock
Cheeks: Blue Chatterer sub.
Topping: Golden Pheasant topping

That's it. There are a lot of materials in this pattern. Take the next 2 weeks to source your materials and I'll plan to get started on at least the body, the week of Feb. 21st.

This will be quite a ride!

Allan

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wovenstonefly View Post
Glad you like it. No I used goose for the wing. It's Tied on a AJ #3. size 3 and smaller I can usually get away with goose.

But I would like to pick up some turkey, where did you get yours?
Allen, I get my dyed Turkey from one of two places. The first is in the US. It comes from John McLain at FeathersMC

Feathersmc.com: Home

John takes credit cards and PayPal

The second is in Denmark and comes from Jens Pilgaard at Fugl & Fjer

Fugl & Fjer Flytying, English version

If you purchase from Jens, you'll be sending him money in a magazine.

Good luck!

Allan
Old 02-06-2011, 09:02 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I finally finished my first attempt. It about ate my lunch for sure. The body looked good, but the married wings kind of disappeared. There are a lot of things wrong with the fly, I know. But it is easier to see what is wrong, than to get it right. I know once I put on the married wings it was gonna be rough. My pintail married to the wood duck, but the tip was a little loose. While adjusting feathers I knocked it out of being in a married state, they are now separated, and many others with them...This is the same body I did originally. I cut the married wing off of the fly, and redid it. Then putting on the roof, I messed up more feathers. I played and arranged till I had enough. I learned a lot though. No way am I ready for a Jock Scott. If I cannot do a better Silver Doc, I will hold off a while.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:41 PM

Kelly,

Looks like you had some nice married strips in the primary wing. I can't keep anything married to Wood Duck; that's why I've been putting on the Wood Duck sides all by themselves.

Looks like the lengths on the GP tippet, the underwing and the married wing are pretty good.

Body looks good, but there's so much going on at the head of the fly with all of the wing tie-ins, that if I were to tie another, I would do as Allen did; just a ring of red wool at the back of the head and the head itself finished off with black thread, lacquered.

Allan
Old 02-18-2011, 08:34 PM

Thank you Allan for the critique. I do think I went too far with the wool on the head too. I think I was very disappointed after the wings, and I just wanted to get the fly done at that point. I need to do another, but have not had enough nerve to do so at this point. I haven't tied anything lately. It seems spring is right around the corner. I cannot wait.