The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 08:02 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Salmon Fly Tie-Along?

No the mallard I used for the throat...and the bronze feather for the wing is what separated. I should of done the throat, then did the wing. The second fly I did it that way, and it looked better. The spey hackle is longer than the mallard throat, so it looks kid of cruddy. I just put black nail polish on the head. I will try one more, and see if it is better. If not I will get a photo of fly number two.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:01 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly, isn't the bronze feather that you used for the wing bronze mallard? If your throat hackle is too short, then try using Guinea Fowl; which has plenty of long hackles.

Allan
Old 03-20-2011, 07:51 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Yes, my bronze feather for wing is bronze mallard. My spey hackle is long, but there is not a long stem, just the hackle is long. My guinea hackle is shorter than my regular mallard for the throat. I will look around today to see what else I can use. Thanks for the comments.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:49 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly, if the only long hackle that you have is your spey hackle, then you can use that. Just fold a fresh hackle, tie it in at the throat, give it 2-3 wraps and you'll have a collar with barbs the same length as your palmered hackle. The only downside, is that it will look the same as the palmered hackle; but that's not much of a downside.

Allan
Old 03-20-2011, 04:08 PM

Yes, that is a possible way out of this. I was going to tie today, but got tied up with family stuff. Maybe I can tie some later this evening.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:28 PM

Jock O'Dee - Recipe

Here's the recipe for the last pattern in this tie-along; the Jock O'Dee.

Like the Spey patterns, this type of Salmon fly takes its name after another river in the UK; the Dee.

River Dee, Aberdeenshire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The characteristics of this type of pattern are: large, heavy hooks, thin bodies, long palmered hackle barbs and flat-tied wings.

Jock O'Dee

1. Hook: Partridge Bartleet CS10/1 or any Dee iron
2. Thread: Danville Flymaster 6/0, white and black
3. Tag: Tinsel, oval, silver, sm.
4. Tail: Golden Pheasant topping / Indian Crow sub.
5. Body: back 2/5th - lemon floss / front 3/5th - black floss
6. Ribs: Tinsel, flat, silver, med. / tinsel, oval silver, med.
7. Hackle: Spey hackle sub.
8. Throat: Widgeon
9. Wing: Cinnamon Turkey tail slips

I ended up using a new Salmon fly hook and for the Spey sub., I used Blue-eared Pheasant. The rest is according to the recipe in Tom's book.

I'll try to get the step-by-step posted before next weekend.

Post of PM me if you have any questions on materials.

Pocono
Old 03-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

My Jock O'Dee is done;

I have seen many examples of this style fly and always thought the wings looked as if they would be difficult to place. I was right, I managed to set them flat and in a basic delta but didn't enjoy the process. I am posting now because I have made 2 of them and i don't think I'll stay at it until I have mastered the technique. I figure the fly will work for catching fish and look forward to ice out so I can try it.

Ard

I tied them on #4 hook;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

A look from above;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 03-21-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:02 AM

Ard, that's a good looking fly! I agree, the winging is not the simplest; makes you appreciate being able to seat the wing on the top of the hook, rather than having to pinch both sides of the wing slip around it.

Your wing placement is almost exactly the same as what Tom used in his illustration. So, I'd say that you've got it down! Here's an illustration pic of his Jock O'Dee (it's not the greatest pic, I had to scan it into my computer as a pic file, so the sizing is off some).

Click the image to open in full size.

The step-by-step is done; I'm in NYC today and will try to get it posted up tonight.

Thanks for posting your fly!

Pocono
Old 03-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Thanks Allan,

The way the wings are set it looks like they will lay right in against the top flanks of the fly when it is pulled through the water so I would guess the design is a good one. I knew that the butt ends of the wings were not to be stacked but to be side by side. That was what gave me heart burn. I tried using some really nicely marked gold pheasant tail slips but when I would draw them up tight the fibers came apart. That was a bummer because the material had a really good look and that was what I wanted to use.

I may go back on my crybaby statement and try one more with a different wing. I figure goose would work great because you can mess with it a bunch before it separates. I have some pretty diverse colors of goose that I made just so I could make wings that weren't the commercial colors. That would be a good way to go forward with this style fly maybe. Anyway it was a learning experience and had you not started this thread I wouldn't have tied a Dee...........

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-22-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
.......I knew that the butt ends of the wings were not to be stacked but to be side by side.
Ard,

Yes, that's true. But, take a deep breath, because what you're going to see in the step-by-step cuts back across the grain of traditional Dee pattern wing mounting; I did stack the butt ends of my wing slips...................and I don't mind the effect at all.

Last pattern - time for a few liberties!

Pocono