The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 08:48 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Salmon Fly Tie-Along?

I did that last spey fly today, and it looks pretty bad. The Jock O' Dee body was alright. It is the cruddy spey hackle, and getting the wings to set right etc... Still, if I don't do another tomorrow, I guess I will post a picture of this one. My wings were way too high too. The fly looks good if you didn't know what it was supposed to look like...rotflmbo.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:34 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Click the image to open in full size.

Don't say you weren't warned. It is ugly as sin, but at least I attempted it. My wings would not set low. I need to try this again, I know it is not good at all. But I told you I made one...
Old 04-04-2011, 04:55 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly, On the Dee style flies you're setting your wings horizontally on the hook. If you do that, then they should naturally stay down because they're being compressed in from the sides towards the hook; not compressed down like they would be on a Spey of regular Salmon pattern. Mottled Turkey should work well for you. The body, throat, tail/tag and head all look fine to me.

Pocono
Old 04-04-2011, 08:27 AM

I thought when I tied this in, the wings were touching the hook shank, but when I did a loop, and pulled tight, they were up. I tried about four times on the wing...lol. This wing was cinnamon turkey. I may have a go at this pattern again today, but with different hackle.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:31 PM

I did not have appropriate spey hackle, so I used American Rooster Hackle. This is the second attempt. A little better maybe, but still not enough to make me happy.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:54 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly, I think that the Whiting American hackle looks a lot better than the other; the other looked too limp for the pattern. You're wing is definitely down and looks like it's well-paired at the tie-in point. A really tight squeeze and some spit helps keep the palmered hackle down.

I think it looks good!

Pocono
Old 04-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Poc, thought I would let you know, I SCORED a beautiful Jungle Cock cape at the Utah fly tying expo...WOHOOO!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:42 AM

Thanks Allan. I kept holding it, and pulling it down. I even wet my fingers and held it down. I guess I don't have enough force in my fingers to do it, or I didn't do it long enough. I am glad you liked this one better.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
.........I SCORED a beautiful Jungle Cock cape at the Utah fly tying expo...WOHOOO!
Good JC capes (AA or better) aren't easy to come by. Great score! No more gluing broken nails for you...right?

Pocono

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
Thanks Allan. I kept holding it, and pulling it down. I even wet my fingers and held it down. I guess I don't have enough force in my fingers to do it, or I didn't do it long enough. I am glad you liked this one better.
Kelly, It's getting time for you to take that "Salmon fishing" vacation. I think you'll be pleased with the way that your flies perform in the water.

Pocono
Old 04-05-2011, 07:59 PM

Allan, that would be wonderful. I wish I could. Maybe one of these days I can. My dream is to take a trip like that.