The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default My Silver Doctor & Jock Scott;

After three hours at the vise I have the silver doctor Of course my fly has to be a little different than the others on the thread but the changes aren't that many. These flies have many forms and the one I tied was the way I first learned to tie it. I am happy with the overall balance of the tying and am posting both side views and a look strait down at the top.

The notes below are the changes made;

I used a standard single salmon in size 1

My wing is a simple four step with some bronze mallard as a sheath on top

There is no barred wood duck but I add Macaw horns & jungle cock cheeks

I used to paint my heads red but here I finished with red silk & two coats of lacquer

Starboard Side View;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Strait Down on The Top;

Port Side View;

Hope you like that,

Ard

I chose to edit the Jock Scott into this post since they are catch up tying. After making this fly I realized why I quit tying this pattern almost 30 years ago. I did not leave any materials out but some are hidden beneath others. Experience taught me not to mess with one of these when it is done so some stuff remains hidden. The JC nail on the right side broke after it was tied in and so it is.........................

The top;

The left or back side;

I would like to tell you that I enjoyed making this fly but that would not be true. This took over 4 hours of my life and I am less than impressed with the result. I will probable use this to fish with and I really hope I catch a salmon on it, that would make the work worth while................

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 03-08-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:27 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Salmon Fly Tie-Along?

Saaawwweeettttt!
Old 03-07-2011, 03:00 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Allan Nice job on the step by step and nicely tied. those crest feathers You have are very nicely cascading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wovenstonefly View Post
Here are a couple I tied up. the first is a blind eye I tied a while ago, The second I tied last night and today.
Click the image to open in full size.

Allan Very nice tie!, I like the broarder married strips alot and how little of the turkey is showing (I see that one is more of a kelson dress)

Great job on the doctor Ard.

Im going to lower the bar a little, here is a mickey spey I tied last night before bed, the hackle is a little full but I think the rooster was just a little hairy

This one is tyed on a #4 hook (and the first married wing I have set)

Ill finnish the silver nurse tonight and post tomoro night hopefully

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 03-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Allen & Chris,

Love the flies, Allen the Scott is a beautiful job of proportioning, I said I would tie one up so I will try to do it tonight but wow your fly is nice.

Chris, I like seeing hair wings turn into feather wings and your take on the Micky Finn may just get you a salmon down there. Salmon are hard to predict as far as what will be the order of the day. I would not pass up swinging that fly in front of them

Ard

Old 03-07-2011, 05:33 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Allen, I like both of those flies. The second one is really nice; you got the peacock swords looking really good and the horns really set up the pattern. I like your use of the reddish veiling for the back body segment. I played around with yellow; several feather types, and nothing came out looking right.

Ard, your SD just plain works for me! Nice balance and colors. I really like the married wing and the way that the upper topping cascades over it; horns look nice and I really like the red lacquered head with the thin collar behind. I love it when you can look down on the Salmon fly and see that it's all straight down the hook. That means that the underwing of GP tippet was straight; the overwing was straight and the married wing was straight. Get the first one wrong and you can kiss the others goodbye! I do like it - and, if it's any consolation - you tied yours in 1/2 the time that it took me to tie mine!

Chris, I like your Mickey Spey- exactly where we're heading with the next pattern - the Green King.

Allan
Old 03-08-2011, 01:21 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Here is my silver nurse, I had a real struggle getting the wing how I wanted it (6 goes I think) unfortunatly the bustard came off the top may reinforce it with pheasant or turkey next time, and then.....oh the head is suposed to be yellow

On to the doctor next

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 03-08-2011, 01:47 AM
Administrator

Wow Chris,

That is beautiful, you tie that like you've been doing it for years!

I am tying a Jock Scott now, the body is done and I'm going to bed. Nice fly mate,

Are

Old 03-08-2011, 05:19 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, Chris, that's a nice looking fly! I particularly like the color blue that you put into the married wing and the width of your bands. Put a SD blue throat on that and I think it would look super (looks good now, though).

Good luck with the SD!!

Pocono
Old 03-08-2011, 05:44 AM

Thanks Ard, and Allan

The wing was suposed to be royal blue I thought but I like this colour better (it is what they sent), the throat I have is royal blue with natural gallania over, what is sd (summer duck?), I do think a throat the same colours as the wing would look much smarter

for width I went 4 of each colour and 1 bustard.

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

Old 03-08-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinselwynNZ View Post
what is sd (summer duck)
Chris
Chris, SD = Silver Doctor! Good luck on it.

Allan